HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2005, 09:25 AM
Rufus T. Firefly
Massachusetts, USA
Joined May 2004
500 Posts
Bad reciever

Hi, I like flying my fp hummer indoors, (especially in winter) but when spring comes, I like taking it outdoors, and it seems that every time I bring the heli outdoors to fly, I lose control, sometimes as close as 30 feet. I have already put a lot of money into this heli, and I can't understand why it would act this way outdoors, when it flys so well indoors. I'm using a cheap GWS reciever, and I'd love to get a berg. But will a berg reciever make a big difference? If I'm going to invest more money into this heli, I would like to think that at very least, it was money well spent. And why doesn't the GWS reciever work outdoors? Every time I fly this heli outdoors, I'm taking a risk because I might lose radio control at any second. This makes the hobby not so much fun. I've watched the videos of you guys flying around, without worrying about losing radio control, but I'v crashed my heli countless times because of this. I'm using a simple JR Quattro transmitter (4 ch) but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Please help
Lightnin' Bug is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin' Bug
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2005, 09:35 AM
goin' postal on my heli..
Glastonbury CT
Joined Jan 2005
418 Posts
Maybe there are interferences caused by nearby radio stuff...antennas...etc
maybe the naighbor has the same frequency on something...
Lino is offline Find More Posts by Lino
Old Feb 09, 2005, 10:27 AM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
The berg and the shadow 1 from sombra (http://www.dionysusdesign.com/Shadow1.shtml) both work great. My GWS receiver is kinda glitchy outside, but works OK. How is your antenna routed? Try a range check with the Tx antenna down, and see how far away you can walk before you cant smoothly control the servos
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Feb 09, 2005, 12:05 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Try not to think that a receiver upgrade is spending money on that particular heli.

The Sombra Rx mentioned is an investment unto itself. It can be put into any model that requires 6 channels or less and is frequency synthesized which means no more crystal changing. It will also work on both 72 and 75 Mhz so you could use it in surface models as well as aircraft.

One serious crash on a heli could pay the cost for the receiver!
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Feb 09, 2005, 07:06 PM
Rufus T. Firefly
Massachusetts, USA
Joined May 2004
500 Posts
I'm thinking that 30 feet is too close to start having radio problems. I shouldn't be having radio problems at 100 feet. It's not so much the servos that are the big problem. It's the throttle. Sometimes the heli will take off as if it has a mind of it's own when it gets more than 30 feet away. I'm using the antenna that came with the reciever, and it's routed around the landing gear (plastic) and hangs down about 6 inches. Are you guys all using bergs?
Lightnin' Bug is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin' Bug
Old Feb 09, 2005, 07:31 PM
MI
Joined Jan 2005
611 Posts
I have had problems with random serious glitching with the gws recievers. Have compared by switching to other brand rx's in the exact same setup and conditions. Only the gws glitches, and now recently has lost a channel. Way too unreliable.
uav51 is offline Find More Posts by uav51