HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2005, 06:25 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,335 Posts
Looking for CNC Mill Part II

Continued from the previous:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62920

Let's keep this one more civil please. Remember, we are all here to help and learn.

Steve
Steve McBride is online now Find More Posts by Steve McBride
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2005, 06:56 PM
Why's the rum always gone?
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Apr 2004
342 Posts
Continued from Part 1

Oz..thanks for the info.

I have a Xylotex sitting on the bench right now and have been following the Xylotex users group on Yahoo, but thought I'd ask the question here. It is supposed to run the Biploar motors I bought so that's why I got it. I also saw somewhere that 24v @ 6 amps is what I should use as a PS for it. So now I need to build or buy one of those....My hobbies are going to get me in trouble with my wife one of these days.

If anyone else has any input on Xylotex please let me know.
longhair is offline Find More Posts by longhair
Old Feb 09, 2005, 08:28 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,859 Posts
I used a 3axis and a single axis xylotex for about a year before all the chips mysteriously died in unison when I switched on my controller. They are difficult to repair without special equipment (PLCC chips) It worked very well up until then though.. 24V is an ideal voltage for the xylos and although maxed at around 30V I think that's pushing them a bit hard.

For the psu a conservative rating of 1.5X the current each motor draws is a good start. I was using 4V 1.5A motors, they barely got warm and had a decent rpm's when driven by @ 24V.

... just promise to make things for your wife when your machine is finished
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:33 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I just finished reading the first thread lots of information. I was wondering how long it takes on average to build your machines.
I also downloaded KCam and TuboCNC and have been playing with them. I noticed that when I import a dxf or gcode into KCam the part is always off the grid. Is this normal?
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Feb 12, 2005, 06:17 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
955 Posts
This has happened to me too, I have only just started trying it out as well, there is a Kcam forum on the CNCzone site as well if you don't get an answer here.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Feb 12, 2005, 09:06 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I'll have to check that forum out. Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 02:25 AM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,859 Posts
The grid origin is at 0,0. I quickly tested that theory with a small part (centre of the middle circle is at 0,0) and it worked ok. Couldn't resize the grid however!

I think KCam is drawing your part correctly, check your part co-ords in your cad program, looks like the Y is offset to the negative side a little.

I haven't used KCam for years, as it seemed very jerky when I tried it (I think it's written in Visual Basic?) so my experience with it is still very limited.
Last edited by OzDragonFlyer; Feb 13, 2005 at 02:46 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 08:29 AM
Joined May 2004
15 Posts
Hi all, welcome to the new thread

Is there anyone here who has experience with the linistepper control boards? They state that they are for unipolar motors only. But you can run bipolars in unipolar mode too, right? Or was it the other way around?
TimKoene is offline Find More Posts by TimKoene
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:32 AM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKoene
Hi all, welcome to the new thread

Is there anyone here who has experience with the linistepper control boards? They state that they are for unipolar motors only. But you can run bipolars in unipolar mode too, right? Or was it the other way around?
Other way around. Unipolar have 5, 6, 8 wires ... bipolar only 4. Is linistepper a company?
Jay C is offline Find More Posts by Jay C
Old Feb 13, 2005, 07:35 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDragonFlyer
The grid origin is at 0,0. I quickly tested that theory with a small part (centre of the middle circle is at 0,0) and it worked ok. Couldn't resize the grid however!

I think KCam is drawing your part correctly, check your part co-ords in your cad program, looks like the Y is offset to the negative side a little.

I haven't used KCam for years, as it seemed very jerky when I tried it (I think it's written in Visual Basic?) so my experience with it is still very limited.
Thanks Oz. I moved the file in the cad program over to the corner more and lo and behold.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 09:18 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Ok, I have started to build a CNC router using a Rotozip for the spindle. My question is, what stepper motors are ideal for this application. I have been looking at stepper motors, but there are so many of them I am not sure which ones are applicable to this type of project.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:34 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
955 Posts
There are so many different types out there.

It is all down to the size of the machine, but for a normal DIY CNC that most of the guys are building, look out for size 23 motors (56mm dia) rated about 1 to 2A with a voltage of 2-6v.

These can be picked up fairly easily, check out ebay or old dot matrix or laser printers, photocopiers.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Feb 14, 2005, 01:28 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer
There are so many different types out there.
Thanks xairflyer. That is what was confusing me. I will be pulling some printers apart in the near future.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 04:16 PM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,859 Posts
The older (circa mid 80's-90's) large 24 pin dotmatrix printers are a great source for approx 4-5V @ 1A steppers. These are usually 1.8 degree per step as well compared to the later 7.5 degree units. A conservative rating for these motors would be 60-70 oz/in depending on when they were made.

Also look for architectural plotters, getting 3 or 4 of these will enable a rudimentary machine to be made pretty quickly.

happy hunting!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:04 PM
Lincolns Birthplace
Joined Jan 2005
12 Posts
Bipolar Unipolar discussion

http://209.41.165.153/stepper/
Link to above and select tutorials on a menu on left side.(in green)
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr
kywoodwrkr is offline Find More Posts by kywoodwrkr