HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2005, 12:46 AM
OKC,OK
Joined Mar 2004
71 Posts
It has been awhile since I posted, still working on the 41 UTB, painting the house seemed to get in the way this spring. She is almost done, deck details are about it, all painted, electrics installed etc..

My question is what is the best prep for the metal parts that dumas sent with this kit? They will need to b painted, other than cleaning up the cast edges is there a type of primer I need to get or will my trusty krylon work?

I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Charlie
OKC, OK
cshelden is offline Find More Posts by cshelden
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2005, 04:43 AM
all my boats are broken
manila
Joined Aug 2004
164 Posts
please post pics. what are the dimensions of this boat?
ernest2 is offline Find More Posts by ernest2
Old May 17, 2005, 04:22 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
From the Dumas website: 31" LOA and 10" beam. The model is 1:16 scale (3/4" = 1').
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Aug 28, 2005, 09:25 PM
OKC,OK
Joined Mar 2004
71 Posts
Finished: Uscg 41' Utb

Well I finally finished my project only took 6 months. Not to bad. The best part is my bench has been cleaned, tools put away tape, glue scraped and ready for my EC12 project.

I've built this for a friend who has a swimming pool and wanted it for some kids to play with as well as himself. I've left off many of the "extras" since it will be handled but still wanted it to look about right from 5 feet away. So if it looks like it is missing something it probably is. This is my first scale boat build, not to mention my first Dumas kit.

Over all I found the kit easy to build, not real intuitive in places but with some forethought and study it made sense. I coated the hull with westsystems epoxy and cloth of .75oz so I have that skill under my belt for the ChrisCraft under the bench (maybe start it after my EC12 sailboat).

I have it powered with 2 21turn car motors, running off of 2 7.2v 1500mAh packs with a Tekin ESC. It runs in what I would call scale at 1/2 throttle, and insane at full. Nice thing is you can get that quick acceleration on the turn. My brother sent me some video and pics of real 41's in action in Mobile. Feel free to critique as I'm always wanting to learn more.

Thanks to all for your support, comments etc...through this build.

Charlie
OKC, OK
Old Aug 28, 2005, 09:57 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
It looks great! But not for long, lol. The "kids" will see to that.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:27 PM
OKC,OK
Joined Mar 2004
71 Posts
well they aren't little bitty, more like teenagers, and he will keep them in control. So I hope haha.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 05:49 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Nice job! Lucky kids!
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member