HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2005, 02:15 PM
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Dec 1996
701 Posts
Push-E Cat V4

Hello, Folks:

Well, after a long and oddly twisted path, I can safely let you all know that I have reached an agreement with Denny Maize of Polecat Aeroplane Works (www.polecataero.com) to continue production of the Push-E Cat.

Kits will be available from Denny starting no later than March 1, 2005. He's already got the CNC set up to cut wings and fuselages and I am finishing up the new addendum for the V4 instructions.

The new V4 Push-E Cat features a revised wing planform that improves turning performance. The addendum instructions will include hints for "streamlining" your 'Cat.

Denny will also be producing our aileron version of the Push-E Cat, the Twin Cat, sometime later this year.

Denny is finalizing his price structure at this time. Please visit his website and contact him for additional information as it becomes available.

Best regards,

Darwin Garrison
Darwin is offline Find More Posts by Darwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2005, 02:48 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,498 Posts
DAR!!!

Good to see a post from you, amigo!
For those of you unfamiliar with Garrison Aerodrome and the Push-E-Cat series, these planes were THE go to planes for beginning and early intermediate pilots although for a while it seemed like everyone was flying them and the other offerings from Darwin. I still have a Manx kit that I can't decide to either build or keep as a collector's item.
Made out of EPP and a pusher configuration, these planes flew VERY well and are as close as indestructible as you can get. Since the PEC is now going to be in production again I can heartily recommend them as a viable option to all of you beginning pilots.

Good for you, Darwin. I hope things in IN are getting better.

Mark
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 04, 2005, 03:08 PM
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Dec 1996
701 Posts
Hey, Mark!

Nice to see you, too. I miss getting my monthly trips from my old job to San Diego for visits.

Things in Indiana are good. We're settled back in and not planning on ever moving again. I'm hoping to actually fly this year.

I hope that the new Push-E's will serve the next batch of beginners as well as their predecessors served the previous ones. I certainly can't fault the quality of the cut foam. Wow! CNC is great stuff.

Thanks for the words about the history of the 'Cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
DAR!!!

Good to see a post from you, amigo!

*snip*

Good for you, Darwin. I hope things in IN are getting better.

Mark
Old Feb 05, 2005, 05:24 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,362 Posts
Well Dudes

I already have a complaint about the new V4. I think everyone should be aware that if there is thermal activity around, running the motor is an option rather than a neccessity. Launched the V4 the other evening, climbed to about 75 feet and felt a bump (Handlauncher at heart:-) Shut off the motor and had to land 25 minutes later because my neck was getting sore from looking up. Now no where in Darwins instructions did I see any warnings about this possible health hazard! Not to mention the fact that I was due in to have dinner, t'd off the wife when I was late, of course she didn't buy my story because she didn't hear the motor running. I'm thinkin that between the health hazard and the undo emotional stress of a damaged relationship I may have grounds for a law suit! Darwin, my attorneys, Cheatum, Beatum and Howe will be in touch.
On the other hand, the first batch of kits will be ready within the next 2 weeks:-)

Denny
dennymaize is offline Find More Posts by dennymaize
Old Feb 05, 2005, 05:29 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,362 Posts
BTW

Here is what the new V-4 looks like
Old Feb 05, 2005, 06:29 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Hurray!!!!!!!!

sniff ... sniff ... I thought I'd never see the day that the Push E Cat would be back in circulation ... have been waiting for the twin and aileron version for a long time ... guess I could have done it myself ... but then I'm lazy.

Anyway ... here's one Push E Cat owner happy to know that many more will be joining soon.

Logan5
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Feb 05, 2005, 09:31 PM
Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
133 Posts
We had a ground hog fun fly today, still had about 2 or 3 inches of snow on the field. I flew my PEC (v2 I think) today for the first time in a long time. It still flies great.
KevinSheen is offline Find More Posts by KevinSheen
Old Feb 13, 2005, 08:23 AM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,362 Posts
Kevin

Interesting note here:-) A friend and I discovered the other day that the PEC will ROS, or rise off snow:-) Also will do lovely touch and go's in the snow. What a blast!
The first batch of Push E Cat V-4's is cut and ready to go out later this week. They are not up on the web site just but should be shortly. If interested you can contact me directly at denny@polecataero.com
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:09 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Denny, When I got my new XP-4 wing in the mail and unpacked it I looked at one of the pieces of "packing foam" and started laughing. My wife asked me what was so funny and I pulled out this "odd looking" hunk of foam and told her that I think Denny sent me one of his new experimental fuses. Now that I see a pic of the PEC I know what it was, a PEC fuse It must have been one of your prototype foam cuts, Darn, I wish I would have kept it now. ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:14 AM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,362 Posts
Randy

I don't throw much away. If you go to Office Max or Staples sometime check out the price of packing peanuts. Now if I can just figure out how to machine them into peanuts on the cnc router:-)))))))))
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:22 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Denny, I just think its funny that it WAS a fuse. My wife told me that I am just too R/C plane crazy and that to me everything looks like a plane to me As for the packing peanuts, I could always loan you my 2 dogs, I am sure if you leave the foam hunks out they will gladley turn them into packing peanuts for you ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:34 AM
Newark Ohio
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
I like these.!!! I have a friend looking for a plane for my kid, and I think I will get 1 for my grandkid too. 2 questions first. What motor, prop and battery will I need to get.? I am strictly a Lipoly Guy. And if I decide to go to an aileron model, will I be able to get just a wing when they are available. ? Not a deciding factor, I am just curious.
Hivoltage is offline Find More Posts by Hivoltage
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:11 PM
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Dec 1996
701 Posts
The Push-E Cat was originally designed to fly on a 6V S400 motor, 7x600AE
nicads, and 5.5x4.5 Master Airscrew prop.

Before production ceased previously, the preferred power pack was a 7.2V Speed 400 long motor, 8xKR1700AEL, and a 6x4 Master Airscrew prop.

Because of the ENORMOUS number of LiPoly/motor/prop combinations available on the market today, your best bet might be to get someone to run some numbers through a program equivalent to E-Calc and find something that is comparable or better in power.

The fuselage design is interchangable between the Push-E Cat and it's future aileron versions. One aspect to be aware of is that with the twin version, you will probably want to house the speed control in the "cabin" area (with cooling crossflow). Also, the balance point shifts forward to directly beneath the spar.

Regards,

Darwin Garrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage
I like these.!!! I have a friend looking for a plane for my kid, and I think I will get 1 for my grandkid too. 2 questions first. What motor, prop and battery will I need to get.? I am strictly a Lipoly Guy. And if I decide to go to an aileron model, will I be able to get just a wing when they are available. ? Not a deciding factor, I am just curious.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:36 PM
Newark Ohio
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
I might be confused here, but is the aileron (Twin) version using twin motors or what. Anyhow, I would like to place an order when you are ready. You have my email address.
Hivoltage is offline Find More Posts by Hivoltage
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:58 PM
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Dec 1996
701 Posts
I will be providing Denny with the CAD work for both a twin motor aileron wing and a single motor aileron wing. The aileron wings have a different planform than the normal 3-channel PEC.

I have to send Denny a new instruction addendum to go with his kits as well as some boxes and some pushrods. As soon as he receives those, he should be ready to rock and roll.

Please note that I am not a sales point anymore. All sales are to be handled through Denny at Polecat Aeroplane Works. (www.polecataero.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage
I might be confused here, but is the aileron (Twin) version using twin motors or what. Anyhow, I would like to place an order when you are ready. You have my email address.