SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2005, 11:56 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
How do you know if your ESC's really dead?

OK, up until now, my ESC ( E-Flite EFLA105) has been working fine in bench tests. Today, I closed up the plane after getting everything where I thought it should be. I tested the motor, and it ran for a couple of seconds as I eased the throttle forward, and then quit. I opened up the plane, and everything else is working fine, and the motor (speed 400) works fine when I apply direct power to it.

No smoke, no scorch marks, no hint of what might have gone wrong. The only thing I can see is that the motor leads might have shorted because instead of taking the time to put proper bullets on it, or just solder it directly to the ESC, the spade connectors were sticking a bit out of the rubber boots.

Is it done? Just write it off and get a new one? Or are these things fixable?
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2005, 12:17 AM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
Hack open the Shirnkwrap and see if you have any cooked components, Most speed controllers will still run the radio equipment even when cooked. Also give it the sniff test, cooked controllers give off a very distinct smell
P-U
netmechanic is offline Find More Posts by netmechanic