HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2005, 03:45 PM
ontheweekend
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Corflute source in Sydney Australia?

Hi there, could anyone point me in the direction of Corflute in Sydney? Preferably on the South Side near Sutherland.

Also, I have heard there is no square drainage pipe in Australia, is this correct? WIll I have to use aluminium?

Cheers
Rob
ontheweekend is offline Find More Posts by ontheweekend
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2005, 03:32 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
12 Posts
Hey there ontheweekrnd,

I'm up in Brisbane and had the same trouble starting out in the SPADS. Instead of 2 1/2 inch down pipe, I use 4mm corro. I determine the size required and cut and fold. I join down the bottom centre with toothpicks. a couple of formers hold it all together.
As for corro. I hunted around a bit and found that many manufacturers use it as packing. I obtain 3mm black from an aluminium fabricator. It comes in large sheets and is used to separate sheets of ally. I obtain heavy 4mm from SouthCorp Packaging. and I have obtained 3mm from electoral offices of loct politicians. I haven't had to pay for any of it yet. Just need to hunt around a bit. I have posted pics of my latest SPAD in the thread titled elevated sickle. I used toothpicks to join 4mm in lieu of down pipe. The 4mm is lighter anyway.

Cood luck
Darren
Ozfly is offline Find More Posts by Ozfly
Old Feb 06, 2005, 02:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
252 Posts
Rob
Sign Sheet Distributors sell 3mm & 5mm corro. They are located at Blacktown, but will delivery (usually next day) any thing from 1 sheet up to whateverer for $10. Very good prices and colur choices.
Andrew Zaf at Modelcopter sells 2mm or you can get 2mm from H Store. A bit more expensive than Andrew, but close to you
Steve
khan_01 is offline Find More Posts by khan_01
Old Feb 06, 2005, 02:22 PM
ontheweekend
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfly
Hey there ontheweekrnd,

I'm up in Brisbane and had the same trouble starting out in the SPADS. Instead of 2 1/2 inch down pipe, I use 4mm corro. I determine the size required and cut and fold. I join down the bottom centre with toothpicks. a couple of formers hold it all together.
As for corro. I hunted around a bit and found that many manufacturers use it as packing. I obtain 3mm black from an aluminium fabricator. It comes in large sheets and is used to separate sheets of ally. I obtain heavy 4mm from SouthCorp Packaging. and I have obtained 3mm from electoral offices of loct politicians. I haven't had to pay for any of it yet. Just need to hunt around a bit. I have posted pics of my latest SPAD in the thread titled elevated sickle. I used toothpicks to join 4mm in lieu of down pipe. The 4mm is lighter anyway.

Cood luck
Darren

Many thanks Darren, I went to Bunnings yesterday and found that they had almost nothing that could help me, no square down pipe, no square light aluminium etc.

I will take your advice about hunting down the spare sheets used in packing, if I didnt have to pay that would be perfect!

When you say toothpicks to join the 4 mm, how does that work, is that to hold in place while you are glueing the formers?

Cheers
Rob
Old Feb 06, 2005, 02:24 PM
ontheweekend
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_01
Rob
Sign Sheet Distributors sell 3mm & 5mm corro. They are located at Blacktown, but will delivery (usually next day) any thing from 1 sheet up to whateverer for $10. Very good prices and colur choices.
Andrew Zaf at Modelcopter sells 2mm or you can get 2mm from H Store. A bit more expensive than Andrew, but close to you
Steve
Thanks Steve, I actually called up H Store yesterday who advised they didnt hold any?? My work takes me all over Sydney so I will head over to Blacktown today, get myself a sheet! Many thanks for the tip, any chance I could contact you for some more tips etc when I actually get round to starting to build?

Do you know of any really good source of simple information, such as how to crease and fold, building wings, the real basics of SPAD?

Cheers
Rob
Old Feb 07, 2005, 01:34 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
12 Posts
Rob,

To join woth toothpicks. Cut your corflute so that the flutes run the lenght of the fuse. Count an even number of flutes for each of the top, sides and bottom of the fuse. Cut the measured rectangular section out. Determine where you will fold the corro to make the sides and cut out the inside of the flute where each bend will be. Mark out and fold so that the corro meets in the centre bottom of the fuse.

The toothpicks push accross the flutes on each side of the join. When it is pushed through the corro it pushs the hole and pushes plasctic in the same direction as the toothpice. It is surprisingly hard to pull back out against the direction of the displaced plastic. You then cut a couple of ply formers and screw them in place with servo screws. I use two on each side.

Regards
Darren
Ozfly is offline Find More Posts by Ozfly
Old Feb 10, 2005, 05:02 AM
ontheweekend
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfly
Rob,

To join woth toothpicks. Cut your corflute so that the flutes run the lenght of the fuse. Count an even number of flutes for each of the top, sides and bottom of the fuse. Cut the measured rectangular section out. Determine where you will fold the corro to make the sides and cut out the inside of the flute where each bend will be. Mark out and fold so that the corro meets in the centre bottom of the fuse.

The toothpicks push accross the flutes on each side of the join. When it is pushed through the corro it pushs the hole and pushes plasctic in the same direction as the toothpice. It is surprisingly hard to pull back out against the direction of the displaced plastic. You then cut a couple of ply formers and screw them in place with servo screws. I use two on each side.

Regards
Darren
"

HI Darren, I made my fuse as per above, but only problem was the on the two pieces that join together, I found that as they did not have the hinges (which make the side slightly longer) it did not match perfectly.

I am going ahead anyway, but do you know of ANYONE in Australia that actually sells that sqaure downpipe PVC? I worked the phones for 1 hours today for no avail, it would make my life soooo much easier, rather than trying to make fuselages out of coro.

Cheers
Rob
Old May 04, 2005, 05:12 AM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Mitre 10 on Botany Road at Mascot has corro in stock.
Approx 10 bucks for a 8x4sheet.

They have black, clear and sometime have colors.

Cheers.
Brett
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
Old May 04, 2005, 05:15 AM
ontheweekend
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nator_au
Mitre 10 on Botany Road at Mascot has corro in stock.
Approx 10 bucks for a 8x4sheet.

They have black, clear and sometime have colors.

Cheers.
Brett

Cheers!

Thanks for that, I will head there tomorrow, thanks for that, I live pretty close to there.

Many thanks
Rob
Old May 04, 2005, 07:13 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Hey Rob,

Where do you live?
And what are you going to Build.

I live just around the corner from Mitre10 on Gardeners Rd.

Im off there tonite to pick up a new sheet or coreflute, and plan to build a light (as I can) 2mt thermal glider.

I just finished a 1.2mt slope soarer modeled after the CS eraser slope soarer, but am going to try something big this time.

Cheers.
Brett
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
Old May 08, 2005, 04:05 AM
ontheweekend
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nator_au
Hey Rob,

Where do you live?
And what are you going to Build.

I live just around the corner from Mitre10 on Gardeners Rd.

Im off there tonite to pick up a new sheet or coreflute, and plan to build a light (as I can) 2mt thermal glider.

I just finished a 1.2mt slope soarer modeled after the CS eraser slope soarer, but am going to try something big this time.

Cheers.
Brett

Hi Brett, I have already made 4 corflute planes, three high wing trainers and a low wing. Managed to find corflute at both Mitre 10 and a number of perspex / plastic shops around the area.

I live at Mortdale (near Hurstville).

Would love to see that 2 metre thermal glider in corflute! Please post pics, and let me know when the test flight is, would love to come along and see how you go.

Cheers
Rob
Old Jul 01, 2005, 10:46 PM
Chesty
Reedy Creek, Qld, Australia.
Joined May 2003
366 Posts
check out the 4th post on my build thread for a cheap supplier of coro in Brisbane :O)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...postid=1957668
ClimaxPilot is offline Find More Posts by ClimaxPilot
Last edited by ClimaxPilot; Jul 01, 2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 06:54 AM
Joined Sep 2004
5 Posts
Ripped off

Had to buy some 5mm corflute today for some ailerons and was ripped off $45 for a piece 600 x 150 mm at Signarama between Brookvale and Harbord. They have a minimum charge - total rip off. Next time, I'm going anywhere else. Cheers Peter
ilduceglider is offline Find More Posts by ilduceglider
Old Mar 06, 2009, 03:25 PM
Joined Nov 2006
180 Posts
you guys should not be paying $10 a sheeet, go to your local bottle shop and ask for a few of their old advert signes out the front of the shop, its all 3mm coro, just check the flutes go in the right direction, or any good sign shop if your after unprinted sheets, I use all hot glue to stick them all together its strong and flexable.
good luck Rod
SPITFACED is offline Find More Posts by SPITFACED
Old Mar 07, 2009, 03:05 AM
ontheweekend
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduceglider
Had to buy some 5mm corflute today for some ailerons and was ripped off $45 for a piece 600 x 150 mm at Signarama between Brookvale and Harbord. They have a minimum charge - total rip off. Next time, I'm going anywhere else. Cheers Peter
Signarama is a complete rip off wherever you go, when I had my own business I went there...once... they completely shaft you, I think they are a US chain