HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2005, 02:03 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,963 Posts
Whoops!
What do build next ? CSD P51 or Prodij

Hi All,

It is time to start another project after finishng my Moth as well as a HLG and a e-3D. There are two kits in my closet now which are CSD P-51 and Prodij that I just got. School is super busy so I may be able to finish only one of them in the following months. Each of these two have their pro and con which make me hard to decide

For CSD kit, if I can finish before the PSS-fest (May 27-29) then I can join the fun fly with some big guys in PSS. Oh boy, i saw the PSS video that I can imagin how exciting it will be. I also have some standard servos and a Slim-8 rx which can be easliy fit into the CSD kit. But the con is that we may not have a good enough wind to enjoy this heavy guy here at Santa Barbara, especially when the status of Knapps is not sure yet.

For Prodij, it will be my first composite and I am also very exciting about it. The good thing is that it can fly fast in light lift such as Ellwood but I probably need to get some new high-level servos for this baby (extra money for now).

Man, it is so hard to make a decision.. lol
Any advice is wellcome

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2005, 02:13 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Seems like the Prodij is a better fit for you up there right now, especially with your high lift spot questionable. It's hard to beat the 60" performance planes for all around flyability. I don't think you need to go crazy with the servos. 3 HS-85MG's should do it for the Prodij...unless you need or want rudder? I'll tell ya what Kai, give me one of the two planes...either one. It'll make your decision MUCH easier. No, don't thank me...it's just the kinda hearted kind of guy I am!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Feb 02, 2005, 02:31 PM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,047 Posts
Tough question. When presented with choices of airplanes, I usually consider one aspect first and foremost, which is the ability to fly in light(er) lift. I know that at my local slopes, there will be both marginal days and marginal hours in any given day. I don't like to come back from the slope having not been able to fly a particular plane for lack of lift.

Now, that's not to say that I only own light lift planes, it's just that all other things being equal, I will choose a more versatile plane over a more specialized one. Now, if you've got lots and lots of planes, you can definitely explore more options.

I know you SB guys get a lot of good flying days, but based solely on my attempts to fly at Ellwood, Knapp and Farren Road, if I were you I'd consider building the Prodij instead of the P51 for the time being. Given your limited time, it's probably likely to go together much quicker as well.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 02, 2005, 04:37 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
Kai
Looks like the votes are leaning toward the Prodij. Its a hard one but I would say assemble the Prodij. Tomi just finished his and Lance is working on his, so you will have some great info available to you and its fresh on their minds. Lance may still even need a few small items and you guys could go in on them together. Of course, flying them together will be great too.

The CSD P-51 is going to be great. If I had a chance to fly in the PSS fest I could not pass that up. The build on the CSD looks a bit more involved
( having seen my buddy Jays Aircobra) but you may be able to get them both done with some late night work. TFLG has a great build thread on the Aircobra that may help in the build of the P-51. You do have a few months so as your buddy Steve say's .....You can do eeeeeet.

Steven
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Last edited by Pegasus; Feb 02, 2005 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Csd Aircobra but sometimes spelled Airacobra
Old Feb 02, 2005, 04:50 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
8,813 Posts
Build em both. While you're waiting for glue to dry on one, work on the other. I find building two planes together does not take that much more time than building one. There's not much to building a Prodij, mostly installing the gear. You should be able to do most of that while watching the Superbowl

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Feb 02, 2005, 06:08 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Kai,
Build the Prodiji and sell the CSD Mustang to me!

Just kidding, really you can't go wrong with either one. I just flew my new Aircobra up at the Ruins yesterday and it flew great. It came out at about 27 oz with 43" wingspan, not superlight but not heavy either. I love this thing! You can build the CSD ships to match the conditions: Don't have it come out like Surfimps' Zero for flying around here except for those rare EPIC days. I also flew my Aeromod AldiJ with 3/4 lbs of ballast (Finally got the tube installed!) and that was flying very nicely too. You'll spend more time finagling with the build on the Prodiji but less on the finish and vice-versa with the Mustang. I really think the CSD PSS ships build very easily, so don't sweat the build. I'd consider what kind of building area too, the Prodiji will only have some mess from minor grinding, clearing out foam and epoxy spooge. The Mustang will make more mess with sanding wood LE, sheeting, bondo dust and paint spray. Maybe do the clean one first and the messy one second?
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 02, 2005, 07:20 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
19,923 Posts
Kai, you need to build the Mustang, because otherwise you probably won't end up going to the PSS Fest, which is a big loss because it's such a cool event. I'd argue that it's the premier Southern California slope soaring events, but I'm biased because I enjoy PSS quite a bit.

My Aircobra came out at 40oz., and it can fly around here, though not really the way it's intended to. However, when we have those really epic days, flying a PSS plane can be a lot of fun--they are good to have in the quiver

As for the Prodij, either build it alongside, or wait until after you've finished the CSD kit. With the confidence you get from the CSD plane, and the things you learn, the Prodij will only come out better. And it's the more expensive of the two kits if I am not mistaken, so it's good to bring your best skills to the table when building it!

The hardest part of the CSD kit is the wings, in terms of building. And they're not that hard! Shaping the LE of the wing is no big deal, you just do the best you can and try not to end up with a wavy mess--not hard to do if you take your time and just enjoy the process. The sheeting is easy, too---just use epoxy, and weigh it down with as much stuff as you can pile on top. There are those who will quibble over the "best way" to do it, but for your first plane that is very stress-free and should come out fine.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Feb 02, 2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2005, 09:12 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
The prodij will be easier to build and it's able to be packed down for traveling. If you can, do 2 servos for the vtail. I like to be able to adjust the servos at the hill if they are ever uneven. You could have one slightly giving up trim or down trim and you'll never know until you fly it or when the tail decides to set itself off trim. Not everyone is perfect so the linkages are never perfect. for the vtail that is. I adjust mine mech
manically and if needed later, I use subtrim. Love it!!

But if you want to join the PSS fest, start on the plane now. It's a tough job for the first time if you want it to turn out nice. You know, the sanding and fillet deal. It was hard work at first, but I bet it will be a peice of cake afterwards...

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:48 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,963 Posts
Csd P-51

I decide to build the P-51 first
Just finish the wing sheeting with balsa...
Thank you for all the informations.

-Kai
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:58 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
19,923 Posts
Looking good so far Kai! Very nice

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Buzz Evo RTF acro glider review
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:10 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Kai,
Alrighty then....Super! What weight are you aiming for and what wingspan? I've been very happy with my Aircobra and if you are going light too maybe we can do some formation "mini-pumps" together around Santa Barbara, that is if it ever stops raining!
Droydx
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:13 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Gonna be a nice one Kai...... Never saw a Pony I didnt like!!!
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:23 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Kai,
Alrighty then....Super! What weight are you aiming for and what wingspan? I've been very happy with my Aircobra and if you are going light too maybe we can do some formation "mini-pumps" together around Santa Barbara, that is if it ever stops raining!
Droydx
Droydx,
I am targeting on mid-20 to light-30 oz. I will use bass wood as LE and try to move all electric as forward as possible. Not decide what gear I am going to use and what color scheme yet.

-Kai
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:59 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
8,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai@UCSB
Droydx,
I am targeting on mid-20 to light-30 oz. I will use bass wood as LE and try to move all electric as forward as possible. Not decide what gear I am going to use and what color scheme yet.

-Kai
Your target weight might be a bit optamistic. I think you can forget mid 20s unless you got an electric kit layup. Even with an electric kit layup I doubt you could hit mid 20s using Bass LEs. Low to Mid 30s is more realistic if the fuse is a standard layup and you are using Bass LE's. To keep it as light as possible you should try to keep the ailerons and especially the tail as light as possible. This should eliminate the need for lead in the nose and hopefully allow you to even use a smaller servo on the elevator. Monokote covering instead of Solartex will also save a couple of ounces.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by TFLG; Feb 21, 2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:07 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,963 Posts
TFLG-sir,

Thank you for the information. I will keep udpating the building progress.

-Kai