DragonWings
Maricopa Arizona
Joined Feb 2005
52 Posts
Help!
A Better Rc Park For Us Rc Pilots

If your town's parks are to small for RC flying fun & trees & powerline around
and dangerous road near by tell your town concil that there should be a very
large area for Rc flying the area must 500 yards wide and away from powerlines and cars and tress,
here in Avondale arizona I trying for a RC park for safe flying

Tip for your Rc poloits
Don't complain about tall weeds, those weeds saved your plane from
costly repairs and damages, incase of a crash , Crash it in the tall weeds
try flying it over the heavy weeded area, if you can't find it in the run thouttle in full and listin for motor runner

this always worked for me.

Weather for Rc flying in Arizona

Cloudy & rainy No Rc flying today until fair weather

Winds for flying
1 mph safe 2 safe 3 fair 5, fair 7mph or more Not safe
Calm Great!!!!!
watch your red flag be your take off.
DragonWings is offline Find More Posts by DragonWings
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:07 AM
DragonWings
Maricopa Arizona
Joined Feb 2005
52 Posts
Feel free to reply to this and you may give feed back
I open to hear what you have to say...
DragonWings is offline Find More Posts by DragonWings
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:48 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,145 Posts
I would think that in Arizona it would be pretty darned easy to find an appropriate place to fly.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:13 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Aug 2002
254 Posts
Surely sounds easier than the San Francisco Bay area...
juanmartinez is offline Find More Posts by juanmartinez
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:20 PM
mrX
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
My town has a great park for flying. They just won't let me use it now.

To avoid any troubles, my wife contacted the town police who informed us there was no law against it, but to check with the parks department. Upon contacting them (2 guys in the dept.), they chatted back and forth while on the phone and made a spot decision that it wasn't a good idea. Thus, no flying. Might just go to a town meeting to dicuss it some.

Keep thinking I'd of been better off not asking.
mrX is offline Find More Posts by mrX
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:48 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,145 Posts
"Many times it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission."

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 11, 2005, 02:09 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jan 2005
334 Posts
Juan, where do you fly in the bay area anyhow? Know any good fields? I've been flying for several months and I've yet to find a good spot for flying my ss. Almost flew it into the bay once, and almost landed in a tree another time. I'd also like to meet some other pilots. I've heard that San Antonio County Park is a popular spot, but I haven't gotten down there yet.

Jacob
jacobn is offline Find More Posts by jacobn
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:34 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
mrX, if you go to that town meeting, maybe you could make a pitch in terms the typical city councilperson might warm up to. Tell them about how RC flying can educate young people in science and engineering and keep them from getting in trouble, tell them it will pump money into local businesses, tell them it will attract more people to the park and raise the visibility of the city and its businesses, etc, etc. Make the case for wholesome, family oriented entertainment. Take along your lightest, most harmless foamy you have (a GWS pico Tiger Moth would be ideal, everyone seems to like these) and show them that it is lightweight, made of soft foam, quiet, pretty, and not a threat.

Whatever you do, don't tell them RC flying is mostly about middle aged men keeping their inner child happy. It may be the truth, and it is entirely healthy, but the average businessman/woman will not warm up to it.

Good luck!

DragonWings, good luck with your quest to get an RC park. In Los Angeles, where I live, land is so expensive that the city could make tens of millions by selling the land to developers rather than making a park. Not surprisingly, open spaces are about as common around here as hens teeth. Even the few empty lots I used to see are now filled with look-alike condos and townhouses.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Feb 11, 2005, 05:48 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Jacksonville,Florida
Joined Jan 2005
22 Posts
I also have trouble finding a place to fly with permission but as I have said before I keep my plane in the tool box and I'll whip that baby out on any open field I find. Now that the soccer/baseball season is stating Im sure I will get the occasional glance from those parents who think Im a bad man but that's their problem. By the way my boys play T-Ball and soccer and I've been known to stray away and fly more than once..Better to ask for Forgiveness than to ask permission is not a that bad...\
just my 2 cents..
acewannabee is offline Find More Posts by acewannabee
Old Feb 11, 2005, 08:50 PM
Joined Jun 2004
682 Posts
I agree 100%.

Have dealt with organizations for much of my adult life and have noticed that when a proposal is brought up to a committee (like a board, city council etc), NOTHING is ever a simple OK. You will ALWAYS have someone on the board that will be against your proposal, pick it to death, form a subcommittee to study it, or relay a story about a friend of a friend of a friend that got hurt because some gasser flew his plane into them. Then there will be questions on noise (even though we fly electrics), liability, safety and insurance issues.....easier to just table the motion than to take a risk, so some taxpayer can have some fun.

Take my advice, you have a better chance of flying locally at a park if you act ignorant, don't interfere with the soccer, football and baseball games, and call your plane a "toy plane", and don't mention that it can go over 50 mph and can do most aerobatics that a "real" plane can do.

Where I live, there are many school yards and soccer fields. I am a AMA member, but the closest flying field (mostly for gassers) is over 45 minutes away. I love flying just minutes from home.

Jerry
DoctorFive is offline Find More Posts by DoctorFive
Old Feb 11, 2005, 08:58 PM
Naples FL
Joined Jan 2005
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFive
I agree 100%.

Have dealt with organizations for much of my adult life and have noticed that when a proposal is brought up to a committee (like a board, city council etc), NOTHING is ever a simple OK. You will ALWAYS have someone on the board that will be against your proposal, pick it to death, form a subcommittee to study it, or relay a story about a friend of a friend of a friend that got hurt because some gasser flew his plane into them. Then there will be questions on noise (even though we fly electrics), liability, safety and insurance issues.....easier to just table the motion than to take a risk, so some taxpayer can have some fun.

Take my advice, you have a better chance of flying locally at a park if you act ignorant, don't interfere with the soccer, football and baseball games, and call your plane a "toy plane", and don't mention that it can go over 50 mph and can do most aerobatics that a "real" plane can do.

Where I live, there are many school yards and soccer fields. I am a AMA member, but the closest flying field (mostly for gassers) is over 45 minutes away. I love flying just minutes from home.

Jerry
Good advice.

Be safe and don't step on other's toes and you'll have no problem. I was flying my Miniflash at my kid's school tonight during the fish fry (Lent). No issues and only one kid came to watch! (I love electrics!).

As someone else said, it is much better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission. Also, don't ask questions that you don't want answers to!
Tripower455 is offline Find More Posts by Tripower455
Old Feb 11, 2005, 09:24 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jan 2005
334 Posts
I recently found what I thought was a good spot to fly and came to find out there are usually a lot of dog walkers there. Well, I'm sure many R/Cers have experienced this, but the dogs LOVED the plane! A little too much for their owners I think.

So I decided I probably won't fly there anymore except maybe early morning. I think dog walkers probably understand how R/C people feel, with all of the leash laws and no dogs allowed signs posted everywhere.

Anyhow, I'm glad I read this thread. Sounds like it is usually better to be humble and keep on people's good side than to "stand up for one's rights" to fly in public areas. I don't think there is really any need anyhow for a bunch of regulations to say where and where not to fly.

Jacob
jacobn is offline Find More Posts by jacobn
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:00 PM
mrX
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
I might just throw my plane in the air at the park till someone confronts me and says no. Then challenge the enforcement. Maybe they just aren't sure what it is, and if they actually saw it, would see how harmless it is.
mrX is offline Find More Posts by mrX
Old Feb 12, 2005, 06:40 AM
Joined Jun 2004
682 Posts
Last summer I was flying with a friend at an atheletic field at a local school. A police car stopped by........I was a afraid we were going to loose the nice site we were flying on. However, the cops (who were very nice) just wanted to watch and find out where they can buy a plane for their kids!

Even though the field had a long list of do's and dont's, flying was not one of them. However, can't fly there tuesdays and thursdays because of soccer games.

Jerry
DoctorFive is offline Find More Posts by DoctorFive
Old Feb 12, 2005, 08:37 AM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
I did the same thing, went to the local jr college around here and they have a big open fiedl next to it. No one ever uses it so I thought it would be fine. Come to find out that a lot of gliders pilots have been using the field for some time.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587