HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:53 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Tom,

I have no experience with any of the planes you listed. That said I would save the Olympic 650 for later. You will learn much on your first build and the oly is too nice a plane to mess up. The other guys may be able to give you some info on the Essence. I would start out with the Sig Riser and find all the help you can muster.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:13 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Tom,

I just found this link.

http://www.easyrc.com/sailplanes/index.html

It has some good info that may be of some help to you.

John
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:23 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Tom

That link is very sale(ish) but could be of use. You would do better to read all the instructions that you can get your hands on, including the Spirit manual listed at the front of this thread.

John
Old Feb 18, 2005, 04:58 PM
Thunder Bay, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
451 Posts
Thanks John

Thats the kind of advice I'm looking for. I agree about the 650, it is a nicer kit, its true what they say about Airtronics, wouldn't want to ruin that kit. The Essence is interesting too as it can be built with a V-tail. The Riser is more basic, looks like it needs a little more crafting but that might be just the ticket for learning.

I'd like to build light too as my interest is in soaring. My question is about covering material. I see monokote mentioned all the time but how do these light transparent coverings such as Sol-lite compare weight/strength wise? Can these 2-metre planes be covered the same way as the small handlaunch planes?

Tom
tw126a is offline Find More Posts by tw126a
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:03 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Hey Tom

The sig riser is a good plane to learn on. I had an old thrashed one for a while and hey, it still thermaled up to 3000' a bunch of times. It flies very similar to the GL...just not quite as sweet.

If you're willing to build the electra as a straight glider, go for it. It will fly very well and be quite tough to boot, as it is built a little heavier than the stock Gentle Lady. If you want to build it as an electric glider, try to get a modern geared motor for it as the monster that comes with the kit bags the plane out and brings a tear to my eye.

Covering? Monokote, Ultracote, Ski Jackets, they're all ok. Ultracote is very nice. Here's a good plan: Cover the underside of the wings and tail a dark, solid colour for good visibility, and cover the top with a translucent film so you can see exactly where the damage is after a crash. My first glider was covered totally solid, and this is not much fun when you're trying to decide where all the damage is. The covering adds a tremendous amount of strength to the wing on these open bay balsa planes...so using mirco film is usually not a good idea for the larger planes; every mouse's ear will tear a great long rip in it too.

How'd you get all these planes? They're a perfect bunch for learning how to thermal.

Good luck, and have a lot of fun.
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Last edited by flystoolow; Feb 18, 2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:01 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Did I mention that I love the Gentle Lady?
Last edited by flystoolow; Feb 19, 2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 01:01 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
flystoolow

All the Spirit kits I have seen come with plywood capped aluminum joiner. Not sure where he got his kit but I would have him take another look in the box and read the instructions. On the one piece wing they may not show the capped aluminum joiner (not sure) but I always use the strongest material I can find. That said I find the ARF joiner weak for a winch launch even with the aluminum. I bent an ARF joiner on a nose in and replaced it with a thicker alumanum joiner. I think the one-piece wing with the FG tape and larger aluminum joiner is a much stronger wing.

John
Old Feb 19, 2005, 02:02 PM
T-D-P-What?
Renton, WA
Joined Nov 2003
106 Posts
could the "weak" aluminum joiner perhaps be purposefully designed failure mode? If it is, then replacing it may do more hard than good in a crash.
Purdue Aero Man is offline Find More Posts by Purdue Aero Man
Old Feb 19, 2005, 02:29 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Purdue Aero Man,

I think you may be correct but if you rubber band on the wings you have a fairly good safeguard. The problem is that it is a beginnerís plane and not designed for aerobatics and winches. Itís a high-start floater. If you are looking for aerobatics and full pedal launches you are talking a more advanced design.

John
Old Feb 19, 2005, 06:22 PM
Thunder Bay, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
451 Posts
flystoolow

Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards the Riser too as a first build. I've been following the various threads and noting which are the better planes amd then its hello ebay. Been able to get quite a collection such as the 2 metre Gnome, Paragon, Windfree, Spirit 100, Super Monterrey, Gambler +, all of these have come with some good reviews. But these I consider more advanced and not suitable for a first build/flying plane. My biggest difficulty has been to get an actual build going, time is a factor too, I might be able to commit an hour a night to it.
Thanks for all the encouragement and tips, everyone. My building table is just about ready.

Tom
Old Feb 19, 2005, 07:35 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw126a
flystoolow

Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards the Riser too as a first build. I've been following the various threads and noting which are the better planes amd then its hello ebay. Been able to get quite a collection such as the 2 metre Gnome, Paragon, Windfree, Spirit 100, Super Monterrey, Gambler +, all of these have come with some good reviews. But these I consider more advanced and not suitable for a first build/flying plane. My biggest difficulty has been to get an actual build going, time is a factor too, I might be able to commit an hour a night to it.
Thanks for all the encouragement and tips, everyone. My building table is just about ready.

Tom
The Gambler+ kit has few pieces and is an easy build. It's also a very easy to fly, very good handling and thermalling glider.
The Sig Riser kit has a poor reputation.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Feb 19, 2005, 08:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Why does the Sig Riser suck?

Well, the answer is simple:

The wing is too flat for a 2m poly bird, and as a result it is extremely sluggish in responding to full rudder inputs (usually just when you're about to hit a tree, car, or goal post)...and boy is that tail ugly.

If you are going to build the Riser, I strongly recommend increasing the dihedral and polyhedral angles until they match those of the Gentle Lady's wing. In addition, I would copy the fin and rudder design of the Gentle Lady and make sure you have loads of throw on the rudder. These are very minor mods that will net you a better flying glider.

Then it will be a good glider to learn how to thermal with.

That said, if I were you, I'd sell the Riser kit and go ahead and build the Electra as a straight glider. It really is a much better plane. You say you have not much in the way of time to build so my best hint is to visit your local hobby shops and buy whatever used 2m glider is hanging from their ceiling. They are usually a real steal...totally built...ready to fly in 2 hours...usually sold for around $60 canadian.
Last edited by flystoolow; Feb 19, 2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 09:25 PM
Thunder Bay, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
451 Posts
I think that the Gambler, because of its size and weight, needs a bit more finesse keeping everything straight, light glue joints, fiberglass, etc..
The Riser looks like it has lots of glue joints to practice with. Thanks for the tip about the poly angles, makes sense. Just a newbie thinking, can always stand to be corrected.

Tom
Old Feb 20, 2005, 06:56 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgospod
Tom,

You will learn much on your first build and the oly is too nice a plane to mess up. John
Tom

Ditto for the Gambler. I suggest that you not build one of the nicest kits first. You will learn new skills on your first kit and maybe make mistakes. Don't spoil a kit/build you will regret later.

John
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:05 AM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgospod
Perry

You may be correct about the GL kit but I havenít seen it.

John.

John.
I like to see arguments against the GL based on so much experience!

It's very helpful.