HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:07 PM
Nashville
Joined Apr 2004
297 Posts
Axi 2212 bearing replacement?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone replaced the bearings in their axi 2212? I have a 2212/34 whose shaft does not turn smoothly, and I hate to spend even 1/2 price to get a whole new motor. Thanks in advance!

John
button is offline Find More Posts by button
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2005, 01:17 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Funny you should post this..I am replacing mine as we speak. Problem #1 the rear bearing is 1/8" (.125") x 3/8" (.375") and no one in town has that size. The front is .125" x .312" (5/16") which is a common size ( at least around here it is.. ) and yes I called all 5 bearing stores. What I found was the back bearing was actually usable still but needed cleaning and re-greased but the front is very noisey and needs replacement. If the back bearing IS bad a 3/16" x 3/8" will work but the shaft will need to be sleeved out to .187". The bearing were pretty easy to get out with a punch rod and a tap with a small hammer device. Let me know how yours comes out and where you find the back bearing if you find 1..ok

Boss
Old Feb 18, 2005, 04:55 PM
Nashville
Joined Apr 2004
297 Posts
Hey Boss,

Are you sure those bearings aren't metric? I'm gonna go out to some bike shops tomorrow and see if they have a match, since I mucked the back one up trying to get it out with a screwdriver (woops!). I'll let ya know.

John
Old Feb 18, 2005, 05:23 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Check Tower Hobbies.com for both SAE and metric bearings. I thnk they are used in R/C cars
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Feb 18, 2005, 08:25 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Mar 2004
35 Posts
Check out: http://www.vxb.com/

A.
AndyMac is offline Find More Posts by AndyMac
Old Feb 18, 2005, 08:26 PM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
Bearing Supplier

Try Boca Bearings
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore
Old Feb 18, 2005, 08:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by button
Hello everyone,

Has anyone replaced the bearings in their axi 2212? I have a 2212/34 whose shaft does not turn smoothly, and I hate to spend even 1/2 price to get a whole new motor. Thanks in advance!

John
I've already done this, with bearings used in RC cars. Look here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...37#post2977637
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:16 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
The bearings are NOT metric...I was able to buy the small front bearing which is a 5/16" x 1/8" ( .312" x .125")...the rear bearing is not bad at all and can stay in until I get the 3/8" x 1/8" ( .375" x .125")...this is not a mistake. It should be a lot smoother and quiter now too... I loves that 2212/26...been a trouble free work horse for 2 yrs. now.

Boss
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:17 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
I've already done this, with bearings used in RC cars. Look here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...37#post2977637
Thanks for the link Tom...I did not do a search before posting.. Lazy...

Boss
Old Feb 19, 2005, 07:56 AM
Nashville
Joined Apr 2004
297 Posts
Tom, that info is gold- it oughta be a sticky. I'll look for those today.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 08:07 AM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by button
Tom, that info is gold- it oughta be a sticky. I'll look for those today.
Ya but I told you about it first... ..just kidding of course..Toms thread proved invaluable...thanks Tom.

On the rear bearing the .312 x .125 bearing will indeed work on thr rear if you use a sleeve. I found a small aluminum sleeve that is used on Tru-Turn spinners that comes in the spinner kits...it's .375"OD x .312" ID and fits perfect on the 5/16" bearing and fits perfect in the rear bearing seat. It's not as good as the 3/8" x 1/8" bearing that comes on the motor but it will work.

Boss
Old Feb 19, 2005, 09:53 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss248
The bearings are NOT metric...
I find this almost impossible to believe. Not impossible, mind you, but almost. The AXI motors are made in Pardubice, Czech Republic. They are engineered and manufactured by a Czechoslovakian company and the Czech Republic is on the European Continent.

And Europeans tend to think that the American systems of measurement are a joke.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:54 AM
Chilliwack, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
710 Posts
How do you know the bearings are bad, when you turn the shaft you can feel like theres sand in them?The reason I'm asking is because I bought a used axi from a ezone member just recently he said the motor was in perfect shape but I think It has a bad bearing. I'm not sure If the axi motors cog at all?when I turn the motor shaft it seems to cog only half a turn then turns smooth the other half turn?My motor Is a 2820/10 I have it in a scratch built 4*40 running on 10 cells.
fourstarforty is offline Find More Posts by fourstarforty
Old Feb 19, 2005, 02:21 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
I find this almost impossible to believe. Not impossible, mind you, but almost. The AXI motors are made in Pardubice, Czech Republic. They are engineered and manufactured by a Czechoslovakian company and the Czech Republic is on the European Continent.

And Europeans tend to think that the American systems of measurement are a joke.

Pete
The only thing I can figure is that maybe the metric bearings for 3mm I.D. did not come in a large enough O.D. to be as strong as the lager O.D. S.A.E. bearings..I have no idea but I can tell you with a 0 - 1" Starrett Micrometer the O.D. and I.D. mic .375" and .125" and .312 and .125. The front .312 (5/16) bearing fit just perfect in them motor. Maybe they got a righteous deal on some American bearing..who knows..it is odd though..that I agree on for sure but my micrometer does not lie..and I have been a machinist for a long time so I can read a micrometer...

Boss
Old Feb 19, 2005, 06:43 PM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstarforty
How do you know the bearings are bad, when you turn the shaft you can feel like theres sand in them?The reason I'm asking is because I bought a used axi from a ezone member just recently he said the motor was in perfect shape but I think It has a bad bearing. I'm not sure If the axi motors cog at all?when I turn the motor shaft it seems to cog only half a turn then turns smooth the other half turn?My motor Is a 2820/10 I have it in a scratch built 4*40 running on 10 cells.
Axi's definitely cog.
cathode is offline Find More Posts by cathode