HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:07 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Tempe, AZ (& East Valley) Watering Hole

Kamakazi and I got into a "Old Home Tempe" discussion in another thread. Unintential highjacking of the thread, but we thought it might be nice to start one dedicated to letting Tempe and East Valley electric flyers sorta gather.

We've been jabbering GWS Formosas, Tempe (and area) places to fly, various floated planes and general jabber/gossip. I'd be delighted to see the trend continued.

Soooooo, here's the chance.

I've been out of flying for about 15 years. Started out at the front edge of electrics. Today, Fedex brought us a PZ J-3 and I'm pretty impressed. The foam is strong and light, the whole package is amazingly light right off.

We've dragged a bunch of my old balsa planes out of the attic, their BARE weights are greater than this thing all up. Since I've been building since a very young age, my old ones were well done and light for the era.

We'll be recommissioning a couple of them, but the foam looks to have the edge in just about all areas!
geoffbeneze is offline Find More Posts by geoffbeneze
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2005, 09:46 PM
a really nice guy, really
Phoenix Intl, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
Foam is temporary. Balsa is forever (as you've illustrated). You can make thise heavier Balsa planes of yore fly with the right power system.

What channel is your Cub? (Please dont say four).
Ralph Brekan is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Brekan
Old Feb 02, 2005, 09:54 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi
Foam is temporary. Balsa is forever (as you've illustrated). You can make thise heavier Balsa planes of yore fly with the right power system.

What channel is your Cub? (Please dont say four).
Of COURSE it's four! That must be what they most like to "randomly" select, sigh.

However, my Optic 6 arrived today along with some other goodies, so I'll be able to recommission some of the old planes as well.

Now I expect the wind to blow for the next six weeks!

* to make wind BLOW, hang a target (or get a new toy plane).
* To make the wind STOP blowing, hoist your sails
** I've always wondered what would happen if I hung a target AND hoisted sai....
Old Feb 02, 2005, 09:58 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
I'm a just little south of ya'll down in Florence and would like to get together and fly my Slowstick with you. Unfortunatly I have to work the next 3 weekends, but after that I'll be ready!

Chris L.
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Feb 02, 2005, 10:01 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfenderman
I'm a just little south of ya'll down in Florence and would like to get together and fly my Slowstick with you. Unfortunatly I have to work the next 3 weekends, but after that I'll be ready!
Chris L.
I haven't flowin in 15 years, other than a toy Zplane. However, if the wind does like I THINK it's going to do, I'll have not only the cub up and running but probably three others by the time we can get out (G).

I haven't even met up with Kamakazi yet, but I'm looking forward to meeting some of the local area people (sans clubs trappings).
Old Feb 03, 2005, 08:26 AM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
[QUOTE=geoffbeneze]
I haven't even met up with Kamakazi yet, but I'm looking forward to meeting some of the local area people (sans clubs trappings).[/QUOTE}

that works for me too!

Chris
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Feb 03, 2005, 11:41 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
Jeez, well we cant fly Parkzone planes together.
Man, now I'm afraid to fly in Tempe at all It's my own fault flying 100-150 dollar EDF jets on PArkzone Stryker radio parts

I'm flying this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279657

and this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197039

on the STryker TX RX/ESC combo & servos.

I LOVE WIND. 10+ mph is perfect for warbirds. Even my old WWII warbirds with the ugly props on front fly better in the wind.

Trainers (highwings) have a rough time in th wind tough The J-3 is a >10mph wind plane for sure The Stryker LOVE wind.
Last edited by kamikazi; Feb 03, 2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2005, 11:47 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
Man, whats scary Geoff is that you could be at Tempe Beach w/ the J-3 Cub and I could be across the river with my Stryker and we'd crash each other for sure. I need to convert these plance to ch39 on 72mHz band ASAP. Tempe is not that big those AM radios carry far too....
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:17 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Jeez, well we cant fly Parkzone planes together.
Man, now I'm afraid to fly in Tempe at all It's my own fault flying 100-150 dollar EDF jets on PArkzone Stryker radio parts

I'm flying this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279657

and this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197039

Trainers (highwings) have a rough time in th wind tough The J-3 is a >10mph wind plane for sure The Stryker LOVE wind.
The channel conflict is temporary, just a matter of (short) time before I get that problem changed (G). You have the stryker on Four? Just have to make sure we SEE each other first (G)

I also think I'm going to have to start compiling a list of EDF models that can be had short of an arm&leg. I'm lusting over the Green F-14 at the moment.

I won't mind the wind, AFTER I get a dozen or so flights under my belt to see if I've forgotten everything or retain some of the skill. After that, I should be ok.

Got the Stryker on order, so that's a matter of time. THIS time I'll make a specific channel request, any suggestions?

THEN, I think it'll have to be the Formosa. The EDF's will have to wait a bit till I get some "current" stick time.
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:19 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Man, whats scary Geoff is that you could be at Tempe Beach w/ the J-3 Cub and I could be across the river with my Stryker and we'd crash each other for sure. I need to convert these plance to ch39 on 72mHz band ASAP. Tempe is not that big those AM radios carry far too....
Ok, here's one. On the "real" radio (72mhz) what channels are being used, are there any that are more conjested than others? Any that should be avoided.

Do you (the general you) carry extra crystal sets so you can change if there's a conflict?
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:38 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Hi,

There is a nice thread that is pretty much for all East Valley Flyers with this kind of Chatter.

Go here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...46#post3249546

The moderators may move this thread to Club Talk.

David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:42 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun
Hi,
There is a nice thread that is pretty much for all East Valley Flyers with this kind of Chatter.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...46#post3249546
The moderators may move this thread to Club Talk.
David
Checking it out now. Lots of pages, a testiment to the good, but also cumbersome to, sigh.

If the moderators feel the need to move this, it's not problem to me. Wherever they see fit is fine.

However, David, gotta understand that we're "networking" not a club or an "organization" or even a loose confederation (G)
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:51 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Hey I didn't mean to rain on your parade.

Just wanted to let you know where all the Locals hang out at.

What part of Tempe Lake do you fly from? I thought about flying there on my way home from work.

DAvid
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:59 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
CB is too crowded.
Old Feb 03, 2005, 02:02 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun
Hey I didn't mean to rain on your parade.
Just wanted to let you know where all the Locals hang out at.
What part of Tempe Lake do you fly from? I thought about flying there on my way home from work.
DAvid
Oh, I'm very sorry if it sounded like that. It certainly wasn't what I was thinking. Good lord, I own several email lists and moderate another half dozen or so, so having my "own" thread here isn't an issue! (G)

So far, I'm not flying at all, just getting back after a 15 year layoff. I expect, however, to be out this weekend, but should probably make sure Kamakazi and I hook up at least a bit so we don't shoot each other down.

For the weekend, I'll probably go to McKamy Jr High (or whatever they're calling them now, "middleschool?") Beyond that, one of the main topics we've been discussing are where to find flying areas that aren't club/organized and such.

While I may well (again) associate with a group in the future, for the moment I want all my mistakes hidden or held within a small group (G)