SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 17, 2002, 04:00 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Need help setting up Hornet!

Ok, please be aware that I am setting up a used hornet that did not come with a manual. I just have bits of it and pictures from other hornets. My main issue is that the main gear sits too low and doesn't mesh with the tail pinion. Also, my swash does not sit level no matter how I adjust the servo arms(is this ok?). I have spun the rotor up to check the setup and it seems balanced and the swash turns everything fine. I'm going to post some pics for reference but my digital camera sucks. Thanks for helping a total newbie!
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2002, 04:05 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
here is first pic
Old Mar 17, 2002, 04:07 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
another
Old Mar 17, 2002, 04:28 PM
Houston, Texas US
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
I am on my first micro-heli as well, I am sure you know who JohnK is, I would direct this question his way. He is what I would consider an expert on the Hornet and has helped me many times.

Good Luck
Mike G.
Mike Giles is offline Find More Posts by Mike Giles
Old Mar 17, 2002, 05:16 PM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
it looks like you don't have a collar on the main mast?!?

that might be the problem, if not you can shave a bit off of the top of the main gear
Antyoo is offline Find More Posts by Antyoo
Old Mar 17, 2002, 05:36 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Hornet????

I really wished it wasnt called a Hornet, that'd be like named a helicopter a 172 or an airplane a Huey!

Who thought of such a name for a copter????
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Last edited by FANMAN; Mar 17, 2002 at 05:38 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 05:36 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
collar on the main mast? Ha! I guess that's what I get for buying used. Yeah, it seems like there is way to much play in the main shaft. The servo arms make the whole shaft go up and down. So what should I do? Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2002, 06:02 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Hi Spaulding,

Just install a tight fitting piece of fuel tubing below the swashplate against the ball bearing. I also use a thin washer sized just right to fit against the BB and prevend drag from the tubing.

Cheers!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Mar 17, 2002, 06:08 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
silicon tube and a washer also make sure the bearing above the main spur gear is snug in its hole, as for arms and swash get the arms close as pos to being square with the frame then adjust lengths of the rods by screwing them longer/shorter , the swash does benifit lots from being level as pos, equal range of movement in all directions.

nice to see that u got the CF blades, flys a bit more crisply then FG ones.

Any how, its name really suits I think, quite pokey and quick for such a small heli me like it lots

Drbird was getting his hornet going again and there is a bit more waffle on mods and stuff here later pages though

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=32878

good luck anyhow,
Choppa Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Choppa Nutta
Old Mar 17, 2002, 09:35 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Ok, I think I'm getting closer to having this thing ready to go. Can you ever get the blades perfectly balanced? I have adjusted everything I can think of and it still wobbles some. I have the chris rigoleth swashball mod and cf blades but it still seems like it could be better. Oh well, hear goes nothing! Wish me luck! I'll try not to put a hole in the wall.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 09:38 PM
Newport Coast, CA
Joined Aug 2000
112 Posts
It looks to me like you have your flybar paddles on wrong, make sure the rounded part is facing the way the paddles will spin
W Cole is offline Find More Posts by W Cole
Old Mar 17, 2002, 09:45 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Good eye, W Cole!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Mar 17, 2002, 10:27 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
Oh yeah, that wont help, amazing what you can miss, mind you I managed to wire up my motor the wrong way only to arrive at my indoor meeting and watching it press itself onto the floor DOH !
luckily some one had a soldering iron with them, lucky lucky lucky, am I sound like Kylie yet ?
Old Mar 17, 2002, 11:20 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Yeah I quickly changed that. Anyway, I put the training gear on, set it down, spun it up and the tail just spun around to the right even at full left. Also, it didn't even have enough power to lift. I took the training gear off and tried to lift off and it still didn't have enough power. It's all up weight is 10oz. without training gear. I am using my laser 4 because I haven't figured out my rd6000 yet. Do I need to mess with the gyro? Thanks again for any advice!
Old Mar 18, 2002, 12:22 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
sounds like your gyro might be on the wrong way round, or you dont have enough/to much pitch to stop the spin,
is the body spinning the same direction as the rotors ? sounds like I think ?! not sure

"tail just spun around to the right even at full left"

full left should make the nose point to the left = tail to the right !

are you watching the tail or the nose ?

if the motor is SH could be ready for a new one !

what about the batterys old or new ? new ones need running in so to speak before full power is achieved.