HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2005, 11:20 AM
TEAM FUTABA TEAM DURALITE
Joined Nov 2004
742 Posts
In A Few Weeks

I am surprised to not see much mention of this event in San Diego that is scheduled to take place in a couple weeks...

http://www.sefsd.org/2005Events/mwe2005/Index.html

Lots of talk about Arizon event.... I will be here.. anyone else?
mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by mithrandir
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2005, 11:28 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
This event doesn't seem to have the same marketing as other events. I'm sure the turnout will be good and a lot of people that went to Arizona will be at MWE. I guess its just another event and after you've been to several of them there is nothing to talk about prior to the event. I wish I could go but I can't see making the trip out there after going to Arizona last week. Have fun.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Feb 07, 2005, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2004
742 Posts
Well.. I can see that.. buy it is a 2 hour drive for me... and I am kinda new into the "E" thing... so I am gonna go and see what I can see!!!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 06:04 PM
Joined Nov 2004
742 Posts
Well... I went.. I saw.... These guys better do some work on running a better show and choosing a DRY time of year... I heard a lot of people saying they would not come to this event again!! Not just rain, but I got an overall sense of no one being in charge. I left saturday morning. I can not comment on sunday or monday... but I did not see even any pilots meetings... did they have'em before I got there?!?!?
I was disapointed.
Arizona was much better.
SEFSD..... you guys gotta get your act together!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:19 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
This is the first MWE I have missed in several years. It has not become the premiere electric event on the west coast for no reason. Granted, this year the MWE was plagued with poor weather, but that doesn't mean that the club members didn't put a first class effort into the planning and execution.

In past years the MWE has been bursting at it's seams with a limited amount of space and a myriad of attendees and vendors. I believe last year (or the year before) there were nearly 200 pilots registered. That's a lot of flying in anyone's book.

So you know, I'm not on the attack, nor am I a member, but I am defending the guys at SEFSD because they're a great bunch who volunteer long hours before, during and after the MWE for no other reason than because they want to host a west coast e-event.

While I agree that it may work out better in the future to have it during a different season, this year was kind of a bust through no fault of the SEFSD and I am very sorry to see such an effort wasted.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:01 PM
Joined Nov 2004
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren
This is the first MWE I have missed in several years. It has not become the premiere electric event on the west coast for no reason. Granted, this year the MWE was plagued with poor weather, but that doesn't mean that the club members didn't put a first class effort into the planning and execution.

In past years the MWE has been bursting at it's seams with a limited amount of space and a myriad of attendees and vendors. I believe last year (or the year before) there were nearly 200 pilots registered. That's a lot of flying in anyone's book.

So you know, I'm not on the attack, nor am I a member, but I am defending the guys at SEFSD because they're a great bunch who volunteer long hours before, during and after the MWE for no other reason than because they want to host a west coast e-event.

While I agree that it may work out better in the future to have it during a different season, this year was kind of a bust through no fault of the SEFSD and I am very sorry to see such an effort wasted.

Daren
You make several very good points.... I only hold SEFSD a little responsible for the weather.... they know that this is a time of the year when there is likely to be rain... at least more likely then in march... or april (Early Spring Electric Festival?)... it was mentioned to me several months ago that this event has often been plagued with bad weather... so maybe I am resoponsible for attempting it too?!?!?... My biggest objection was that it was not run well.... no organization that I could see... well....OK... Tx impound worked good! But there was no pilots meeting on the days I was there...
I realize this event (Like most model events) was run by volunteers, however... For me to participate, I did not have the option of "Volunteering" my money... I paid or I didn't play... so volunteer or not, there is an obligation for the event to be well run......
Unless I hear rumor of a sudden outburst of organizational skills from SEFSD, I will stay home and fly next year!!!
Old Feb 23, 2005, 08:13 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Thanks. Your points are well taken also.

The fee mostly covers the event fee that SEFSD is required to pay the city of S.D. And SD it's them hard to host this!

Last year's MWE was the first year that SD raised the rates for a selling event. It went overnight (literally) from something like $30 to something in the thousands. I can't remember the exact amounts, but it was astronomical. You can find the details of the saga by searching for it.

The SEFSD almost had to cancel the sellig portion of the event as the club's treasury couldn't hope to recoop from the extra and unexpected increase. The vendors each kicked in to cover the increase so they could sell their wares. It was quite the tent city.

It is a pretty casual flying affair, however. In the early years the events were more structured and the pilots expressed a desire for more free flying and less events. It went so far in that direction that one year, the Evil Dr.'s Death Limbo was the only event. It has since returned to the casual scale contest and other simple events.

I hope you'll reconsider not returning. Under better circumstances there really is a lot of "E" to take in at the MWE.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren