HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:27 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,434 Posts
Canada's Latest Beaver V

Part IV of this continueing series can be found at:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...24#post2920924
Part V starts here and now.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Feb 16, 2005 at 06:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:38 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Vice Savers (works on Beavers, too)

Vice Accident Update: The carpet guy just made a house call ($50.00) and confirmed that the carpet wasn't harmed by the wing. Man, I am counting my lucky stars. Or, is that seeing stars when I look at the wing??
------------
That was in Beaver IV. Now, to continue with pictures.
------------
Just in case you want to protect your valuable vice and irreplaceable carpet, I have news for you. Just put a foam wing and aluminum airplane fuselage between that rug and the vice and, Viola! The carpet stains are preserved, the vice doesn't have any scratches on it, and everything is okay. Except maybe the plane. Looks like I'll need tape for the wing and those plastic black square tube connectors that come with every GWS plane. Wait a minute - I've got a television antenna I don't use. It's made of aluminum. I wonder if I were to cut off a piece...
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:50 PM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
Hey, part V!

I've been flying on skis 'til just recently when all our snow melted. I'm getting pretty good at "kiting" my Beaver around in some pretty stiff breezes.

Amazing the wind I've flown in this winter. Biggest lesson: don't let it get downwind - not enough power to get it back. Had to ditch one time in some trees to keep from flying into the next county. Oh well, I learned.
zeuglodon is offline Find More Posts by zeuglodon
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:55 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoudreDerf
Vice Accident Update: The carpet guy just made a house call ($50.00) and confirmed that the carpet wasn't harmed by the wing.
Glad to see that you can maintain a good sense of humor in spite of it.
Rick.
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:59 PM
Mike
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Nov 2004
540 Posts
hey scale is cool,,,, I did not say that I did not like scale,,, all I was getting at was I like all of my planes to be tuff. Sorry I didn't know that a little tape and some beefing up hurts a weak model design. Remember these are DHC Beavers. They real ones have been slammed and banged around the worst runways in the world. They survived short field, muddy field, rocky ice bergs patches called runways and real conditions never ment for airplanes. Most if not all Beavers have been modified with bigger engines, bigger fuel tanks, bigger tires, wing slats, wing tips and more. Maybe it is more "scale" to modify them and fly them like a hot rod pick up. I agree they will never be a Chipmunk but they should be tuff like a 1:1 Beaver.

Oh,,, there are other "full scale" pilots here too. I have a COMMERCIAL-CFI-MULTI rating.

enough already
Radiobum is offline Find More Posts by Radiobum
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:01 PM
Mike
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Nov 2004
540 Posts
Poudre,,,

Nice left wing you have,,,,, reminds me of the day I slammed the car trunk on a gentle lady wing
Old Feb 17, 2005, 08:39 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Glad to see everyone is making it over here to the new thread...

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:32 AM
no strings attached
the great white north
Joined Jul 2003
239 Posts
so sam ?
what are these " growing pains " you are talking about ?

i'm in the middle of another BooBipe build for another electric
flyer. it's going well, cut wings tonight, just waiting for them
to dry and i can do the shaping and the aileron cuts.

here's a pic of the fuse so far :
spithungry is offline Find More Posts by spithungry
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:37 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Major CG problems and a lot of smashed parts...

Really rather not talk about it....soft subject

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:21 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it is more "scale" to modify them and fly them like a hot rod pick up.
Sure - I'm a scale buff myself but I go as much for illusion and feel and not so much in the detail and finish. Different things bug different people. What bugs me most about the GWS Beaver is that the fuse shape is wrong.
Quote:
Most if not all Beavers have been modified...
Now you want a model airplane that seems to have been designed specificaly for customizing... follow a slow stick thread. I've seen a custom gear setup for it that looks like it had more engineering than the whole original plane.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:26 AM
Mike
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Nov 2004
540 Posts
Rory,,,

That fuse looks great,,,, you are really good at foam.

I have been looking at the 3 view drawings on a Helio Courier 295. It would be another great foam bush plane.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:32 AM
Mike
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Nov 2004
540 Posts
You are right,,, the GWS beaver fuse is sorta close but it is almost a generic fat radial cabin plane. You could make a Mr. Mulligan or a Waco cabin out of it just by changing the windows and tail feather shape.... I think they call it stand off scale,,,, maybe we sould call it stand way off scale,,,
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:45 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
I think they call it stand off scale
Cartoon scale.

I shaved the bottom of the fuse and reshaped the cowl area below the windshield to get a more scale shape. To me it was worth it. For most people probably not. With some minor fuse reworking, a custom cowl and wing and the Beaver could be a Stinson Reliant. Custom gear struting and you could have a Norseman.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:14 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Went flying a few minutes ago. Six inches of snow on the ground, and I had just replaced the engine mounting stick with circle of balsa, cross laminated and cured overnight, and the stick going through it. Well reinforced.
First flight, I happened to note that the thing was nose heavy. Imagine that! It also favored turning to port, even at extreme trim. So, I adjusted my rod length and tested to see if it would fly straight. That problem solved, I landed and went on to problem 2.
I stuck a stone in the fuselage, next to the fin, as far back as I could get it. Perfect. Off I went into the Wild Blue Yonder and it was still nose heavy. Possibly heavier than before, as it did the "Dive O' Death" at 90 degrees instead of the normal 60 I'm used to. Upon close inspection, I found the cowling packed with icy, wet snow, probably from landing number one. So, I've now got it vented and the problem is solved.
A dab of epoxy and some tape and you'll never know the stone weight was in there.
Again, I flew my MegaTech wing. Sure makes it faster, but, somehow, it's just not the same ol' Beaver. My original wings and struts still fit back on in two minutes though.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:58 PM
Mike
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Nov 2004
540 Posts
Sorry it's not a Beaver

Rory,,,

I am very impressed in your foam cutting skills... I am getting really hooked on the pre-turbo Helio Couriers. If I can draw a set of full size plans and templetes would you be interested in cutting some foam????? Here are some pics of a H-395.
Closed Thread