Closed Thread
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:03 PM
Curse you Red Baron!
North & East of Sacramento California
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Yippee!
Multiplex Easy Star- Part 16 - The Greatest Trainer Ever Created

Here is Part 16 of the on going Multiplex Easy Star.

Here is the link to Part 15 - Eaststar 15 - The New Generation

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323760

Brandie
Grassy Knoll is offline Find More Posts by Grassy Knoll
Last edited by Grassy Knoll; Feb 14, 2005 at 10:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:16 PM
Central Colorado, USA
Joined Sep 2004
156 Posts
launch style

Actually, I've never taken any running steps to launch the EZ. I just give the EZ about 75% throttle, point the nose into the wind and give her a light toss. On all but the calmest of days it is instant climbout, no swooning toward the turf at all.

In fact, I rather enjoy the easy, relaxed launches with the EZ. And on calm days I rather enjoy buzzing around the field about 2 meters off the grass at about 1/3 throttle. Mind you - it leaves no room for any booboo of any sort!

And thanks for starting the new thread, Brandie
TreeTrimmer is offline Find More Posts by TreeTrimmer
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Katoomba
Joined May 2002
5,430 Posts
BRANDIE.

Iv'e got to agree with you. "The Greatest Trainer Ever Created."

Cheers. Paddy.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Last edited by oldpilot; Feb 14, 2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: lousy spelling.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:25 PM
Curse you Red Baron!
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Valentines Day Flight Report.

The rain stopped here late this afternoon. So I grabbed a couple of plains and headed for my flight site.

I put my 'charged' battery in my EZ and took to the skies. After some high altitude flights followed by some power dives for loops and inverted flights I decided to do some high speed low level speed runs. I was screaming down the road/runway at about 10 feet off the ground. Fantastic

After the battery died I brought him in for a skid on the pavement.

I decided it was time to make a new movie. I put the 2c lipo in him and adjusted the battery for the CG with the camera on him.

There still was no wind.

I pressed power on the camera. (I found out later I forgot to put it in video mode). I made one last pre-flight check.
Pressed record (only took a picture )
Gave him a toss and started making a new movie.
I performed several close to the ground (5-10 feet) runway runs. On my last low level run I glanced down at the transmitter just as I was pulling up and to the right getting ready to do another low level run when to my horror my transmitter (Futaba TX with a power meter) showed almost no power. Just as I glance back up I notice I am about 50 feet up when he does a nose dive down.

I can still hear the motor running. The TX has no effect on him. When I get to him he is laying up side down motor running. He has a dented nose and a broken rudder. Camera is fine. I think, oh this going to be a great video. It isn't till I get home I find I forgot to press the mode button to go into video mode.

A little CA on the rudder, and a nice hot boiling bubble bath (hey it's Valentines Day) And he is good as new. Last thing I did was charge the TX batteries.

Brandie
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:29 PM
Curse you Red Baron!
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTrimmer
And thanks for starting the new thread, Brandie
You are most welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot
BRANDIE.

Iv'e got to agree with you. The Greatest Trainer Ever Created.

Cheers. Paddy.
It really is a great plane. Especially if you have the batteries charged

Brandie
Last edited by Grassy Knoll; Feb 14, 2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:53 PM
Unconventional
Eastern Washington
Joined Jan 2005
428 Posts
Crack me Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot
3. Semi flexible means it will absorb shock better than a rigid coating such as resin.

4. A rigid substrate, such as a balsa lining is a waste of time, as a really bad "Arrival" will only cause the balsa to fail in compression. A lining of bi-directional packaging tape on both the inside and outside is preferable by far. It enables the foam to absorb the shockload in compression without the sideways expansion which is capable of fracturing the foam internally.

EPP foam, and it's deritives such as Elapor and Arcel are very strong in compression but not in tension. The Fibre re-inforced packaging tape provides the tensile strength to "Contain" the expansion of the foam on impact.
In order to get the maximum adhesion of the tape to the Elapor , it has to be lightly sanded with 400 grit paper to remove the mold release lubricants, and then preferably spraying with a very light coating of 3M 77 adhesive, allowing it to dry before applying the tape. Then Iron the tape down with low temp Iron (100 deg C) to get MAX adhesion.

Now some of you may think this is a lot of bother, but it can save your "Pride and Joy" from a horrible demise.

Cheers. Paddy.
OldPilot,

I agree with item 4 when considering a stock EZ. Tape inside is definitely the way to go. I don't agree when the outer shell is rigid or semi-rigid. The resin is the mechanical inverse of the foam; it is very strong in tension. But it takes very little compression to cause huge shear forces that will, I guarantee you from experience, crack or shatter the shell. Compression of a semi-rigid shell will crack paint or leave permanent creases or ridges that heat shrink won't cover. Hence, the balsa and glue stiffens the airframe against compression, so as to make the shell significantly more resistant to damage. It certainly won't save it from a hard nose in strike. Orb will be heading to the repair shop for an extended session if he does that with a carbon coated EZ.
Time4RC is offline Find More Posts by Time4RC
Last edited by Time4RC; Feb 14, 2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:59 PM
Unconventional
Eastern Washington
Joined Jan 2005
428 Posts
Tractor Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHED AGAIN
I gotta agree with your grandson

Jack

edit : hey U have a tractor on that??????????
Yep - If you look closely, you can count all three motors.
Time4RC is offline Find More Posts by Time4RC
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:05 PM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Dare to Predict?

Hey EZ* folks! If you're one of those wise ones or not, please feel free to render your predictions about the flight performance of these two setups as compared to the stock Permax setup. Your opinions are valuable to me. Now I do not want to start any e-power wars, and I know that ZoomZoom will remain silent ... but feel free to have at it. Your participation is graciously requested.

SETUP ONE
QRP Hyper S400 Motor 6V
7-cell KAN 1050

SETUP TWO
MEGA 16/15/5
3s LiPo (11.1 volt)

Assume that both will use the 6x3 folder prop. Feel free to even add your own SETUP THREE (as long as you explain why).

Did I forget something? Yes! Thanks.
Peter
omba is offline Find More Posts by omba
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:11 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,164 Posts
Hello Easy ones!

Brandie, here is a link to Twister2s post about using a timer to keep the TX batteries in good shape. I do this, and occasionally run them down till the red light comes on (low battery), then do an overnight charge, but this method keeps the batts ready to go. I can get over 6 hours from the stock Nicads in my laser 4 and neon txs.

Here is a link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=61
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:03 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Birthday

Precisely one year ago I maidened my EasyStar in a windy beach.

It still has no major mods except the mandatory tape on the belly and on the nose. Only major repair was replacing the motor due to worn brushes.
It still flies great and it still is fun to fly, even though it got me addicted to sailplanes and I now fly planes that are 20 times more expensive (also about 10 times faster).
It is a great plane!
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:14 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,164 Posts
Happy Birthday to jcosta's easy star, I remember the video, very windy. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:53 AM
more time to fly !!!
Asti, Italy
Joined Apr 2004
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omba
SETUP ONE
QRP Hyper S400 Motor 6V
7-cell KAN 1050

SETUP TWO
MEGA 16/15/5
3s LiPo (11.1 volt)

Assume that both will use the 6x3 folder prop.
I would go straight for the SETUP TWO...

However I am really happy with the stock motor and I will upgrade with a radical modification, as soon as possible: the EasyGlider Electric

Piero
Bad Attitude is offline Find More Posts by Bad Attitude
Old Feb 15, 2005, 05:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Katoomba
Joined May 2002
5,430 Posts
TIME4RC

I Quite agree with you. I would never consider using fibreglass or WBPU on an EPP fuse or wing.

However, WBPU is excellent to use over extruded styrofoam, and is lighter than f/glass. It will not protect against a heavy crash ---but is good for protecting blue foam, pink foam, depron etc: from dings, scratches and the inevitable "Hanger Rash".

Cheers. Patrick.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:19 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Anyone ever try double sided tape or water-based contact cemenet to hold the two halves together? IIRC the RTF version has the fuse halves taped. A semi-permanent joint woul allow access for motor changes and repairs. When covered with 3m Extreme packing tape there's NO chance of delamination. FWIW I've played with using ProBond water based contact cement on Arcel and and it makes a strong yet flexible joint. You can seprate the pieces but it does take some force. And when covered with packing tape is as solid as the expoy fuses I've tried.

Whaddya all think? Should my ES be taped halves or water contact fastened??
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:32 PM
Curse you Red Baron!
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Should my ES have taped halves ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutat
Anyone ever try double sided tape or water-based contact cemenet to hold the two halves together? IIRC the RTF version has the fuse halves taped. A semi-permanent joint woul allow access for motor changes and repairs. When covered with 3m Extreme packing tape there's NO chance of delamination. FWIW I've played with using ProBond water based contact cement on Arcel and and it makes a strong yet flexible joint. You can seprate the pieces but it does take some force. And when covered with packing tape is as solid as the expoy fuses I've tried.

Whaddya all think? Should my ES be taped halves or water contact fastened??

Hello rutat:

I think somewhere way back in one of the post I mentioned that my RTF EZ was put together with double sided tape.

To re-iterate in a Readers Digest way,.....

After my first crash I decided to tear my EZ apart down to just the foam. This was for his first big hot water bath to fix dings, smashes, and such.

It was then that I discovered that it was put together with double sided sticky tape.

This tape had a stretchy property though.

I began searching and found it is a very normal easy to find tape.

I found it at Staples.

It is called "Scotch Poster Tape".

It is sticky on both sides and stretches really great.

I used it to completely re-assemble my EZ.

That includes the fuselage halves as well as the rudder and elevator.

He has been flyin great ever since except when I forget to make sure the TX battery is charged

Brandie
Last edited by Grassy Knoll; Feb 15, 2005 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Fix those messed up Wurds!
Closed Thread