HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2005, 09:41 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Reflex XTR making your own cable for JR

Hi All,

My LHS has Reflex XTR with the Futaba Radio Connector. I have a JR Radio.

If I buy this copy would I be able to make a cable for my JR Radio.

Does anyone know what is the common cable that comes with Reflex XTR. I assume it's usb at one end and you order the package that has the right connector for you radio. If this is the case, I should be able to make my own cable and connect it to the common cable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2005, 10:51 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
The Reflex interface (=hardware lock=copy protection) goes into your USB port, and it has a telephone style connector port on the other side. You can easily convert the JR plug into one that fits your Tx (only two wires), or make an adapter. See www.reflex-sim.de , support>Transmitter>connections menu.

Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Feb 05, 2005, 11:55 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Hi Max,

Thanks for the info, I had a look at the Reflex website but missed the page that you referred me to. Seems pretty straight forward, If my LHS can get a copy quickly, I will wait otherwise will just buy the Reflex for Futaba Radios and make my own adapter.

Thanks again,

Gord.
Old Feb 05, 2005, 01:38 PM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,359 Posts
> You can easily convert the JR plug into one that fits
> your Tx (only two wires), or make an adapter...

Not so fast!
Different transitter brands have different PPM signal voltage and XTR interface does not handle them equally well. I tried connecting XTR interface for Futaba (which, BTW dosn't work with some Hitec transmitters, though most TX-to-PC interfaces work equally well with Futaba and Hitec) to my JR transmitter using an adapter and had no luck at all--XTR interface was unable to read JR signal. I know that adapter works fine as I'm using it with a USB interface from MileHighWings.com.

I suspect that Futaba and JR interfaces for XTR are different in more than just connectors.
bluesky123 is offline Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old Feb 06, 2005, 01:46 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
bluesky123,

Thanks for the heads up...I guess I should play it safe and wait 10 days for the Reflex XTR with the JR connector to show up at my LHS. Gives me enough time to put together my new work pc (aka gaming PC). :-)

Gord.
Old Feb 06, 2005, 05:17 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky123
I suspect that Futaba and JR interfaces for XTR are different in more than just connectors.(
Just read the support pages on the Reflex website. The differences between brands and the problems encountered with low signal voltages are well documented there.
Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Feb 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,449 Posts
Gord;

As far as I can tell the USB interface is the same for all transmitters. It's the cord and plug that that you will need. You can make your own if you have access to a mono mini plug, some two wire cord and a crimp-on phone plug. PM me if you need anymore info or I will be at the Chilliwack fly-in this Saturday.

Rod
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:41 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Hi Rod,

Thanks for the info, Norburnrc said they will have some Reflex XTR with the JR plug in about another 5 days or so...I think I will wait to avoid any complications...gives me time to put together a nice and fast pc for it.

Cheers,

Gord.