Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 03, 2005, 10:46 AM
Just a little more epoxy!
Southampton, UK - Birthplace Of The Spitfire
Joined Nov 2004
79 Posts
The Perfect Free Material For Mixing Epoxy On !!!

Hello everyone....

Just thought I would share my pearls of wisdom with you...

Go down to your local worktop/laminate supplier and ask for a set of laminate swatches.. These measure approx 35mm x 100mm x 1.5mm thick and come in sets of around 100 - All pretty colours. You can also get laminate swatches 150mm x 150mm. These are ideal for mixing epoxy or filler on.. They also have many other uses.

Most worktop suppliers are more than happy to give them away free of charge. Colours and ranges change every year, so most suppliers have boxes of last years colours just taking up space.

I have been using them for the last 5 years... Mix your epoxy. Apply and throw away.

Cheers
*Hurricane039* is offline Find More Posts by *Hurricane039*
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2005, 09:25 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,847 Posts
A double layer of aluminum foil works great. Flat for small batches, make a cup for larger. If you can sneak it from the kitchen, it's "free".

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Feb 03, 2005, 09:59 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I go into Burger King a couple times a year. Pick up a handful of the free plastic ketchup cups while having a coke or coffee. Wonderful for mixing small batchs of anything. Including epoxy or paint. Coffee stir sticks come in very handy also.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Feb 04, 2005, 12:33 AM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
I run cardboard shipping boxes through my band saw and make 6" or so squares and store them in a box...When it comes time to mix epoxy or bondo, I grab a square and some popcicle sticks (craft sticks) and after I'm done...Throw it away..
JerryHall is offline Find More Posts by JerryHall
Old Feb 04, 2005, 08:04 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,510 Posts
Although not free... You can get those page-a-day calendars at a great discount after the new year.... And as you mix epoxy you are treated to a new joke, antedote or what ever
rcav8r2 is online now Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Feb 04, 2005, 11:07 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
The local realitors leave these note pads on the front door. I think I have ten years worth at the present rate I mix epoxy.
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Old Feb 04, 2005, 11:39 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
I use scrap backing film of Solite rolls.

And all the yogurt cartons SHE ends up with
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 04, 2005, 11:42 AM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Business cards! Most people in Corporate America are forever changing their jobs/positions/titles. I have a standing request out in my company for anyone with out-dated cards to bring them to me. I have thousands of them and they are perfect for most jobs. Occasionally I use a 3x5 index card for a larger job.

Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Feb 04, 2005, 12:22 PM
Santo, Tx.
Joined Aug 2003
134 Posts
Bottom of an empty beer/coke can. Jim
Blazer is offline Find More Posts by Blazer
Old Feb 04, 2005, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,926 Posts
The green plastic cans that chewing tobacco comes in make handy epoxy mixers. When the epoxy kicks just flex it and the disc of cured epoxy falls out. I also used to use a number plate from a motocross motorcycle. I think they were both polypropelene.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Feb 04, 2005, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGliderFlyr
The local realitors leave these note pads on the front door. I think I have ten years worth at the present rate I mix epoxy.
Never knew they left notes on rented property.

Maybe they did not know.

Most use paper plates.

Roy
Roy Simpson is offline Find More Posts by Roy Simpson
Last edited by Roy Simpson; Feb 04, 2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2005, 04:05 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Almost everything is packaged in 'blister packs' nowadays. I just cut off any plastic blisters that seem useful sizewize. Usually have a nice collection of different sizes lying in a drawer under my desk. And for very small ammounts I-ll often just use some scraps of cardboard / thick paper.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Feb 05, 2005, 05:13 AM
Guernsey - UK Channel Islands
Joined Aug 2003
458 Posts
PVC sheet is great. After the remains of the glue is set, just peel it off. This stuff is great for covering plans as well as nothing sticks to it. I use builders quality
VincentC is offline Find More Posts by VincentC
Old Feb 06, 2005, 10:38 PM
Joined Jun 2003
179 Posts
I put a couple of strips of thick masking tape down on my work bench and mix it on that. Once dry just pull it up and throw it away.

You can also use a plastic lid from a coffe or yogurt container. Once dry the epoxy peels off and you can reuse the lid.
asennad is offline Find More Posts by asennad
Old Feb 07, 2005, 08:03 AM
Middletown, DE, United States
Joined Dec 2003
428 Posts
Plastic Coated Freezer Paper

I bought a roll of plastic coated freezer paper at the local supermarket, cut it on the bandsaw into rolls approximately 3 inches wide. When I need to mix epoxy, I just cut off a piece the size needed and mix. Discard when finished. Easy and 1 roll of paper will give quite a supply.

Bick
Bick is online now Find More Posts by Bick