HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:12 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
Discussion
Need help with two diesel engines !

Hello !

I have two small diesel engines, one is a Silver Swallow 1.49cc and the other a german Jena 1cc i think. The thing with these engines is that i forgot about them for years and i want to use them again. They got very sticky over the years and they barely move at all. Does anyone know how to clean, wash, oil them etc. ? I don't know much about diesels so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
Cosmin
cosmin is offline Find More Posts by cosmin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:25 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,355 Posts
Use kerosene for cleaning, an old toothbrush for washing and after run oil for oiling. I had a Jena 22 years ago - it had a cylinder sleeve that screws into the short crankcase. I didn't use it in anything - it was too weak for my boats, but I would occasionally mount it to a stand that I had and just start and run it for fun.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:09 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
As ivanc says - soak them for a day or so in diesel fuel if you have any left. The remaining ether and kerosene/paraffin will help loosen the castor. Otherwise

It will help to dismantle the needle valve assembly - they have small holes which will certainly be bunged up with gunk. Make sure plenty of the soaking mix gets inside the engines too.

Take care to save any fibre washers or gaskets - they could be difficult to replace even if you make them yourself.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Feb 17, 2005, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
Hello !

Thanks for your replies ! I've followed your advice and soaked them in kerosene for about 24 hours, oiled them and i managed to start the Silver Swallow today. It runs very smooth and without any problems. It's like new ! [] I'll try the Jena tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Cosmin
cosmin is offline Find More Posts by cosmin
Old Apr 18, 2014, 07:18 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,749 Posts
One thing I do is make sure the spray bar is clear by blowing through a clean piece of fuel tubing hooked to fuel inlet take the needle valve right out and plug it with your finger while blowing through the fuel tubing . If it's plugged the engine won't run.
unclecrash is online now Find More Posts by unclecrash