HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2002, 06:49 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Went to the dark side, Raptor 30

I broke down, and decided to get a Raptor 30 with an evil glow motor in it. I ordered it so I could learn to fly helicopters on it.
THe bottom line is simple, Comparing the costs of repairs, THe Raptor 30 is 4 times cheaper to repair than the Eco 8, and EVERYONE has tons of parts for it.
FOr 20$, I can only get 1 hardened main rotor shaft for the eco 8, on the Raptor 30, 20$ will buy you 4 of them.

Hell, I also figure later on, maybe I will tackle making it Electric?

Also seams that the glow powered R/C heli's are much more rugged then the electric versions, but this is understandable, weight is much less of a concern.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2002, 07:13 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

Wow, you did the samething I did and for the same reason.

I love my Raptor 30, it flys for 15 mins and is really stable due the wieght increase.

I really dont like practicing new manuvers on my Eco 8 because it only take one second to have a $150+ repare bill. I only prefore a manuver with my Eco that I a comfortable doing in my Raptor 30.

Here is some advice I suggest you take. First I suggest you go to helihut www.helihut.com or you LHS and purchase the following items:

**HeliHut Raptor 30 double Mini Crash Kit that includes--2 550mm wood Blades, 2 tail booms, 2 Spindles and 2 flybars

**Raptor 30 Aluminum Metal bottom Frame stiffener(the 8 dollar one, I think it is a better design)

**Rocket City links(not at helihut)

*Miniture Aircraft Tuff Struts(after you break your stock gear--not at helihut)

*Aluminum Swash(half the price of the Ikarus swash--when you get better and need better control)

I suggest you the ** items off the bat and you will be set for a long time. I have been through 3 crashes and I still have parts left! The best part is the total of the ** items is $70!!!

I would leave it nitro powered if I were you.

Well, have fun with you new stinky toy I am with mine.

Carlo
PS: I decided to leave my Rappy at home for my spring semester in college to make more room. I flew it and realized how nice it is. I even acciendtlly autoed it into an electrical box(those thing the power company puts in some yards) and the only think that broke was the blades. Not even the spindle was bent; I did change it just because I have 2 spare Tough and inexpensive, just how I like it.
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Mar 15, 2002, 07:18 PM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Mountain View Moffett Fd, California, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,048 Posts
Hi Bill,

In my experience, the costs are about equivalent, perhaps a little more for electric. The most costly part of crashes are generally the blades and SIPPs (seemingly inexpensive plastic parts - grips, arms, etc.). I think you'll find the average cost per crash to be around $60-$100 for either electric or gas.

However, I think you made the right choice for learning. Though you can learn on an electric, the benefits of longer flight time and more power are a definite advantage. Also, the stock Raptor has enough performance to allow you to learn pretty much everything you need to know from hovering to rolls, flips and 3D. To get this kind of performance on an electric you need lots of upgrade$.

So learn on the gasser, but fly electric. No lashings with a wet noodle today...

--jim
jaggies is offline Find More Posts by jaggies
Old Mar 15, 2002, 07:20 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

Also, I dont know what gyro you have but I suggest the GY240( www.helihut.com) and a pretty fast servo like the Hitec high speed digital for $50 at www.servocity.com or the GY401 and 9253 combo( www.helihut.com). A good gyro and tail servo makes flying a lot easier, dont go cheap on this part!

Carlo
Old Mar 15, 2002, 07:30 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
I have the small Ikarus Gyro, the 65$ one.
Hmm, I guess I need to order a better gyro
The Futaba GYro, I wont have any probs with it on my JR receiver?
I got the 8103, airplane version. I assume the Gyro's just plug in like the Futaba servos would with a minor mod to the connector.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 08:22 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

I have a JR 10sx radio and my Futaba gyro works fine. I had an XP8103 and it worked fin wiht that too. You just have to remove the extra ear(you will know what I mean when you get it).

Also, I for got to mention, I inverted my Raptor using the cheap woodies that came in the Double Crash Kit. I think the blades are symmetric. Its cool that you can do these manuver with $15 blades.

Also, dont waste you $$ on 30% nitro jsut get the 15%.

So far my 4 crashes in my Raptor have cost me only $120!!! This is mainly due to that double crash kit

I really recommend you look into those ** parts I recommended.

Here is another place to look.

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/heliproz/default.asp

Carlo
Old Mar 15, 2002, 08:45 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Thanks Carlos, I pasted your previous post of all the Items you recomend, and I'll be sure to pick them up after my helicopter comes in.
I still cant get over how cheap the parts are for the raptor 30 compared to all the electric heli's.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 08:54 PM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
Most us heli guys here dont think of gassers as evil or the darkside. Hell, if I had a huge 20 acre backyard I would have a 60 size gasser. Both electrics and gas helis have their own science and each their headaches. Parts are cheaper for gassers cause theres more of them. I never understood why lighter meant more expensive cause you would think heavier meant more material. Guess it kinda like why diet food cost more than regular food.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old Mar 16, 2002, 02:22 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
JJ, its less parts cost more to produce. If it was the other way around, IC would cost more!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Mar 16, 2002, 09:40 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
Why ?
I could understand fancy materials like CF etc but the plastics are all pretty similar, is it the designer or because they are a smaller company or something ?

but it seems because they can charge more, so they do.

I pay about $15 for 4 small plastic pinions MS-EO18's, I think thats alot, what plastic is worth that ? but I need 'em or I dont fly.
Choppa Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Choppa Nutta
Old Mar 16, 2002, 10:53 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Well, I think Raptor parts are just cheaper because there is so many people who make parts for this chopper, that there is competition, AND, There is just tons more people flying the raptor than probably all the Electric helicopters combined.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 02:32 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
It does sound like king of the 30's
Choppa Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Choppa Nutta
Old Mar 17, 2002, 12:05 PM
Chicago Il.
Joined Oct 2001
82 Posts
not " dark side" just other side

I also am trying a gasser.been flying piccolo and ep concept for a year now its great.But living in chicago the wind and weather is not electric friendly.
My view of gassers(Concept 30 & robbe 60)Im flying is:
I learned on ep power so everything seems to happen much slower on the ic machines,they have longer flight times for less money and they have lots of power.
Dont get me wrong, I'l never get rid the ep's but its something new to try,their not all that bad.

Steve.
Good flying
Steve KO is offline Find More Posts by Steve KO
Old Mar 17, 2002, 03:58 PM
Hercules, California
Joined Mar 2002
16 Posts
Well, here si my way of thinking.
a- If you are concert about repair and money, Helis are not for you.
b. I have been in the heli hobby since 1,987, and if I count all the crashes, I will have a brand new sport car.(Italian or German)
c. You have it easy, heading hold gyros, programs for the computer, I have seen guys doing nose in just in few weeks. That manuver cost me several tail boom, blades, Spindles, main Shaft, etcccc.
Finally the Raptor is a great Heli, and went you get better make it Raptor 50, just longer boom longer blades and belt.
PS. Never, ever buy a OS 40 engine. Does not work
Did I say Finally?
I am here to learn from you. I do not know to much about electric Helis I have an EP, and hover, and no more. I order a Joker 32 but it not avaible yet in USA. In the mean time I read all you answers about Ecos, electric motors, etc. and you will help me to understand the Electric Helis.

Ae
Qrrambero is offline Find More Posts by Qrrambero