HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:35 PM
Coventry
Joined May 2004
268 Posts
What do you do if you have no materials?

I have all the Rc equipment that I need, but I don't have any constuction material, but I want something to fly now.

I was just wondering what you guys all do when you have all the equipment from a model that flew into a wall, or was ploughed into the ground, and are dying to make a new model but have run out of balsa or foam or what ever.
davidcollins001 is offline Find More Posts by davidcollins001
Last edited by davidcollins001; Feb 15, 2005 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:40 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,941 Posts
I buy new foam or balsa

Not true really, I stock enough material to build hundreds of models. Buy a few extra sheets of building material next time you go shopping.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:50 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,660 Posts
Can't remember sorry, it must be about 40 years since I was last completely out of building stock. But I can't imagine not being able to find anything these days. Foam is so widely available in DIY stores or even being thrown away outside almost any electrical/PC/furniture etc store. You may even have the foam packing from some purchase lying round at home (in my case it's probably up in the attic).

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:40 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
depron plates! they make nice roundish wing planes.

Derrik
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 15, 2005, 05:04 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
Old coroplast campaign signs, foam meat trays, if you look around building materials are all around. Take 2 or 3 old planes and make one. The opertunities are as endless as your imagination.

Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Feb 15, 2005, 07:09 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
like some of the other comments, I cant imaine any more not being able to find something that I could hack into the air. Couple dozen coffee straws from the office, maybe a grocery store veggie bag, carton of eggs, either I am making breakfast or building, maybe both?

You can usually go to the meat market at the local grocery and strike up a friendship with the butcher. Just promise to make him something to fly too, and of course follow up on that promise, you will be showered in meat trays. I built one of the local guys a freeflight glider and he gave me about 40 trays.
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:41 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
I've been saving all the foam packed around stuff my wife buys, my to-go Depron boxes, and I paid a whopping $0.79 for some pie plates. Oh, and I found a nice, big, fat chunk of BluCore foam lying in the park one day! Awesome!

I also have some Wal-mart sturdy board I bought a couple years ago, and have been using ever since. I think I paid a buck or two for that.

I have been happily hacking out airframes for about a year now from these materials, and they were all free, or close thereto! :^)
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:54 PM
Coventry
Joined May 2004
268 Posts
I have just come to the end of the pizza bases that I was using, and I can't find any model shops around here. I will start searching through the attic for packing foam, and start saving the food trays
davidcollins001 is offline Find More Posts by davidcollins001