SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 01, 2005, 09:49 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Stevens Aero Stella: Building Thread (part 4)

This is part 4 of the Stevens Aero Stella building thread.

Part 1 can be found here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269783
Part 2 can be found here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290586
Part 3 can be found here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312892

Keep 'em coming!
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:33 PM
Papa Alpha Uniform Lima
Ashburton, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2004
518 Posts
Kyle,

Thats strange. What speedie are you using? I am using a CC25 with my 2212/26 and the throttle response and resolution is great!
Paul
Zimbo is offline Find More Posts by Zimbo
Old Feb 02, 2005, 08:58 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,195 Posts
Look at this part 4, good going guys . I am racking up some serious time this week on the Stella, all three days I have gotten between 20-30 mins of airtime before work and then another 15-30 at lunch. It is so nice with my TP2100 or 3S2P 1200's that I can fly 30min on a charge and get the performance that I am getting. When I started this crazy hobby 6 years ago I thought I was doing good getting 10 mins and I was not getting ballistic vertical at that time. I am getting good at harriers and this moring I was trying my thumbs at HA rolls, definatly going to need to work on that. How much deflection ar you guys using on your ailerons? I am getting 28deg and I am thinking that is not enough at the low airspeed.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:57 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
From Pt3 "Not sure if it will get rebuilt or set aside (leaning towards setting it aside)."

Scott let me help with that... set aside we got bid-ness to tend to
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Feb 03, 2005, 08:51 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
About time we got to part 4.
It has been blowing like crazy here, 30+ MPH, so no flying this week. Will be calm by Sat, so will be flying then.
Bill, I see the Solarfilm on your website now, but how do you actually order it? There isn't the order facility on the Solarfilm page like there is on the Solite page.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Feb 03, 2005, 08:57 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
I am busy checking it in.. just got it unloaded from the airport. Once it is checked in it will be avaliable on the site. (Tonight)
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Feb 03, 2005, 09:34 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenablimp
Scott let me help with that... set aside we got bid-ness to tend to
Sounds like fun to me

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Feb 03, 2005, 09:37 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
How much deflection ar you guys using on your ailerons? I am getting 28deg and I am thinking that is not enough at the low airspeed.

Cheers,
Jim

About 40 degrees. I actually set it (and this is going to sound ridiculous) by the way it inverted flat spins. I want to be able to use full aileron during an inverted flat spin and have it stable. Too much and it will roll out rather than bring the wings to level. Too little, and it won't go fully flat. Works for me...

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Feb 03, 2005, 10:43 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo
Kyle,

Thats strange. What speedie are you using? I am using a CC25 with my 2212/26 and the throttle response and resolution is great!
Paul
Sorry, forgot to subscribe to this thread Speed Control is a CC25, motor like u know is a 2212-26, 4 servos, about 14 amps. Don't know what the problem is. I switched to no delay hard brake to see if it was the speed controller and the problem still presits, so I don't know...
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Feb 04, 2005, 02:02 AM
Luv 2 Fly
Whetstone/Sr. Vista, Arizona, United States
Joined Apr 2004
539 Posts
I got my Stella at the AZ Fest.... started putting it together today... will put some pics up when I get them...

Had loads of fun at the Festival... met lots of people and saw lots of planes... saw some awesome flying...
DaveF is offline Find More Posts by DaveF
Old Feb 04, 2005, 08:38 AM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,195 Posts
Scott,
Sounds like I need to dial some more throw in, I have been useing the MPI MX-50's as of late, they seem to center better then the HS-55's, but I cannot find any longer arms. I have used styrene and epoxyed it to the existing arms to make them longer. Not the prettiest solution but it works. No flying this morning for the first time this week, woke up to find wind and rain but I did have a pretty good run this week, 4 days straight and two hours of airtime. It is amazing how rusty one gets after not flying much but just a couple hours and you are back in the saddle. Looks like it is going to be a great weekend so I hope to get some flying in this weekend.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Feb 04, 2005, 09:03 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
I was wondering why I didn't get any more Stella thread ...
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Feb 04, 2005, 08:17 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Dec 2002
199 Posts
Hey Bill,

Are you bringing any surprises to Toledo this year? I like the Stella but after bringing home the 40E from last years show I would love to get my hands on a 40 sized 3D ship. I like the little planes but they feel like playing and the 40E feels like flying. Scott still has time to get another prototype in the air before then.

George
Reciprocity is offline Find More Posts by Reciprocity
Old Feb 04, 2005, 10:17 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Heck, I'll even buy the prototype . From what Scott says about it, it flies well already, and it's relatively beefed up (I love that )
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Feb 04, 2005, 10:25 PM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,195 Posts
had a awsome flight after work today, 25 mins in absolutly zero breeze with a setting sun. Pulled off two of the most perfect slow rolls to date one horizontal lasting two hundred + yards and pretty darn axial and another vertical one which was not as long footage wise but easily 5-7 seconds long up an almost perfect vertical line. I know I have said this before but the more I fly the Stella the more I like it, closing in on 2.5 hours of airtime and it just keeps getting better every flight. The more I fly her I relise she is a great cross between 3D and pattern. I have flown better 3D planes (able to flop around quicker) and better pattern plane ( not much better just a bit quicker) but none that do everything the Stella does with such grace (caveat : I by no means am a expert at either) I am still learning but just love the Stella and it is definatly a better platform then any of the foam 3D plane I have flown to date. it is just the best all around 3D plane of this size I have flown to date. OK enough here, back to the Gratefull dead hour and one more wee dram of Oban .

Cheers,
Jim
Closed Thread