SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:34 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Pat, I think you're doing a fantastic job with these models, not just for your customers but also for the whole future of aeromodelling. I'm 42 now and was an avid aeromodeller from the age of 5 onwards, from my first Sleek Streak through the Keil Kraft and Guillows gliders and rubber powered models I built and flew. Back then I dreamed what aeromodelling COULD be like, if only... and now these designs, and the work of other outstanding designers like Peter Rake and Ika Klemetti, are showing just how that dream has become a reality. These designs, combined with the availability of today's fabulous RC and silent, powerful motor / battery technology, and the CAD / CNC/ laser cut developments, make me optimistic that aeromodelling can have a great future. You're done us all a great service.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:43 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,512 Posts
Work, Thanks much for the kind words, and being lumped into the fold with Peter and Ika is a very high compliment!
I truely believe that there are still a lot of "modelers" out ther, hungry for cool stuff to "build", and as long as there's somebody out there to build it, I plan to keep working on new stuff to build! I think the mass market knows it too, and with the small drive systems and Lipoly batteries so easily (and affordably) obtainable, the Sky's the limit.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:55 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,189 Posts
Pat, I sent an e-mail to Dumas congratulating them on adding these models to their line and stating that I wanted to buy the C-140 kit ASAP. There has been a need for kits like these for some time now. I expect other small scale model kit makers will expand their lines to include scale models that are easily convertible or designed for electric power. Easily-built model designs with clear and complete plans and instructions plus laser cutting should sell well and bring a lot of modelers back to DIY modelling with the increase excitement and pleasure that it can bring. Maybe we'll see much more organized electric fun scale contest activity.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:11 PM
Joined Sep 2004
88 Posts
Building "proper" model planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Work, Thanks much for the kind words, and being lumped into the fold with Peter and Ika is a very high compliment!
I truely believe that there are still a lot of "modelers" out ther, hungry for cool stuff to "build", and as long as there's somebody out there to build it, I plan to keep working on new stuff to build! I think the mass market knows it too, and with the small drive systems and Lipoly batteries so easily (and affordably) obtainable, the Sky's the limit.
PAT
Pat,

I've followed your thread and I think your Cessna 120 is one of the most staggeringly beautiful models I've ever seen. If you were in the UK I would offer you hundreds of pounds for it, just to have it as an exhibit and be able to look at it (and touch it) every day !! I might even fly it too ..

I have a question for you, if you have the patience to raed through this.

I have always loved model planes with a passion, and started building with the usual Keil Kraft balsa and tissue rubber powered models that were around in the late sixties/early seventies (I'm in my forties now). Problem was, I had no-one to show me how, and because I am not naturally gifted, the standard of construction was not always very good (understatement). They never flew that well and I was always left disappointed and disillusioned.

Ten years ago I saw in a model shop a semi-scale Piper Cub-like rubber powered balsa and tissue plane called the HyperCub (made by DPR Models in the UK if I remember correctly). I thought, I will have another try at making a plane, only this time I will be much more patient and thorough, and it will all be great. Or so I thought. But when the day came for the maiden flight, the plane did not fly well, and even after experimenting with c.o.g., propellor downthrust angle, tailplane angle of attack (no levators on this one) etc it just never flew well.

Then last year I jumped into radio control for the first time, and "built" (read glued) some foam electric flyers (Multiplex and Ultrafly 3-5ch models). OK these are not proper models in the true sense, but at least they fly well, and at last I feel I have experienced the art of basic flying. I absolutely love it.

So now I am ready for a third generation attempt at proper modelling. The question is, assuming I build and cover a real balsa "former and stringer" model like your Cessna fairly carefully, can I expect that with radio-control it will be a bit more flyable than rubber power, since I can compensate for little faults with input controls and then find out what needs tweaking ? Basically do you think radio-control makes flying a bit easier than rubber powered models of old, or I am deluding myself - ie unless I am a really really precise craftsman, just stick with the ARTFs and foamies.

This has been a bit of an epic email, and a little embarrassing to write. But I would really appreciate some advice from someone who is clearly a master in the art. BTW. Are Dumas kits available in Europe ?

Thanks,

David
Multiplexcubman is offline Find More Posts by Multiplexcubman
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:30 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,826 Posts
Hogster, What and where is this photo competition?

David,

Welcome! Not any more embarassing than my frequent crashes at the local field

I will answer since you are alluding to mistakes that I have mde over the past two years.

First, build the model as accurately as you can. Yes, the controls can take care of problems, but, it will fly better if it is all aligned properly to start with. Having said that, some of my modelling attempts have been crude and needed a LOT of trimming to fly right. So, the short answer is, yes, R/C does make it 'easier' to get a plane to fly right than does free flight.

Second, you don't have to be a precise crafstman. I am not and have had several successful airplanes. These Dumas kits are classic stick frame planes and are fairly easy to assemble and to fly. If you are fairly competent with foamies then flying one of these will be just as easy.

Third, if you have done the maiden flights for your foamies, then this one should be the same kind of thing. It will be much harder on the nerves because you will see all that time invested as it rolls down the runway

Fourth, if you can, try and find someone in your area who builds and flies. It will be a tremendous help both during the build and the first flights. Also make great friends that way. BTW, Pat is the friend I have made through modelling and it has been a great experience.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,826 Posts
PS where in Europe?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:37 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
David,

I am certainly no master, but rather another like yourself, only I'm sure my building skills are probably even worse. I think the answer to your question about the expectations for flying a balsa "former and stringer" model by radio control has to be answered in the affirmative.

Since getting back into the model airplane hobby almost 2 years ago, I have built several balsa models, two of them of the type in question, ( a Hobby Lobby 46" Super Cub, and the latest, a 60" Dare Design J-3 Cub kit, transformed into a Super Cub). Both of these are designed by Pat Tritle, and both flew great. The latest Super Cub build has a thread on this forum.

My builds aren't as beautiful as some seen on here, but they do fly. I say go for it, my modeling is mostly self-taught, with a lot of help from this forum.

You can do it, just use patience, and try to think things through before you do too much gluing, and ask for help here if you get stuck.

It's a great hobby, and I find the more I build the better I get. Still have a ways to go at covering and finishing though!

Happy Building!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Feb 10, 2005, 01:01 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,545 Posts
Cessna C120

Pat

Great thread on the 120. Man you certainly can crank them out. You are just killing me trying to keep up with your output.

Gotta finish off the Fairchild 24, start the Ercoupe and Mr Mulligan, order the L-19 and Waco. Catching my drift??!! You have enough great designs to keep me busy for weeks and months without even considering all the other planes I want to do.

While everyone is asking for designs here is my list in no particular order:

Funk (Ford inline version)
Rearwin Skyranger
Rearwin Cloudster
Globe/Temco Swift
Porterfield Collegiate
Aeronca Champ
Aeronca Chief
Aeronca Sedan
Areonca Chum
Luscombe Model 11
Culver Cadet
Interstate Cadet
Waco YMF3/5
Spartan Executive

Time to get busy, you have a lot of planes to design!!!

Great work Pat, these are great designs and great flyers.

Brian Allen
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Feb 10, 2005, 01:53 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Hogster, What and where is this photo competition?
Here ya go!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330442
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:39 PM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
808 Posts
brian, I just went and looked at that funk. bothe the ford inline and the c85 version are gorgious aircraft. too bad they went out of business. I now have a semiscale inspiration to for my kadet senorita that has been bare bones for years. I think it will be a electric version of the C85. pop out some new tail feathers and shape up the nose a bit, and convert it to a tail dragger and it is very close to the Funk c85
REVKEV6 is offline Find More Posts by REVKEV6
Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:01 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,512 Posts
You know another one that might be kinda' fun is the Piper Chummey!
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:04 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
the funk is from akron ohio--did the funk brothers do the ford engine or did it change hands?

T
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:05 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,826 Posts
You know Pat. If you took some time to do some drawing I might be able to finish one plane before you come out with another one My stack of kits waiting to be built is getting higher! Then there's this guy named Rake that has some neat stuff too

I know, I gotta go cut more ribs

charlie
Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:07 PM
Light and floaty does it
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Oops double posted! (edit)
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Last edited by Work in Progress; Feb 10, 2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:11 PM
Light and floaty does it
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
And from over the pond, some contenders might include:
Bucker Jungmann / Jungmeister
DHC Chipmunk
Stampe SV-4
Emeraude / Cap-10
Auster series
Zlin 226 / 326 / 526