HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2002, 04:51 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Anyone ever heard of a motor manufacturer named Air Supply, Inc.?y

Hi.
I have an 05 size motor with a sticker that reads Air Supply, Inc.
Machida, Tokyo, Japan.
It is very deep brown (looks black in some light) and has ball bearings. It has stong coging like a Magnetic Mayhem motor.
Anyone ever heard of these guys and have any technical info on this motor?
Thanks.
Rob.
RobZ is offline Find More Posts by RobZ
Last edited by RobZ; Mar 19, 2002 at 04:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2002, 09:02 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,013 Posts
I seem to remember these about 12 years ago. Mitch Poling wrote about them There was a gold and silver version - I don't remember if there was a quality difference or a winding difference between the two. They were quality ferrite motors, possibly strontium ferrite magnets.

Cheers,
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Mar 20, 2002, 06:54 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Irvine
I seem to remember these about 12 years ago. Mitch Poling wrote about them There was a gold and silver version - I don't remember if there was a quality difference or a winding difference between the two. They were quality ferrite motors, possibly strontium ferrite magnets.

Cheers,
Closer to 20! I used one in a very early electric project of mine which would put it in the 1982-83 range. I think Mitch might have even been out of the column writing business by 1990 - maybe not...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Mar 20, 2002, 10:54 AM
Micro Hydro Racer
Rocklin, Ca. USA
Joined May 2001
136 Posts
Had 2 of them - they were very strong...

My first one was the best (several years older than the second). It appeared to contain cobalt magnets, and would absolutely rip the tires off my 1/10th scale pan cars. It was the "ND10 - neo" motor of it's day.

"World engines" or "Global engines" I can't remember which, was the importer of the motor at the time. Since the first motor I had was purchased used, but very good, I decided to purchase a second new motor from the importer. It unfortunately was of a slightly less quality construction, and the magnets felt weaker. Still good, but not as good as the first.

I have since modified an 05 endbell to fit the original (best) can to enable the use of regular 05 armatures and modern brushes. It was one of my favorite motors - until I discovered the brushless motors.
Trent Hare is offline Find More Posts by Trent Hare
Old Mar 20, 2002, 11:33 AM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Hi Trent.
That's my motor alright (except for the rear end bell). Do you by chance remember how many turns this motor has?
Thanks.
Rob.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 12:06 PM
Micro Hydro Racer
Rocklin, Ca. USA
Joined May 2001
136 Posts
I believe mine was 17 turns.

I didn't unwrap it to verify. However, it's aramature stack was about 1-2mm shorter than a regular 05.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 12:54 PM
Gibraltar
Joined Jan 2001
133 Posts
I got one with my Kalt Whisper kit. It was a nice motor but didn't last long in the heli due to overheating. I have skimmed the armature and replaced the brushes and it now runs well.
It's a high quality ferrite with 2 ball bearings, replaceable brushes, variable timing,and triple wound. I don't know how many turns are on it.

There's some talk about them here.

http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/whispomt.htm

Mine has an orange/red label and is called Air Supply Pro Trix.

Andrew
Andrew Mifsud is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Mifsud
Old Mar 20, 2002, 04:20 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Thanks to all you guys for the help.

Trent.
I'd like to know more about your modifications to the rear end bell. Even a picture of it would help. It sounds very interesting. Have you done this kind of mod. on other motors too?
Thanks.
Rob.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 06:28 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,482 Posts
AirSupply is actually one of the biggest motor can/endbell OEM supplier in Japan. Several big name US car motor mfg uses their can and endbell, and hand wound the armatures here in the states.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Mar 21, 2002, 05:19 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
In addition to making those motors, they were also a hideous 80's band.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Mar 21, 2002, 07:06 AM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Thanks again to those who posted answers.

I paid $12.00 for this motor. Is that an alright price for it?
I might be able to get another one at the same price. Should I do it?

Rob.
Old Mar 21, 2002, 08:17 AM
Micro Hydro Racer
Rocklin, Ca. USA
Joined May 2001
136 Posts
...That's your call. But I would if it wasn't damaged.

12.00 bucks is cheap.

Modifications - Here's what I did - your mileage may vary. (see pic in above post):

Can - I ground off about 4-5mm off the brush end of the can. That allows the correct spacing for the new endbell and armatures. You'll have to measure yours and cut accordingly.

Endbell - I used an old "modified" endbell and turned down the aluminum retaining ring, and the inner most lip on the plastic housing. Their diameter was too large to fit inside the air-supply can.

I also believe I had to press small handmade pins into the can to provide the hold downs required by the new endbell.

It's a lot of trial and error basically. Don't attempt it if you feel unsure about messing up a good motor. They work pretty good as is.
Last edited by Trent Hare; Mar 21, 2002 at 08:20 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 01:12 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Thanks for the info Trent.
The com and brushes are still new so I think I'll wait untill they are used up a bit more.
Rob.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 01:25 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2001
90 Posts
Nice nostalgia trip and good info. Thanks, guys.
I have an AS cobalt lying in a corner of my workbench.. will have get it out and dust it off.
Mitch Polling was my e-god for years... he did some tests on connector loss when he was the e-columnist for Model Builder, and so I still use the Dean's 4 pin for my S400 motors/battery packs at his recommendation.
EBob is offline Find More Posts by EBob
Old Mar 22, 2002, 04:43 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Hi EBOB.
Are you saying that the Air Supply motor in Trent's photo has cobalt magnets? If so I have a real find here.
Rob.