Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2005, 04:32 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Hi-Speed USB Ports not going Hi-Speed?

Ok guys-

My mother board supports USB 2.0 but when I hook it to my MP3 player, I cannot get it to use the hispeed side, it's saying I do not have a Hi Speed Host Controller - I have attempted to download all the newest updates from Windows..

Anyone know what I can do?

thanks

JEff
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:23 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Did you look for updates for your mb, not just for Windows?

My solution for a laptop that doesn't support 2.0 was a $25 slot card. Got this for quick xfer for an external HD, but it also works well for half-gig photo memory cards too.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:49 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Yeh, the updates for the MB are "download the newest service pack" from window's...

I may just snag a slot card also, but don't want to put the $$ into that when my USB's are 2.0 on my motherboard..
Old Feb 08, 2005, 06:02 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,483 Posts
Tram,
Did you go the the MB manufacturer's page and look for the specific updates for your MB. Many of them are updated before the MB is ever installed making this a necessary part of assembly. You install the OS and be sure it is stable, then install the MB software from the included disk. After that, you see if there are any additional updates on manufacturer's web site.

Good Luck,
LcJ
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Feb 08, 2005, 06:02 PM
Beginners Chat Sun 7to9
Longview
Joined Jan 2004
514 Posts
Tram , make sure your mp3 player is usb 2.0 also. if its not then the mb will default to usb1.1 to match the mp3 player. it will also default to usb 2.0 when your using a device that is usb 2.0
MC
marshallcowboy is offline Find More Posts by marshallcowboy
Old Feb 08, 2005, 11:03 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
I like that avatar MC.. The Mp3 player is 2.0..

I've been to the MB site - it just reccomends downloading the newest updates from window's...
Old Feb 09, 2005, 12:40 AM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
I like that avatar MC.. The Mp3 player is 2.0..

I've been to the MB site - it just reccomends downloading the newest updates from window's...
What version of windows are you running? USB2 is not supported until Windows XP with service pack1. If you are running XP with sp1 or 2 it should work, if not than the update is exactly what you need.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Feb 09, 2005, 12:46 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
I've got XP with Service pack 1... About to slap service pack 2 into it...
Old Feb 09, 2005, 06:00 AM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Sp1 should do it. You might need to go to the device manager and reload the drivers for USB. It should find them automatically as part of sp1.

BTW some mainboards support usb2 only in the back. The front ports on some systems are only usb1.1.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Last edited by lakedude; Feb 09, 2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 08:42 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
I've got XP with Service pack 1... About to slap service pack 2 into it...
Good luck with that. A wise man would make a backup of critical files before he applies SP2 to XP, because it's a bear to try to roll it back off in Recovery Console mode after a botched install. Ask how I know. I've had too many customers crying the blues after SP2 broke their systems to NOT recommend making a backup (just making a restore point won't help you if you can't get back to a desktop).

There are also many websites out there that have good info WRT considerations before you apply SP2 to XP. Worth a read.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Last edited by ElectRick; Feb 09, 2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 04:51 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Too late Rick. We actually got back to a desk top - then my HDD failed on me.. So.. umm.. No more SP2 for me. I'm off to get a new harddrive, as I need something while maxtor replaces mine under warranty..

Oh well.. I guess it's a good thing I backed up my computer just the other day.