HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2005, 02:13 AM
Your Mileage May Vary
Rocklin, California (Near Sacramento)
Joined Nov 2003
508 Posts
All of my RC Stuff Stolen!!!

Along with my truck and atv trailer. Got the truck back less the wheels, tires, radio, amps etc. Oh ya, and all of my RC stuff. I'm talking about 4k worth of stuff. I was wondering if anyone (God forbid) has had this happen and then have to deal with insurance. I'm wondering how the insurance company is going to deal with this. I was going camping and had my whole hobby room in the truck. Most of this stuff I had was still new.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

steve-
dartbrandx is offline Find More Posts by dartbrandx
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2005, 03:01 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Seems there's an epidemic.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330305

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Feb 04, 2005, 03:13 AM
Your Mileage May Vary
Rocklin, California (Near Sacramento)
Joined Nov 2003
508 Posts
I just read that thread and boy that makes me even more nervous! I usually bought my stuff with cash and got rid of the "evidence" just incase the wife took a peek into the wallet. I have no record of 99% of my stuff. I do have the backing of the local hobbyshop owner though. He has offered to sign any documents or answer any questions that the insurance company has. The more I look at the list, the more nervous I get. I am not trying to pull one over on anyone, especially my insurance co. I just want to get back to where I was.
dartbrandx is offline Find More Posts by dartbrandx
Old Feb 04, 2005, 03:37 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
what is a deductable? I'm 18.... so I don't have any insurance really of my own ( well I do, but parents deal..) I'm just trying to learn.

r
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Feb 04, 2005, 04:16 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroback
what is a deductable? I'm 18.... so I don't have any insurance really of my own ( well I do, but parents deal..) I'm just trying to learn.

r

A deductable is a value that you and your insurance company agree to at the signing of the policy (this is really set values and you get to pick which one you want) the higher the deductable the lower your monthly cost the lower the deductable the higher your monthly cost.

lets say you file for 1000 in loses and you have a 500 deductable you pay the first 500 and they pay the rest.

There are times when you clain one value and they derate it and pay you less than the purchase price even when you have proof of cost. (Depretiation)

Also filing clains you should know that after 3 clains you will likly have your rates doubles or you may be canceled.

We just had to switch from Safco to a diffrent insurrer for that reson

we had a frezzer fail and the food spoiled 1500.00 worth of meat.we had to photo copy every lable of every thing we claimed (actually i photograpghed it all) then we had the wind take out 150 feet of fence

and we had out auto insurance on this plan as well which did help lower the over all cost but when my car was keyed and i turned in a claim that triggered the whole bad risk raising of out premium..

The bad news we had the same insurance company for 15 years we paid 10 times what we claimed..

Ok i was rambling hope this helps mudd things up for you..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Feb 04, 2005, 06:15 AM
Texas
Joined Jan 2005
1,433 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I would watch ebay also. Hope everything works out for the better for you.
smurf is offline Find More Posts by smurf
Old Feb 04, 2005, 06:59 AM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,415 Posts
sorry for your lost. When you hear stories llike that, makes ya wish for the days of the old fashion western lynch mobs. Insurance? LOL- Legalized organized crime!
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Old Feb 04, 2005, 09:27 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Our first nanny boosted my Tag Heuer watch and a nice gold chain i gave my wife for valentines day. She even had the balls to show up for work the next day like nothing happened. The claim came to $1k even, and it was paid within like 2 weeks or so. No deductable, no problems. A month later they cancelled us. Our agent immediately found another company - same insurance, About same cost, IIRC. Typical forms to fill out, so all in all it wasnt THAT bad.
The feeling of rage you get when the $%&# (you KNOW the word i wanna use) who is supposed to be caring for your 4 month old preemie twins (one on an apnea monitor) is spending her time rifling though your drawers is by FAR the worst part.

As for larger claims like yours, i suspect that larger cash value might make it worth their time to send in the actuaries to beat you up a little...

It might help to post a list & pictures so we can look out for this stuff.
Actually catching the guy only really adds to the nightmare, but theres 'none so sweet as the fruits of revenge'.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Feb 04, 2005, 09:34 AM
WWW.AWLHOBBIES.COM
Elmira Regional, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2004
493 Posts
Man that sucks. I hope they find the guys that did it. Good luck with the insurance companies, sometimes they can be tough to deal with.
94ZA4 is offline Find More Posts by 94ZA4
Old Feb 04, 2005, 12:22 PM
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
Joined Jun 2004
585 Posts
The same thing happened to somone on RCUiniverse. All thier combat stuff was stolen. It's really scary what people will do now-a-days!
Crazyrcer is offline Find More Posts by Crazyrcer
Old Feb 04, 2005, 12:55 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this. I think I would want to die. Now that you have mentioned this, I wonder what Homeowners covers if it was stolen from inside your home? I would guess it's the same routine. Scary.
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Feb 04, 2005, 01:14 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
Hate to see this happen to anyone. I live in lincoln, not far from Rocklin. Had the battery stolen from my truck. Cut lots of wires. That was a pain for me. Hard to imagine your loss. Might help if a list was provided so we can be on the lookout in case any of the stolen items are put up for sale.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Feb 04, 2005, 01:17 PM
There are FOUR LIGHTS !!!
Long Beach Municipal, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
Was the truck with you at the campground or at home while you were away?

I'm slightly worried because we're thinking about going camping in 1-2 weeks with our RC gear.

I'm VERY sorry to hear that this happened. Keep an eye out on Ebay.
psycho_klown66 is offline Find More Posts by psycho_klown66
Old Feb 04, 2005, 01:38 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Steve,

Keep and eye out on ebay....and if there are any "pawn" shops around the area, I would go by and check them out. Especially for the amps/radio....You could mention what was taken, but that is risky. Sometimes the pawn shops are in with the thieves that do this stuff. It sounds crazy, but it happens more than you think. This doesn't sound like a crack head. It may have been a pro. If you see anything that is yours on ebay or in a pawn shop....Contact the authorities right away and don't confront anyone.

Do you have pictures of any of your planes and other equipment? That may go a long way for the insurance company (not really sure if that will help but....)

As hard as it may be, we should all keep our receipts and take pictures. (as long as i don't have to add it all up )

Good Luck!

-t
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Feb 04, 2005, 02:13 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Just in case it slipped you, when searching ebay you can localize it to your area; stolen goods don't usually wander far before transfering.

Good Luck!
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor