SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:22 PM
Rex-a-holic
Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2004
239 Posts
don't want to start a mess - "big" electric question

I swear I use search! I'm having a hard time figuring something out that the right person could probably answer quite quickly. Unfortunately it's a bit open ended so I'll try and keep it simple.

I've got a T-Rex and I am bit hard by the electric heli thing. I'm pretty up to speed on that size and smaller helis. I'm still a while out but I'm getting pretty proficient and I see some limits of the micros with servo size etc. and some of the bigger helis are very interesting. Is there a simple guide to what choices there are for those bigger (and seemingly mega $ - makes my little Rex seem cheap cheap) helis?

Can someone either point me to a current guide of some sort of maybe just lay out the basic four or five models (is it that simple?) by size and I'll do the research myself from there out. This is by no means a "what's best" kinda question. Just maybe a quick size chart that starts above Rex and goes up.

Thanks!
d.
dgoss is offline Find More Posts by dgoss
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:27 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
EBHG on top sticky talk about beginner's heli in mini-mid size. bigger helis needs to be searched. many are conversions from gas.

DO a search on E Raptors, logo 10, logo 20, joker, etc. well setup .50size E-raptor will cost about 2-3000 by the time you add the lipo packs. fair amount of choices, and really depends upon size desired and budget...
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:38 PM
Rex-a-holic
Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2004
239 Posts
Thank you Askman. I'll do some more searching based on your post.

A couple of things to clarify - I'm not after a beginner larger heli. I'm happy where I'm at but I'm just really intrigued to learn some about the bigger models. I see that many are in the $3k range. I think what's interesting is when they start to use digital servos, are large enough to lift camera platforms, etc. - things that aren't typically possible with micros.

Thanks again -
d.
dgoss is offline Find More Posts by dgoss
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:39 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
figure that eolo/eco size can lift about 1lb-1.5lb if setup correctly. 2-3lb for .30sized heli and goes up from there. lot of us have interest in AP, but not necessarily need or afford a large heli. eco/eolo setup will cost under 1000bucks. logo10 for slightly more(most because of motor/esc, and battery pack cost) and on upward. Ion X, Joker, and Eraptor are in 2+ catagory. good lipo packs for these helis are 500bucks a pack. logo10 will be about half that. eco8/eolo will be about 150/pack. price goes up in a hurry....
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2005, 01:21 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
I enjoy big heli's... I've had a logo 20, and now have a joker, but I have to state again that the costs are very high. I'm not a perfect pilot, and I crash, and crash costs are high... but setting it up is a small fortune. You have to know what you want.. before you get into it, unless you have a lot of money to spend. if you want large, got the dough, get a maxi joker...

r
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback