HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:11 PM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,009 Posts
Jun,

We have geared our single stack unit, and intend on making a gear box for it too. Right from the top of my head I remember 1:4 reduction ( Kenway gears ), 10.5V, GWS 8*5HD, 1amp, 90gms thrust. Is this what you'd be looking for?

-Uttam
Uttam1 is online now Find More Posts by Uttam1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:15 PM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,009 Posts
Jun, I was probably hasty on my last post, I'll need to check on those figures again. I have written down 50gms at 700ma, 7.4V, but I havent written down figures for 3 cells. I'll check and let you know.

-Uttam
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:27 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Uttam,

I am looking for a minimum of 4oz thrust at 1.5A using 3-cell 250mah LiPoly packs, preferably on a GWS or Wes 8x4.3 prop. Whole drive (plain outrunner or geared) should be 15 grams or less.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Last edited by nolasco; Feb 09, 2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 04:26 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Quote:
Is there a 14g or less brushless motor out there that will put out over 4oz of thrust at 1.5A using 3 cells? The RS-LRK 195.03 looks close. Unfortunately, it looks like the prop would be too small.
Jun,
Unfortuntately I don't think there is an outrunner available yet that can drive a 8x4.3 prop DD and that weighs less than 14g. You will have to either go up in size on the motor, or down in prop size to something like a 7x4. Or, you will need to gear it.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Feb 10, 2005, 05:32 AM
Holland
Joined Dec 2002
107 Posts
Actually, I do use a WES 8x4 prop on the 11 gram Strecker motor on a 3s Irate 300 pack in my "Shockwave" design. As usual the performance data of the Strecker motors are very conservative. On a typical 3D aircraft where full power is only used in short period bursts and the motor sits out in the prop wash you can almost double the maximum power rating. The great thing about these motors is the very broad power range and efficiency.
Bert v/d Vecht is offline Find More Posts by Bert v/d Vecht
Old Feb 10, 2005, 06:53 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Bert,
Thanks for clarrifying that. So, Jun, the 11g RS-LRK motors should be available soon from Dave Lewis and should meet your needs if you don't run them at that level for sustained periods.

Gordon
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:59 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
I have resurected my Quick Citabria. When it last flew it had one of the early RFFS conversions to 2-cell opertion by Matt Keennon. It used two LiPolys and a M20-MV at 6.7:1 and a 5x3 3-bladed CF prop. Unfortunately a radio glitch sent it into a wall at considerable height and it fell to the floor in pieces.

I've put it back together with a new wing pylon, a longer tail moment, and most importantly equipment to use it as a test bed for micro BL outrunners. It has the new JMP servo RX that uses a separate ESC, a BSD lightened CC Phoenix 10 BL controller, and two Falcon servos. Batteries are either a 145x2 or 170x2 LiPoly pack, depending on the motor used. I machine a wooden adapter for each motor that presses snugly on the CF tube fuselage. This allows swapping motors at the flying site. And, since all the equipment is out in the open it's also easy to swap, say, BL controller from a 2-cell unit to a 1-cell unit like the Heino Young YGE4 BL.

Tomorrow night I'll fly it with the Gary Jones Mini Disc BL from Bob Selman, and also with Uttam's 2-cell Micro Midget motor. Should be fun.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Feb 11, 2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:02 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Closeups of the MiniDisc BL and the MicroMidget and their press fit quick change mounts.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 02:30 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,009 Posts
Gordon,

Looking great! Looks like you are using the 5*3 prop and our single cell wind?

Good luck with both setups!
-Uttam
Old Feb 12, 2005, 07:11 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Uttam,
Nope. Tha't your 2-cell wind with a 4x2.5 prop. Next month I'll try the Heino Young 1-cell controller and your 1-cell motor.

Gordon
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:00 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
It looks like it's time to give David another email! Thanks folks.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old Feb 13, 2005, 09:22 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Well the Quick Citabria flew great. How could it not fly great with so much thrust relative to its weight. With the MiniDisc motor the all up weight is 43.5g, about the same with the Mightly Midget as I added clay to the nose to balance with that lighter motor. With either motor the plane has abundant power and flys at about 40% throttle. Stall turns are easy, and there is lots of power on tap to get out of trouble. All in all it shows how much fun planes based around these motors will be.

Gordon
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:46 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,009 Posts
Congrats Gordon! You have no idea how happy that makes us feal

Happy landings,
Uttam
Old Feb 13, 2005, 01:57 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,150 Posts
thanks for the results and fotos Gordon. Very happy to hear
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:09 AM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
940 Posts
alright is there any way we could end up with a 3d set up with one of these little beuties??? anyone tried?
Devin McGRath is online now Find More Posts by Devin McGRath