HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2007, 07:27 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
And the 141% would make a good trainer, it flies so easily.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2007, 12:57 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey Hans-Joachim,

Hi! Thank you very much for that information. I think that is the size I will try to build it at.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old May 23, 2007, 01:08 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
I think the F-16 has such lovely lines-You will really enjoy making this bird. You will need to get into your depron shaping quote heavi;y, but the end result is well worth the effort.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old May 23, 2007, 01:09 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
And the 141% would make a good trainer, it flies so easily.

J
Looks superb John, could be the genuine artical, and a scale modeller can't ask for more?
Old May 23, 2007, 01:14 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Joachim
Hi Matt, a 35inc ws (117 % size) would be the right size with your setup for me. The MiG-21 motor is in my 65% size F-16, now. Iīll upload a picture from the 141% and 65% size F-16 and the MiG-21, this way youīll get a better idea about the size.

Hi Adrian, itīs good that you placed the pivot point more forward. ESC, battery wire and rx are on the left side of the vertical profile and the battery hatch is on the right side. The canopy is fixed
and the hatch is closed with velcro tape. This is the best solution for me and itīs stabil.

Greeting Hans-Joachim
I just wondered that if on this small scale F-16, you had to remove a lot of the fuselage former, and therefore strength at the front, one of the most vulnersable areas, to accomodate a battery??-I just wondered how you kept the build robust? Any chance of a side view of your battery mounting?
Old May 23, 2007, 02:20 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Revised to H-J's original design

Servos, elevons and pivot points all now as per H-J's original drawing-I don't know how/why I got it wrong, but there we go-Thanks for noticing Hans as it could have caused problems. AUW including an allowance of 1oz for paint finish-10.5oz. as EDF unit came from an Alfa models F-86 wieghing 16oz it should be OK?
Old May 23, 2007, 03:16 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Wow, looking great Adrian! Really superb. I really like the way that you got the elevators to droop. Also that intake looks great, I like the way you got the intake to work.
Oh yeah, you should be more than cool with that Alfa EDF set-up! Man, I saw a vid of someone flying their Alfa F-86 with that new Jetscreamer motor and the Alfa 3-blade fan, dude it was going like 84 mph or something like that! Someone did some sort of "doppler" radar test on it. It was flyin'! I bet it'll be fun for you to fly with the Alfa fan.
Might I ask, did you use 3mm foam for this build? Just wondering because it sure did turn out nice and light! also, did you just install the elevons in their drooping state and then sand the carbon rod that was above the joint away until it was smooth? Just tryin' to figure out how you got the elevons to droop like that, it looks cool.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:36 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Thanks Matt- Yes all 3mm except wings/elevons and fueselage main 'skeleton' & formers-all fuselage skins 3mm formed using very hot water method (got to get the depron grain in most flexible position for the way you want to bend) No C/F on elevons-They are so small at this size, there will be no flex but to be sure I used a bit of hard grade (I don't know the correct term?) balsa wood epoxied along the elevon L/E- stiffness and light. Gee Whiz 84mph!!! I hope not!!! Not yet at any rate-I m going away for a couple of weeks but hope to maiden this (may need buddy box help) as soon as I am back as I really want to see this go- I will post a vid/pics. As elevons are epoxied straight on to the (centred!) servo arms it was just a matter of lining the droop angle up until set, again as per H-J's build.

Hans-How much movement have you got on your elevons?
Last edited by electriceye; May 24, 2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:05 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey Electriceye,

Howdy! Thanks for all of that info. That'll probably be useful to have in the future. Sounds cool.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:24 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,122 Posts
She looks very, very good, Adrian. Elevons/elevators are moving not more than 1/2 inc or 1,27 cm up and down. You have to watch for the weight. Mine is in the air with 360g / 12.7 oz. When you are flying EDF, youīll fly full throttle most of the time to get enough thrust. Sheīs flying fast and youīll need a bigger area to fly. I have to look ~200 feet in flight direction many times, to react fast enough. The only moment to relax at full speed is during vertical climbs, but after some seconds, sheīs out of my view. Donīt get me wrong, itīs so much fun and Iīm flying her every day a few time since some weeks, now. Itīs like Formular One in the sky and sheīs flying scale 1/20 Mach II.

You should fly your 100% size F-16 first for a while, before you self start moving your little beauty!

Itīs like BG J said: "the 141% would make a good trainer, it flies so easily"

Greetings
Hans-Joachim

PS: Hey Matt, you are online Whatīs your local time, now?
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old May 25, 2007, 10:35 AM
rph
Finland
Joined Jan 2007
20 Posts
[QUOTE=Hans-Joachim]Hi Rami, reading Frederic Wergelandīs great electric motortest.pdf, the 8x6 apc E prop must be the best solution for an axi 2212/20 on 3s packs.

Thanks Hans, last time I tried Apc 9 x 4.7 slowfly. Worked also fine, only took 16.4A . Last week I had a bad Glitch, see the pic below

Greetings
Rami
rph is offline Find More Posts by rph
Old May 25, 2007, 11:43 AM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Rami, nice restoration on the damages to the F16. Nice repair work. That had to hurt.
Part of modeling to to crash and rebuild them; fortunately it was repairable.
I really like the tiger scheme, goes very well on the F16.

RAFster
David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old May 25, 2007, 03:18 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey Hans-Joachim,

Hi! Ha, that's funny. Well, the thing is, I usually just leave the internet with this window up on my computer, so even when I'm asleep this site probably still says I'm online. A little bit misleading, perhaps. I think it's only when I close the window that it says that this computer is off-line.
Wow, a scale mach II huh? That must be pretty fast!
Old May 25, 2007, 04:59 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Assuming at sea level, speed of sound is about 761 miles/hour so, Mach 2 would be 1522 mph. 1/20 scale Mach 2 would be 76.1 mph. Yep, pretty fast for a little bitty airplane. Mach 5 would be 190 mph.

If the air molecules scaled as well then 250 feet woudl be equivalent to 5000 feet at 1/20th scale.
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old May 26, 2007, 04:13 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Hi, H-J, yes I realise this will be a bit of missile-It certainly won't be flown by me until ready- I may get one of the trainers at my club to fly, it get it trimmed etc, but it certainly won't be my first jet to fly- I have Steve Shumate f-15 ready to go which everyone says is fairly docile for a pusher jet, then I will start moving up. I'd love to build the 141% F-16, but I got to stop building and get some of these flown!!! I just love building!! What can you do?!
Happy flying!!