HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2005, 02:30 AM
Joined Jan 2005
28 Posts
Fuel issues for COX 0.049

Hi All,

I'm Oren from ISRAEL, came back to nitro, from the electric world, tired of charging batteries all the time (an carry thier weight after it ran "out of charge").

I bought 0.049 blackwidow engine and using BYRON, 5%nitro-methane with 16% of synthetic oil.

Someone told Me not to use such fuel cause it can damage the engine for the long-run (according to him I should use nature oil with 20%nitro).

Should I stop using the BYRON, has anyone heve recomandations or experience?

Many Thanx, Oren

i.e - I have build Dynaflight "skitter" and flew it with a carbon POD made by a friend - will post pic later on
neniwein is offline Find More Posts by neniwein
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2005, 06:32 AM
Mission, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
401 Posts
I agree with your friend. 20% Castor oil and 20% nitro is a good mix to use. 16% oil is too low for an .049 and Castor oil protects better.
Bipe Flier is offline Find More Posts by Bipe Flier
Old Feb 11, 2005, 09:58 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
Byron makes an all-castor 1/2 fuel. Get some of that. It's good stuff.
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:35 PM
Concord,NC
Joined Sep 2003
182 Posts
Oren,

Cox engines need straight castor oil as the lube. The piston ball socket will wear out very fast without the castor oil. The castor also helps the reed seal. Also the small 1/2a engines love nitro so the more the better. I am sure you may be limited on what you can get over there. Even though the nitro level is low I have found my Cox .049's love SIG Champion 10% nitro all castor fuel. I believe it's 25% castor.

Later,Tim
Tim Wiltse is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wiltse
Old Feb 12, 2005, 01:37 AM
Joined Jan 2005
28 Posts
I found in Here chemicals store and can get methanol, Castor and nitro.

As much as I now one should mix (as mentioned by Tim) 25% of castor, 75% of methanol and add something around 10% of nitro to the castor/methanol mixture.

Is it true?
neniwein is offline Find More Posts by neniwein
Old Feb 12, 2005, 02:34 AM
Mission, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
401 Posts
If you can mix it yourself, I'd use 20% Castor, 20% to 25% nitro and 55% to 60% methanol.
Bipe Flier is offline Find More Posts by Bipe Flier
Old Feb 12, 2005, 05:31 AM
PRO BRO 921. AMA 40405.
LAKELAND
Joined Aug 2004
63 Posts
bipe is right. sig champion is 20% oil. 20% nitro is a good mix. I would stay away from byron in 1/2a fuel because of the glow plug element coating issue; coats elements on norvels, lot of posts about that some time ago. used to use sig champion in quarts exclusively in my 061, 35% nitro. I fly 074's now, they run fine on less nitro. still got a black widow lying around, though!
ron ferrer is offline Find More Posts by ron ferrer
Old Feb 12, 2005, 01:12 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Yeah, Cox engines REALLY NEED lots of nitro, and castor oil only. Read an old article on some really fast 049 model, running 80% nitro (EEEK!!).
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Mar 05, 2005, 01:00 PM
zahgurim
Joined Sep 2004
244 Posts
One problem when you start getting up in really high nitro is that the caster will not mix well. I have seen it turn into little snowflakes in the fuel when you get up around 40%. This will glog your needle. A fuel maker told me that when you get that high you must use high quality synthetic only. HIGH quality synthetics are rare in most fuels which is why adding caster is a good idea.
rperry is offline Find More Posts by rperry
Old Mar 06, 2005, 06:33 AM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Byron 1/2A fuel coating glow plug elements? Another "I read it on the internet so it must be true" myth. That got started over on RCU by 2fast4u but his info was Norvel based. Maybe something Norvel plug specific or he was using some other Byron fuel blend....dunno. Never trust a Norvelite.

I've been using Byron 1/2A fuel since they 1st put it on the market with nothing but excellent results with Cox engines I used it as is for a couple years before I started adding 1.5 oz. Sig castor to bring the lube % up to 20%. At my flying field's altitude, I need 4 gaskets and a low compression head for steady running and a happy needle. YMMV

Here's a link to an online fuel calculator that takes away the math misery of fuel mixing. http://www.nitrorc.com/default2.asp?...rc.com/fuelws/
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD