Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 03, 2005, 02:47 PM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
Tiger Moth 400 build "scale details added"

Hello all,

Do not know if there is enough interest since there are a lot of Tiger Moth builds out there. I picked up a slope GWS Tiger Moth 400 yesterday. My plans are to add some scale detail. This will be my first scale attempt. My goal is not to have it win a scale competition, but to look good and fly good. I picked the moth as the first try because I figured it can handle a little added wieght and has a large following so there are a lot of pics to look at. So far I am going to add some detail to the fuselage, add the oil cooler hump and make some detailed landing gear. Will also be adding wind screens and other stuff. Your input and advice is welcome. Shuold get started today.

Can I glass the plastic fuselage? I want to glass it to help cover the black, add strenght and help in adding detail. I just do not know if it will stick to the plastic very well. I am going to sand the fuse to ruffen it up a bit. If the glass will not stick should I try and use the stock fuse as a mold maybe?

Rob,
Cruzer is offline Find More Posts by Cruzer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2005, 03:37 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
The fuse on a tiger moth 400 is not plastic...the COWL is though. You dont need to glass it, just paint it. I glassed everything else on mine with 0.56oz cloth, sanded, then painted...made CF struts, installed CF spars, went with upper and lower wing ailerons, 17lb test fishing line for the wires, and added to the tail surfaces for more deflection so I can do more maneuvers (like knife edge & yes even hover)...here's a pic of mine. First one is a decent static shot...second one is my fav pic of her in flight...third is me with her the other day to give ya a frontal view...Setup is Mega 16/15/4, 3:1 gb, 3s TP2100, APC 13x6.5, CC25 esc.
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Last edited by DrkSdeOTM; Feb 03, 2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2005, 03:57 PM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
My bad did not mean the fuse was plastic but the cowl. I am doing an experiment with an old cowl now to see what I want to do. I want to glass it as it is very flimsy. Nice plane.

Rob,
Old Feb 03, 2005, 04:05 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
My suggestion would be to glass the INSIDE of the cowl. Just paint the outside. I dont think you'll be able to get it as smooth as it is stock if you glass the outside.
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Feb 03, 2005, 04:30 PM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
Thanks,

I am thinking about doing the inside. Will see how the practice cowl turns out. The cowl is black and I want to paint it white. I am worried about painting the white right on top of the black. I glassed the practice cowl which is a black plastic. I put one coat on normal then added some white paint to the next coat of verethane to help white out the black. We will see.

Rob,
Old Feb 03, 2005, 09:13 PM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
If you spray it with model paint like Testor's white will easily cover the black in 2 or 3 coats. Don't worry about adding weight to the cowl - up front isn't where it hurts you.
zeuglodon is offline Find More Posts by zeuglodon
Old Feb 05, 2005, 05:15 PM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
Here is a pic of the landing gear of a full scale Moth that I want to try and duplicate. It will not be perfect scale but want to try and get as close to the look as possable. Also in the pic is the cowl with the vent in it.

Rob,
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:51 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Any progress?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:18 AM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
Not much progress, have the landing gear figured out and about half done. Been busy with other things but will be getting to it soon.

Rob,
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jul 2002
524 Posts
Looks kewl Cruzer, went out to fly my today, short flights, mucho wind on a light build. My build is with the stock control surfaces, and they give plenty control authority, how are the larger throws? Are you using exponentials? limited? How much throw do you have on each? Do i have any more questions?
sa-10 is offline Find More Posts by sa-10