HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2005, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2005
16 Posts
3X2 Downspout

Since 3X2 downspout is easy to find, has anyone had much luck using it? Most fuel tanks would require cutting off one side of the downspout the length of the tank, but other than that, it seems like it would work well. Has anyone else had luck using 3X2 downspout?
jetheller is offline Find More Posts by jetheller
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2005, 04:33 PM
Tornado Alley - USA
Joined Apr 2004
145 Posts
Friend -
In my geographic area the square downspout is getting getting hard to find. If I wanted some right now I only know one place and it would be 90 miles from the house. For that reason a couple of my friends have successfully built fuselages from what they could get at the local Lowe's or Home Depot.

The spout was rectangular in shape an pretty thin wall stuff. I'm not sure on the dimensions, but it had "corrugations or flutes" that made it look similar in appearance to the old common style metal downspout. Is this what you are considering? Anyway my friends have made a couple of planes from it, and they happen to find tanks that fit inside, so they didn't trim out any side. I guess it would be called a success, they flew OK. However, it did seem to have more flex (particularly in the tapered area of the last half of the fuselage), than the square type.

PS. Our Ace hardware was the last place in town to have the sq. stuff, and it's gone now. The only home stores that I know of right now that carry it last time I was there was called McCoys building center. I think they are in the south central US. Big in TX I think. You might do a online search and see if they are in your area.

Happy building ang flying
Twister2 is offline Find More Posts by Twister2