SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2002, 03:34 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,406 Posts
Post your ideas for The E Zone here

I would like to solicit ideas from our members on what new features we should add to The E Zone.

We are already working on a lot of new things, but once this round of changes are done I want to keep moving forward. I want to have nothing short of the greatest site on the web, so think big if you like.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2002, 03:50 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
A section to upload/download plans and other CAD drawings (such as motors, servos, etc.) would be nice. Most of us are handling it with our own web page, but a 'Central Depository' would be handy.

A 'Knowledge Base', rather than just FAQ would be cool.

A 'User Review' / Poll might be interesting, kinda like what Popular Mechanics does on long-term test cars, where the users are polled on many aspects of why they bought, what they like and dislike, customer support, etc.

A place for users to upload data tables, such as motor and battery tests, weights of components, coverings, etc.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 18, 2002, 04:36 PM
I fly, therefore I crash
NY
Joined Mar 2002
282 Posts
It would be nice to search the Members section for specific places and areas, even just to see how many folks live in the region.
van-S is offline Find More Posts by van-S
Old Mar 18, 2002, 04:38 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
It would be nice to have local conditions weather forecast, and it would be really neat if that info could be pulled based on our location.
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Mar 18, 2002, 04:57 PM
pushing both extremes
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
I'll second what Gene said.

Several have posted suggestions about a repository for plans (free and pay for). I think it would be good to include videos to download and user comments about the planes that are built, possibly including photos that people could upload. The plans service you guys provide should also be linked in for easy access.

I also like the idea of having databases available for common components. For example, I keep an excel spreadsheet of the motor parameters for the various motors I like to use. Whenever a new one comes along, or there is some disagreement with the published values, I add it to my list so I can experiment with them in a calc program whenever I'm in the market for a new one. BTW my spreadsheet also contains comments like "magnets have a tendency to come loose", or "can be purchased at parkflyers.com". It would be nice to have comments like this attached to particular components, but I'm not sure how you would moderate that kind of thing.

Thanks for listening.

- Zoom -
Zoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoom
Old Mar 18, 2002, 05:14 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
I think i would settle for free airplanes every month from the ezone Lol but on a serious note rcgroups email would be really cool.
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Last edited by JStory; Mar 18, 2002 at 05:25 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 07:07 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Ezone chat!..... a simple java chat would be just great!
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Mar 18, 2002, 07:12 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Ya i second Tic's idea but i always had a hard time finding a good compatible chat for my old UBB (not nearly as nice as this its uses slow cgi) oh and also just to spite tic i propose a new Zagi Forum
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Old Mar 18, 2002, 07:19 PM
Joined May 2001
21 Posts
I'd like to be able to subscribe to a CD version of the Discussion Groups of Ezonemag.

I'm sure some useful info gets "aged off" into the "bit bucket" and I'd like to be able to keep some of the Discussion group info around on a searchable CD.
WindRover is offline Find More Posts by WindRover
Old Mar 18, 2002, 07:32 PM
new orleans, louisiana usa
Joined Jul 2001
109 Posts
How's about having our Avatar do double duty as a hyperlink to a site of our choice: personal R/C webpage, Club Webpage, Airplane photo gallery, etc.

Joe
slowjoe170 is offline Find More Posts by slowjoe170
Old Mar 18, 2002, 07:38 PM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
314 Posts
I'd like to see more competitions like the foamie and current Jet competitions, these are a great way of getting new designs and or kits into the market. I mean what happened to the S&SE 500 watt comp, just fell away, this is the place for that sort of endevour. Even though it was not the result of a competition look at how well accepted Gary Wrights' E3D has become, through this site only, now that people are using ten cells more and more often a whole new sport/scale world has opened up. And this is the place to promote and or exploit it.

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Mar 18, 2002, 08:29 PM
Profile Infraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,928 Posts
A vendors rating page.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Mar 19, 2002, 03:53 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
I second gene's idea, I would love a database of free e-plane plans (e-plans?) on here.
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Mar 19, 2002, 04:09 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
A list of clubs where electrics are welcomed. Mine for example :

www.modell-fvl.de
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Mar 19, 2002, 08:28 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
The above idea (electric and electric-welcome clubs) is a good one.

My idea:

You've expanded into other hobby areas, cars, boats, etc.
Perhaps you'd consider expanding into model railroads as well. (These are also electric.) You could investigate this to see the different aspects. This is a HUGE hobby, and could easily double your activity (work, hours and employees, revenues, profit, exposure, etc) in this venture.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto