HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2007, 06:26 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,207 Posts
Great job Andy, likewise, congrats on both! It is a wonderfully flying design isn't it! HJ knows what he's doing.
I have a Mega 16/15/5 on mine now and it hauls a$$ on it. But mine got heavy too and I wasn't happy with the AXI. Don't be afraid to go with a heavier motor & batt, the design handles increased weight just fine.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2007, 06:53 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
Really cool! Congrats on the successful maiden flight!

RAFster
David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:20 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
Iīve got an e-mail from a man, who isnīt in this forum.
Heīs building the 141% F-16C and has mailed some pictures.

Isnīt she looking nice!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:39 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,207 Posts
It looks great and we know he will be amazed at how well it flies too! I changed motors to an AXI 2808/20 before I left for TN and can't wait to try it when I return.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2007, 04:10 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
beautiful job-Is it EDF do you know? Or is this pic minus the pusher setup? It would be intersting to know what power system is etc? You must be rightfully proud of all the models from your design?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Jan 15, 2007, 07:30 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
Good morning J, are you back home?
Let me know, how your AXI 2808/20 works in the big one!

Adrian, itīs a pusher setup. He said, he will use an Axi 2814/16 with 3s1p2200 or a 3s1p3200 later.

HJ
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:12 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Joachim
Good morning J, are you back home?
Let me know, how your AXI 2808/20 works in the big one!

Adrian, itīs a pusher setup. He said, he will use an Axi 2814/16 with 3s1p2200 or a 3s1p3200 later.

HJ
Morning Hans,
Nope, still trying to fight thru the ice storm to get there. Hope to make South Dakota today and get into Gillette Tuesday. Been gone since the 1st and I'm ready to get back. Have alot of things to do.
Bought another house in my hometown ( Mt Carmel, IL) and our daughter is renting it from us. Now I need to load all her stuff up and head back again!
Then Feb 15th we are leaving for Florida for 10 days. So my building will be limited for awhile.
The place in TN will be about 5 hours driving to where our kids live so that will be alot easier.
If I get a chance to fly the big 16, I will let you know how it performs but you already know it will fly good, it's your design!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:10 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
Morning J,

have you found your way back home?

Our local Military Airport is closed since 02:00 pm this afternoon. Iīm at home with my family, now. Looks like, we get bad weather. A Gale with gusts of wind up to 130 mph.

Since a tornado hit our house and all the trees in the garden some years ago, Iīm a bit careful, too.

HJ
Last edited by Hans-Joachim; Jan 18, 2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:21 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,207 Posts
Morning Hans,( or should I say good afternoon?)
130 mph? Oh my God! Please stay under cover. I went thru a tornado several years ago too, it is not fun. Very scary.
We made it back Tuesday evening. Long trip, I was ready to get home. Now waiting for real estate agent to call with counter offer on the house. Hope we can settle this by the end of the week. If so, figure on moving by May or June.
Have no idea how I will be able to move all these planes!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:51 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts

RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:53 AM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Tom, you crack me up!
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:16 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
John,
Glad you arrved safe.
Parts of TN have tornados as well, might want to build a storm shelter in the basement if you don't have one.
What ever yo do with the planes, just don't trust movers with them.
I did and regret it.

How far is it from Gilette to where you are going in TN?
I would suggest if you can get them to consider using those PODS moving containers. They drop them off, you fill them up and they pick it up. Given pot holes and speed bumps and the like you will need to cushion them well.
A few years ago I saw photos of a guy's full sized plane he shipped by truck across the country and they took the wings off and strapped it down by the gear. Apparently they hit lots of potholes and the like and the truck's suspension didn't cushion the load from the bumps much. The landing gear had been driven up into the fuselage about 4 inches shattering the longerons and stringers in that area and breaking the formers the landing gear were attached. It sheared and broke the vertical formers the landing gear plate was attached and the plane was a writeoff. The plane was a biplane that was plywood and spruce construction with some aircraft aluminum tubing and built and rated for aerobatics and I think in excess of 6 or 7 Gs. The owner never considered the gear could do that kind of damage. It was a long road trip around 2K miles or more...

How about:
Build Large boxes with those inflated air bag packing and peanuts lay the plane in with more peanuts and air bag then peanuts to level a layer of cardboard for vertical separation more peanuts and airbags and the next plane followed by airbags and peanuts.
After you are moved, bag the peanuts and resell them to a local box shop/shipping store for 1/2 of what you paid for them. Finding out what they paid for them would be beneficial so you can match or come in just below their price and you recoop your investment.

For all the planes in storage, not actively flying...which do you want to keep? Sell the rest here on RCGroups in the for sale forum. They would be prized possessions by many here even if they needed some minor repairs. I know it is tough to let go of things you have invested time and care into.
Else you will need a couple of Tom's mobile hangers for the planes and household goods.
How much can you buy an ocean freight cargo container for? That is a solid structure that you could hang onto as long as you sealed any leaks first. It could store your planes until you had a pole barn or other structure for a modelng workshop/storage area.

David
RAFster
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Hans,

Hello bud been a while what have you been working on lately? That one above looks great!

Tips
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:07 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,207 Posts
Tom,
You are alot closer than you know on that semi! I have already figured that I will fly back, rent U-Haul's largest truck and hope(?) I can get everything in it. Looking over everything, it is daunting to say the least!
David,
Packing for Vegas gave me a real understanding how tough it will be. I only built boxes for the F-16 & F-15. Those two boxes almost filled the back of the pickup. And they are by far not my largest planes. I am thinking hard on how to do this but it will take a BIG truck. Where there is a will....there is a way.
The place in TN doesn't have a basement but the garage is concrete block so it will hopefully be a safe place. I've been thru one and hopefully my last tornado. They are not fun at all. Many houses in TN don't have basements because there is solid rock very close to the surface.
But I made an offer and the guy's taking his time and sort of being a jerk about a counter offer. So it may fall thru, I'll only let him pull my chain so long and then I'm looking again. His loss.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:21 PM
AMA848091
St. Charles, MO.
Joined Apr 2003
493 Posts
J Morgan: John, glad to here you made it back. I hope all went well. I am not enveious of you when it comes to moving. I would need two semi truck's.

Cecil
flying-inspecto is offline Find More Posts by flying-inspecto