HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2002, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2001
55 Posts
BalsaCraft Bristol Blenheim

Just picked up one of these for about $70. Just can't resist scale twins. has anyone built/flown one. The kit reccomends 2 sp600's. Is there any possibility of using geared 480's? I don't know how well a single pack will handle two direct drive sp600s. I also have a pair of great planes .40-size mechanical retracts that are looking for a home. Any help appreciated.

Splatman
splat man is offline Find More Posts by splat man
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2002, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2001
55 Posts
clarify

Let me clarify: will these retracts work in this plane?
Old Mar 15, 2002, 05:11 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,509 Posts
Hi Splatman

There was a recent Blenheim thread that you might find useful

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=blenheim

Hope that helps

Leccy
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Mar 17, 2002, 05:53 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Hi guys,

I only got them in this week, but I really do like the idea of a pair of Model Motors AXI 2814/12 and the Model Motors 40A ESC for the Blenheim.

I ran the hotter wind 2814/10 on 8 cells a couple of days ago and only drew 26A to turn a 9.5x5 at 10 000 revs, so give the milder wind 2814/12 a very slightly smaller prop, and we could keep the pair under 40A (but the Model Motors ESC has protection anyway)

We could also put a "twin drive" deal together.

BTW, The motors only weigh 131g each and are S600 fitting.
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Last edited by John E; Mar 17, 2002 at 05:56 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 11:47 PM
Joined Dec 2001
55 Posts
The amp draw on a couple of sp 600's (8" prop) seems to total up to about 50-60amps. This seems way too high for a single 8c cp2400. How about a couple MAX48 geared with a 9x6? P-calc shows about 32 oz static while drawing about 14-15 amps (this is with 10 cells). These would be lighter than s600's (7-8 oz) and would extend the run time. With retracts I am aiming for about 70 ozs (with MAX48). Can 2 long-can s400's really fly a 60", 4-5 pound aircraft? I need to solve this power system problem quick!
Old Mar 19, 2002, 01:33 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
17 Posts
I am flying the Blenheim (pictures -> see the other thread) with two Speed 600 Type motors and 8x4 props -> the max. current is about 45 A. For normal flying you can reduce the throttle to the half.

If you try to reduce the weight with lighter motors you have to build the tail very light !!!
My plane with the recommended drives and a fixed undercarriage has the battery at the foremost position and I use an additional small battery in th canopy area to achive a slightly tailheavy cg position !

Klaus
KBerger is offline Find More Posts by KBerger
Old Mar 19, 2002, 09:03 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Klaus,

Thanks for that note about "tail-heavy" - I have not started building my BB yet, so I can carve out a bit of weight before the parts get glued.

Incidentally, it looks like Luan or some kind of ply for some of the parts...do you feel it needs that heavier (than balsa) wood?

Thanks,

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Mar 21, 2002, 01:55 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
17 Posts
Terry,
with the exception of the tail weight is no real problem.
Due to some modifications (e.g. undercarriage) my Blenheim weighs about 2.5 kg and flies great - my impression is that the higher weight gives a more scale-like flying !

Klaus
KBerger is offline Find More Posts by KBerger
Old Mar 21, 2002, 02:51 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Available in the USA?

I have been looking for one of these kits. Is there a source for them in the USA? Anyone know?

I really like the looks of the Balsacraft kits and have many reviews of the kits. Everyone seems to review them very high.

Thanks for any information.

Bwillhite
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
Old Mar 21, 2002, 03:11 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
My understanding is that the kits are discontinued...I bought the last that Tammies Hobbies had.

You might post to the Open Discussion thread something like: "WTB Bristol Blenheim kit" and see if you get any responses.

Regards,

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Mar 22, 2002, 06:24 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
I am also building a Balsacraft Blenheim, the fuse and tail feathers are finished. I will also be using a "Real "(Clear) canopy and gun turret that I obtained from a fellow in England.(Brian Leadley)He also sent me pics of his and a sketch how to modify the fuse so that you don't have to remove the wing to replace the nicad pack. Great help!
I built my tail surfaces with scale outlines and fabric covered the elevators and rudder, replacing the solid wood for ribs.
My dilemma now is that I can't decide what motors to use

Most use stock Speed 600's with good success, but I am considering Speed 480 Race's with inline gearboxes. They are about 3 times the price of 600's but are lighter and draw less current, (longer flight times) but will they give me enough power to fly it? I don't want to use large folding props on it either, maybe fixed 3 bades. Any suggestions?

P.S. If anyone wants to write to Brian about the canopy, heres his e-mail address:
dani.leadley@ntlworld.com
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Old Mar 22, 2002, 07:05 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
480 Race/Cosmo GB

Airnut: I have the 480 Race BB/Cosmo helicals 4.5:1 mounted in mine. It's not ready to fly yet, but the 9-6 APCe seems to be the one I'll start with. Gives a nice low 12-14A per side so the CP1700's should last a reasonable time. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Aug 19, 2007, 02:35 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Balsacraft Blenheim for sale

salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Last edited by salat; Oct 26, 2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:17 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,509 Posts
If you want your appetite whetted here's a picture of my pal Kev's Blenheim - modified to take the battery through the nose, so as not to need the wing removing for charging.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Does it contain LGs?
K.
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat