HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2005, 05:46 PM
Bethel, Ohio USA (SE of Cincinnati)
Joined Dec 2004
227 Posts
My Camera Mount for Nikon 3700

Here is the mount for my Nikon 3700. This mount is intended to be self leveling as it will swivel at the top where it connects to the fuse. The servo is connected to the mount which makes for a no-hassle removal of camera for 'ordinary' use. As you may know, I am a newb, so please point out any possible issues

Please let me know what you think, and thanks to all the other 'mount' posts which I used to build this mount.
Travis
CanopicJar is offline Find More Posts by CanopicJar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2005, 06:08 PM
Professional Poster
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Jul 2004
170 Posts
Mount looks great.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like you have something between the camera & mount. A low-density foam or felt washer works well for absorbing some of the motor vibration - and make sure you don't over-torque the mount or it negates the purpose of the washer.
Transition is offline Find More Posts by Transition
Old Feb 13, 2005, 06:44 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,862 Posts
Is that the stock motor on there? Just curious if you have any power issues on that? Love to see some photos from this. Looks good.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Feb 13, 2005, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2004
227 Posts
Yes, it is the stock motor, the 300... I have not flown yet, and there are a couple of days of rain ahead, so I am not sure when I will get to try it out.

Travis
Old Feb 13, 2005, 07:36 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,862 Posts
I am really interested because I plan on putting a camera on my SS -- but I am hoping I can do it without having to upgrade the motor right away. Sure looks good. How much weight does that mount and camera add to the plane? Where you going to put the battery?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2004
227 Posts
I do not have a scale, but I will try to weigh it soon.

I have been strapping the battery across the top of the landing gear struts.

Also, I am concerned with my batteries. I have CBP-750's and I wonder if I would have been better off getting the 1050's or 1150's?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:06 PM
California - Sacramento Valley & foothills
Joined Nov 2004
289 Posts
Simple SloW Stick camera mount

Looks like a good place to post my just finished photo notes on a solution for attaching a camera to a Slow Stick. This background will give others an idea of my experience and thoughts on this "bird's eye" endeavor.

I've only been flying my Slow Stick for a few weeks and Aerobirds for a few months. I too have been inspired by what I've seen here in the forum and appreciate all that's been shared. It's wonderful! How about it guys ... anyone for a group hug???

Oh well, let's continue. After checkin out all the pics of various mounts I had swivels, brackets, braces, and a bunch of complicated considerations cluttering my mind. Took a couple days to hit on the idea of just trying to hang it from a simple "sling" of wire. Heck my first camera flight was with it rubberbanded to the stick looking straight down! The results were aweful. But this had possibility

My last photo flight (of 4 total with camera on plane) using this setup gave me some pretty good results. Meaning the general appearence of a lot of photos is good. But, they also look aweful because this camera is a poor performer for this kind of use. There is too much blurr from camera movement even in bright sunlight. This means the shutter is not fast enough to capture the moment in sharp detail. I'd like to have a shutter speed of 1/500th or 1/1000th of a second to freeze most any movement. But, this camera is not capable of it so I'm hoping to buy a Nikon 3700 on the current rebate special (I think) good through end of March.

So what about having the camera pointed backward ... that's wierd? Why sideways? Why not forward? Welp, if the landing gear didn't get in the way that's how I first thought I'd prefer it. Sideways would be like looking out a airliner window kinda like the view most of us are used to. And, I've seen some great shots take that way. Keeping the horizon level seems easier with a setup like CanopicJar's. By the way I think he's done a GREAT job with his mount and look forward to hearing about his results.

But, think about pointing the camera, the flying characteristics of the Slow Stick , and the on ground ability of visualizing a target. If you had the camera looking forward you could dive bomb your subject! You only risk destroying your camera and killing that bikini clad babe on the beach you're aiming at if you don't pull out in time. Pulling out of hard dives with extra weight on a weak wing Slow Stick is not a maneuver for a novice!

Unless you want it for artistic effect having the horizon in a aerial photo outta wack means it looks outta wack. If the movable mounts give level horizons then that's great! But, what if you want to raise or lower the horizon in your pic? Then I guess you gotta adjust the down angle of the camera. Gotta land to do that. If you had ale-er-ons (sp?) you could fly straight and tip your wing and camera down. That'd be cool. In my flying experience with the Stick having the wings waving up and down means the wind is getting the best of it and there is no control but escaping from that flight angle.

My brief experience in pointing the camera as it looks backwards toward the tail has me thinking it's a good way to go. Instead of going into a dive I pull-up into a easy to control stall where movement of the plane is minimized and I can "sight" down via the angle of the tail which is even somewhat visible while flying directly toward me. The stall gives an old fart like me a brief pause to "click" the shutter switch on my radio. Unless I'm banking a turn the wings are usually about level with the horizon.

I think with some practice I'll be able to get pretty good at aiming where I want. Next flight I'm going have to bend my wire mount to have the camera looking down more ... so I don't have the tail wheel in EVERY shot!

I figure it will cost me $150 for a brushless motor and controller ... and I WANT IT! But, I'm not ready for it either in skill or pocketbook. So what am I doing? I'm flying with the stock 300 and gearing that came in the box. I did, on recommendation of the kid in the hobby shop, change to a EP-1260 prop. I'm also paying a lot of attention to balancing the CG. I also changed from the 7.2 900 mah NiHm battery packs I borrowed from my Aerobird Challenger to a lighter weight LiPo which I've placed under the stick in front of the wing bracket I'm using a cheap diet scale from Walmart to compare weights so it's not very accurate but tells the story. The 7.2 came in at abt 5oz. The 7.4 2s1p 1100mah Li-Po is abt 2 1/2. The camera is abt 6oz. Add another oz for the shutter servo and rubberbands and wire and etc. So with the camera minus the difference in battteries I figure I'm 4 1/2oz heavier. It flies better in that the weight seems to make it more stable. The weight shows in slower climb, higher speed needed to stay level, and more difficulty flying into wind. I've been cautious on flight time bringing it down at about 10 minutes. Re-charging the LiPo on a Triton shows I've had some unused milliamps. So, my last flight was over 13 minutes with a lot of it at 3/4 to full throttle.

My first flight was in about 10mph wind. For landings I've made one wing catch, mostly soft, slow, flared touch downs in weed field grass, and one cartwheel after misjudging the distance of a powerpole guy wire. I expected damage from that one, but got lucky in that the camera and battery stayed put and only got a small dent appeared in the wing.

Considering all my Slow Stick "landings" ... I've had to pluck it from a few shrubs and small trees and repair it from a few nose in crashes. Broken props, a bent prop shaft, a loose prop shaft gear, and a TOTALLY demolished gear box assembly have all been recovered from. Once experience gives me the confidence I'll upgrade the motor and dangle a more expensive camera. Til then I'm practicing .. and going for photos with what I've got.
ViddyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by ViddyFlyer
Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:05 AM
avf
Joined Oct 2004
481 Posts
with that mount i wouldnt worry about landing badly. I may not even have the camera on the plane when i land
avf is offline Find More Posts by avf
Old Feb 14, 2005, 06:18 AM
California - Sacramento Valley & foothills
Joined Nov 2004
289 Posts
In-som-knee-uh & photoshop

I took what I think is the best image from the last flight and spiffed it up by increasing contrast and color saturation and giving it some sharpness enhancement.

Something interesting I'm seeing in this bunch of blurry photos is how the aerial view "flattens" the hilly terrain I'm flying over. In this photo you are looking at a pretty steep hillside. With a running start I drive up the road from the lower left in second gear and then downshift to first at the left turn so I don't lug the engine up the short section before the next left where the road levels. I do have to admit I'm driving a lame little 3 cylinder Geo, but believe me it is a steep grade! I just don't "see" it ... do you?

Notice the rear wheel showing in the upper right. I'll bend the camera wires to aim down a little and bend the wheel wire up a little to fix that. I'll measure the angles that give me the clear rear view so I can reset them if stuff gets bent out of position.

I plan to shoot a lot of test shots at level flight to see where the horizon appears at different altitudes. I also need to figure out how high and where in the sky I'll need to be to capture my friend's 12 acres all in one frame.

Yawn .... argh 4am! Even time for an in-som-knee-ak to sleep!
ViddyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by ViddyFlyer
Old Feb 15, 2005, 08:20 AM
Lifetime hobby
Bend, Oregon, USA
Joined Feb 2004
144 Posts
CanopicJar

I wouldn't drill through the stick fuselage. (espically with the large screw)
It will weaken it to the point of sudden failure.
Use the clamp on or slip on that is shown on many of the other "light" mounts
rhenningsen is offline Find More Posts by rhenningsen
Old Feb 15, 2005, 01:06 PM
wyoming, mi usa
Joined Dec 2000
1,449 Posts
Another thing thing that flattens photos is shooting with the sun directly behind you. Shooting that way hides the shadows with give an image depth.
rtideas is offline Find More Posts by rtideas
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2004
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenningsen
CanopicJar

I wouldn't drill through the stick fuselage. (espically with the large screw)
It will weaken it to the point of sudden failure.
Use the clamp on or slip on that is shown on many of the other "light" mounts

If you notice, I have beefed up the fuse in that area with a U-channel piece of aluminum. The aluminum U-Channel snapped onto the fuse very tightly and is very solid.

Travis
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:01 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,862 Posts
CanopicJar, has the weather cleared up enough for you to take a flight? Love to see some photos with this. I want to hear how well the stock motor does with that setup. Looks good.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 06:04 PM
Joined Dec 2004
227 Posts
Today was 60 and sunny but WAY too windy. It is driving me nuts! The temperature is supposed to drop 30 degrees overnight with possible snow tomorrow. The first dry, calm minute I get, I will test it out.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 09:49 PM
Kahn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2004
217 Posts
Quote: "As you may know, I am a newb, so please point out any possible issues"

Well, judging by the photos, I suggest that you put the wing on!

Kahn
kahnxx is offline Find More Posts by kahnxx