SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:23 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Awesome!!!

Stormotronix, that minifan F-16 video is AWESOME/Magnificent!!!-I've downloaded and studied most foam (Pusher mostly) jets on this forum, but I have to say, your model is stunning!!! What is your setup? It even sounds like it is in business!!? It looks like a 100% size Han-J design with the swept delta wing mod? Please tell me what you can, AUW motor, build (6mm foam??) etc!!! Phew!!! Well done!! Just got to get me one of those mini-fans to try on an H-J design F-16. Did you vary much from the standard plans to install the fan? Any drawings/advice on ducting/fan install??
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Last edited by electriceye; Oct 18, 2006 at 01:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:30 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
F-16 Xl

Wow!! These were maiden flights??? I'm speechless-Fantastic!! Out of interest which one do you think flew the best? It looks equal but the fan takes the lead in my opinion as it really is a jet, no props showing!!!
Last edited by electriceye; Oct 18, 2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:25 AM
Joined Oct 2006
39 Posts
F-16 XL Specifications

thanks for your kind words electriceye - your right - it is the 100% F16 from Hans Joachims plans with the XL-Wing modification. Ive build it as described by H-J in 6mm Depron - it has
AUW 800g as Pusher-Prop with AXI 2808 with 8x8 APC elektro Prop
AUW 930 g with the Minifan 480 with an Typhon/HET 2w-20 (~50A at 4s Lipo --> 700 W !!!)

My only modification is the way I reinforced the wing (and body) to avoid flutter - problems:

I did not use one carbon rod/tube but several strips of carbon (0,5x3mm)
and one arround the wing, going strait through to the nose and also, to reinforce the body one strip on the top of the upper profile part and on the lower profile part.
And (as Im not a paint master ) I used black oracover for the finish, which can be used on depron (nearly) as well as on wood, but gives the depron a lot of strength and avoids the small holes from landing in the fields . I left some parts uncovered for better visibility in flight.

To your question about the minifan-installation:
this is not yet resolved - as i couldnt wait to fly it Ive mounted it with epoxy on the downside (you can see it for a short moment at teh beginning of the minifan-vid)
I wanted to mount it in the intake but had not enough room for it - only a lack of a few mm - so i removed the back-part of the intake and just glued it there - i will try to form a larger intake (6mm Depron) and hope it wont degrade the efficency of the fan.
stormtronix is offline Find More Posts by stormtronix
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:05 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Thanks for your detailed reply-If the mini-fan flies that well as it is I should imagine you would only improve performance with proper ducting? Any chance of a few detail close ups? Super job!!
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:29 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
Welcome on rcgroups, stormtronix
youve done a great job on your F-16XL!

And it looks like, youve allot of fun,
flying her with both setups, too!!

COOL! 700 WATT!

Quick Time Player works for me.
This is a very good quality for a mobile phone cam!
Thank you for sharing!

Greetings and Happy Flying

Hans-Joachim
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:47 AM
Joined Oct 2006
39 Posts
Thanks again - Ill try to sort my pictures asap , Ive documented the building process...

For your question which one flies better:

The pusher-prop version flies more like a parkjet, easy to handle even at very low speeds (Ive no comparison but Im sure it flies easier than the "normal" F16 because of the bigger wing 120% sice of the "normal" and can also handle more weight - at least that was why they constructed it)

The Minifan version is not so easy to handle because of the higher AUW and because of the high speed (not measured yet but airflow should be around 50 m/s at 14 N thrust) - it flies more like a "real" jet

- the sun is shining here at the moment at 16C and NO wind and in one hour Im gonna finish my work and go to the field - its a real adventure and great fun to fly this thing every time - happy flying to everybody !!!
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:56 AM
Joined Oct 2006
39 Posts
Thank you Hans - Joachim !

I couldnt have done this without your great plans, fotos and explanations - so part of my Jet is your Job! Many thanks again for sharing all this and keeping this great thread up - of course also many thanks to all the other builders who shared their experience here and specially to Carl whose video finally let me dicide to build the XL version!

Thank you all!
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:46 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Hi Stormtronix, Your XL flys wonderful!! If you can post a photo I'd like to add it to Rane's XL plans page on Parkjets.com

Thank you
Tom - Milwaukee
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
39 Posts
here some inflight pics - building pics to follow after sorting
Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:33 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Thanks-Some build pics would be really great-I bet both Hans-Joachim & Rane are impressed? Assuming you are using 'elevon' control do you have a transmitter with mixing or did you use a 'V' tail mixer? Your model is another tribute to H-J's fantastic design, which imho is one of the best looking foam jets.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:31 PM
U.K
Joined Jan 2005
266 Posts
stormtronix

me too looking forward to build pics

Ray
cadetman is offline Find More Posts by cadetman
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:02 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
Yes, please let the pictures come!!

HJ
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:15 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
Hi Adrian,

have you got your setup?

HJ
Old Oct 21, 2006, 09:19 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Hi H-J,

Thanks for asking. I have 'mothballed' my F-16 for the moment-I wanted to get more experience flying an F-15 before trying out my F-16. Once I have the F-15 flying mastered I will revisit the F-16, but would also like to build an EDF F-16XL as per Stormotronix, then there is your Mustang, ME262, F104 plus a real neat Mirage built by a Swiss guy to name a few...so many models so little time BUT your F-16 remains, in my opinion, the best looking, most rewarding to build.

The crazy think is I now have F-15,F-16 and F-18, all finished (I think this confirms I have 'Foam plane addiction!!'),but sadly have flown none of them yet as didn't have correct motor/esc/battery combo (not helped by a faulty bl motor/ ESC that wasted a lot of time)-But I believe I have that sorted out now-In my F-15 I have an E-max 2212, 40A esc and a 2200mah 11.1 volt Li-po coming in the post any day-Hoping to maiden F-15 next week weather permitting-I will post pics etc on F-15 post.

Just a quick thank you to H-J, Steve and the others for sharing their plans, builds & expertise and everyone else for making this site the best.

Happy flying H-J and all, keep the passion and the designs coming!

P.S. What are you working on or thinking about next? You must have something planned?
Old Oct 21, 2006, 09:24 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,202 Posts
electriceye,
You'll enjoy the F-15, a sweet flying airplane. Just remember, hold a little power at all times, it is a pusher jet and needs the airspeed to maintain authority over the control surfaces. But of course chop it when you flare for landing. Good luck.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans