HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2005, 09:43 AM
Northford, CT
Joined Feb 2005
532 Posts
Can old Monokote be stripped off?

I am thinking about re-covering an old project and want to strip off the existing monokote.

Any problems with this? Thanks
Yardbird is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:12 AM
Milwaukee G Mitchell, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Mar 2002
757 Posts
just start peeling. Some might stick, but if you use some heat (heat gun) it will come off.

I just recovered my 20 year old Aquila. I had to use a heat gun because I used balsarite and it was stuck down verrrry well. It left some color in alot of spots but sanded smooth and covered with non-transparent stuff it was no big deal.
davekra is online now Find More Posts by davekra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: hinge tape info
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:19 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I just recovered a wing myself.. depending on how well it's stuck, it can be a bit of a pain, and you need to be careful not to ding up the balsa too much. It's a 'while sitting in front of the TV' kind of activity..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:56 PM
Northford, CT
Joined Feb 2005
532 Posts
In front of the TV project, okay, that explains the magnitude of the job better than anything.

Tks Andy
Yardbird is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:52 PM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
Peeling Monocote

I've removed alot of the covering and the one problem I've always had is the adhesive/color residue. I found that acetone will help to disolve the adhesive and make it easier to clean up. After that, some light sanding or filling and you're ready for your next finish. Good luck. John Z.
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z