HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:53 PM
Northford, CT
Joined Feb 2005
532 Posts
What features should I be looking for in a charger?

Probably AA nicads for the radios

Electric motor glider not yet build - Nicad or NiMH, probably 7 cells

Winters are long here so I need some sort of conditioning (discharge, charge, trickle?)

Probably answered my own question, but any more insights would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!
Yardbird is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:55 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
Hi Yardbird,

I generally rely on several chargers depending on my needs. For example, my futaba radio batteries get charged with this charger: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAA0&P=0

The Great Planes triton is a very nice nicad/nimh charger, which I normally use for airplane packs. The triton lets you program up to 10 types of packs, very flexible, and lets you cycle packs.

LiPo's is all together a seperate issue and only use a dedicated LiPo charger.

Another thing to consider is a sperate power supply for the chargers. Most operate with 12v DC so you'll need to pick up a decent 120v to 12dc type power supply. Some members have converted old PC power supplies, I simply bought my from radio shack.

I guess my thought is, I just haven't found an "do all" type of charger, and in the end its a huge money pit

Hope this helps.

Bob.
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2005, 09:52 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
It is a huge money pit, but I have found the new Ice charger from Duratrax to be excellent if you are planning on staying in the hobby and getting some other planes with different batteries. It's limitations are it will only charge up to 10 cells nimh or nicad, but that's more than enough for me. As far as power supplies go, Millionbuy. com sells pyramid chargers for 49 bucks. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Feb 16, 2005, 09:52 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Sorry I meant to say pyramid power supplies. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:36 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
The Triton is the king when it comes to versatility. It's not the absolute best lipo charger, but overall it's hard to beat and most guys on here who own one would tell you that if they had to pick just one charger, the Triton would be the one.
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright