Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2005, 03:39 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Snap flap for Flapped Nemesis

First time setting up this function. Was wondering 1) do you drop the entire trailing edge of the wing or just the flaps and 2) how much camber is good starting point at full elevator deflection?

Does the plane react alot differently to snap flap when it's ballasted vs. empty?

Thanks,

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2005, 03:50 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,062 Posts
I've not found too many 60"ers that benefit much if any from snap flap. If you do put it in you are generally better off just drooping the flaps a couple of mm (2~3) with full elevator. If you mix in the ailerons your really increase the chance of a tip stall, but you can do it, just mix in about half what you droop the flaps.

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Feb 08, 2005, 04:47 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,378 Posts
Ya, the Nemesis already has a pretty scary tip stall if you push
it too hard through a turn. I'd be pretty leary of using snap
flaps on it, but if I did, I'd do it as suggested above. Mostly
flaps and about half the throw for the ailerons.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:44 PM
Brighton, UK
Joined Nov 2004
13 Posts
Camber the entire trailing edge - it's too draggy if you run more camber inboard than out. Not convinced the inboard section was really designed to takes flaps very well (observe the behaviour with ail->flap mixed in).

Anyway, I do like to run about 0.5-1mm of snap flap in good perpendicular and vertical lift, ie. you're doing 3/4 to full reversals. If the wind is crossing or on a shallower slope, run the same snap flap but keep the wing reflexed by the same amount. Seems to make it a bit less draggy.

As the ballast goes in you need less or no snap flap. The, er, "exciting" handling at higher speeds means you have to fly it wider and smoother :-)

/Rich
richard_jerome is offline Find More Posts by richard_jerome
Old Feb 08, 2005, 06:05 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,404 Posts
Clay-
I agree with Richard Jerome above- if you use it, do the entire TE, but not too much. I think the profile used decides how much, if any can be used(mg-06 can use some). Also, you may want to be more conservative on the CG if you ARE going to try it.
Also, the F3F guys have said before that it's good to have a dead zone where the elevator moves before the snap flap kicks in; that way, the wing isn't being spoiled for small course corrections.

Good luck,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 08, 2005, 06:08 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,886 Posts
My friend has a flapped nemesis. It was flying good but not as fast through the turns as he had hoped. I programmed 2-3mm snapflaps in just the flaps and it made a noticeable difference. The main thing is to play with different setups to get the plane flying like you like it. It is not about the BEST setup but the setup YOU fly best with.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Feb 08, 2005, 06:14 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,404 Posts
That's what I SHOULD have said! Well put, Mike.
T
Old Feb 08, 2005, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Thanks for the responses

I'll put a minimal amount on a switch and try it both ways with a conservative cg. Target, I saw a post recently that said to make sure that the snap flap didn'tstart to kick in until at least 40% elevator throw. Sound about right?

The thing I'm the most nervous about is that I've always flown my planes very touchy, nearly never using full throw for any manuever. This plane is going to be set up requiring lot's of stick movement to get the very small throws that are recommended. Oh well, always learning, right!
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Feb 08, 2005, 07:23 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,404 Posts
Sounds like the right setup for racing to me...
Mike(SlopeJockey) recommends only 4mm down and 10mm up aileron at full throw, for f3F on the Trinity, to give an example, and it has HUGE surfaces....

Good luck, Land shiny-side-up!
T
PS. 40% for the dead zone sounds about right on the snap flap, but you'll have to try out what works for you...