HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:32 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Well flystoolow,

All I know is that I attempted to download theGL manual and got this.

“A $4.95 charge will be billed to your credit card”

So, if a new builder wants to check out a great instruction manual for free, please try this link to the Spirit manual. It is a long download but a great manual.

http://www.greatplanes.com/manuals/gpma0530-manual.pdf

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:52 AM
Joined Nov 2004
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fprintf
flystoolow: I think your first point about the GL vs. Spirit is a bit off. I don't know about you, but neither plane is really suited for handlaunch gliding. So for most people you just stuff it on a histart - no throwing, therefore throwing weight is not significant.
fprintf:

In the flat lands, you're right. But in the hill country, my favourite type of thermal flying is done in the mountains. Here we often leave our houses at 7:30 in the morning in order to hike up mountains to be ready for the first extremely light early morning mountain thermals. I really can't say enough about the magic of this type of flying. Long before any valley thermals form, the sun warms the steep mountain rock faces and up come some unbelievably light thermals. The air is usually dead still (not a breath of wind), so when the bush leaves begin to quiver, we throw our Gentle Lady's very hard in order to get a little height. It's basically find lift right away, or land before your plane descends below launch and meets it's maker. After 15 years of flying in this manner, we've never come across a plane better suited than the Gentle Lady. Just light enough to throw hard, just big enough to see 3000' above launch, thermals in a waft of warm air, cheap, very responsive to rudder, slow enough to land on ragged rocks if you miss the catch, and easy to repair. Some days, if the lift is fickle, we'll end up throwing out about 30 times during the morning. Believe me, I built and flew a Spirit...ouch! Sold it.
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow