SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:35 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-inspecto
J Morgan: John, glad to here you made it back. I hope all went well. I am not enveious of you when it comes to moving. I would need two semi truck's.

Cecil
It is a little scary Cecil.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:19 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
HJ/Rane F-16XL

Just a couple of pics of my H-J/Rane design inspired F-16XL- I thought it would be interesting to finish it in Belgian Tiger Meet scheme, although I took some liberties with the design. Will maiden as soon as weather permits (and I have my new Futaba 6EXA TX sorted out). I always think that it is only fair to show the guys that have shared their designs the finished examples-Thanks guys for sharing is all I can say.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:29 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,769 Posts
That's a beautiful scheme EE. Very nice. Good luck on maiden.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:14 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Thanks J-M, means a lot coming from you-
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Fantastic job on the XL ElectricEye!!! I've added your Jet to Rane's XL page Best of luck on the Maiden Flight!!! Can we look forward to a video?

Tom
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:55 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,138 Posts
Adrian,

thatīs a great looking F-16 XL!!

Can we see a picture from the vertical tiger meet fin, too?

Hey, itīs time for some maiden flights with more than one of your F-16ns.
You are a great builder! Good luck!

Hans-Joachim
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Jan 22, 2007, 05:46 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Thanks guys-Your comments mean a lot-I will try and sort out some vids as soon as flying weather arrives-We are just about to get into a late winter here in the UK, plus very high winds (out of interest I was a passenger in a 737 landing at London Gatwick last week in those high winds-Truly amazing how they get a big bird like that down safely-It also made for an 'exciting' flight to say the least!! Cheers guys, video will be sent asap-
H-J, the fin 'Tiger' is only a blow up from an image on the net-nothing clever I'm afraid but it looks cool if incorrect scale wise
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:14 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,343 Posts
I recall Rane lost his to aileron flutter or something similar. How are your controls set up?
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:26 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
I have seperate aileron & elevator (Outer aileron, inner elevator) also 2 C/F rods, 1 about 1/3 of the wing from where the leading edge meets the fuselage and the other at the widest wing span-It is very rigid!!, there will not be any flutter.

Rane used elevons-I toyed with this idea, but decided against it, although there is no reason elevons should not work-Stormotronix (I think was his site name) submitted awesome videos of his F-16XL powered by both pusher (see back in the posts) and EDF with no flutter problems but he reinforced his wings, which is why I reinforced mine-That is where the problem lies, I think. Very small wieght gain adding a few inches of C/F rod, although I believe Stormotrnix used C/F strips along the leading edge-I didn't like that idea so much -even though Storm's flight vids are awesome, and was what inspired me to build an XL-as whilst the leading edge would be very tough, I thought it not very aerodynamic so went for the extra C/F rod across the wingspan.
Last edited by electriceye; Jan 22, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:28 AM
Joined Oct 2006
39 Posts
Congratulations electriceye

Really great looking Paintscheme!

Did you decide on your setup yet?

Will you go EDF or pusher?

(Mine is waiting for a new Motor, to be reconverted to a pusher , as it flies easier, slower and more acrobatic than with the Minifan480-> this has gone into a HET F-18, where it can be much faster, because it is not slowed down by huge unprofiled delta wings)

Greetings and a (late) happy new year to everyone in this thread!
stormtronix is offline Find More Posts by stormtronix
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:00 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Thanks mate-It is all set up for an AXI silver 2212/20 if that is what you wanted to know-I will let you all know how it goes once the weather is OK!! I posted the pics without the motor mounted (obviously) as I just wanted to get it out there. It is not scale strctly speaking as there has never been a Tiger meet F-16xl, or one with that design and the tiger on the fin, but I thought if I'm going 'fantaasy' finish, why not go the whole way!!!
As I said it was the awesome performance of your XL that made me say, "I've just got to build one" -Please let us know how you are getting on? I even thought your EDF flew really well but it is interesting that you found the pusher version better, as Hans-Joachim did I believe?-The only thing about EDF versions is they are really cool looking as there is,of course, no prop and hence look far more authentic!! I suppose it is all down to whatever gives the more fun?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:33 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,138 Posts
Good Luck For The Maiden Flight, Adrian!!

Donīt forget to take a video!

HJ
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:31 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Hi Hans- I will try and get a video/stills of my maiden posted. What are you working on or thinking of working on next?
Old Feb 07, 2007, 03:50 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceye
Hi Hans- I will try and get a video/stills of my maiden posted. What are you working on or thinking of working on next?
Hi Adrian, after building and flying Adrielīs cool F/A-28 design, I started this one, today.

Weather will be cold again, so we have to wait for one of your F-16 maiden flights some more days?

HJ
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:14 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Adrian,

I hope your maiden flight goes great man! Have fun!

H-J,

Sweet! Man, that looks really neat, I hope you have a great first flight with it! Are you going to build the X-Wing's full fuselage, or just leave it 2D? Man, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so I'd want to build one for sure if you're making plans! I've seen another RC x-wing around here, but it had canards and although they probably improved the flight characteristics, it just didn't look right with those little wings up front. So I hope yours flies great!
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955