SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:58 AM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Here is my N2S-3 version from the GWS kit. It is glassed and painted with simple acrylic paints.

Almost done with it. Still needs some touchup and detailing.
P-40 is offline Find More Posts by P-40
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:27 AM
sticky toed flyer
Methuen, Mass, United States
Joined Sep 2004
371 Posts
Here are a couple that I shot with Testors acrylics and a cheap testors
airbrush. I hand painted the gold foil flames on the TM. A little to much weight
for the stock IPS but I installed a small cdrom and a tp1320 and it rock now.

Put the BP21 combo in the Zero and OMG it's an all new flyer.

See Ya at the field

Rick
reptilerick is offline Find More Posts by reptilerick
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:36 PM
Carl
Riverland, South Australia
Joined Nov 2004
594 Posts
That's a great looking example P-40... I would like to have a go at glassing one of these GWS kits one day, does it add alot of weight? What are you planning on using to power it?

I was considering going with the all yellow navy version with the red stripes but figured if I'm going to the extent of preparing the surface for a repaint I may as well as do something different, but I want to keep scale.

How did you do the U.S. NAVY and 407 text on the fuse sides? Handpainted or a decal?

Nice looking TM reptilerick! Is that the slowfly version? A mate I fly with has one in the stock yellow, they're fun to fly with a slight breeze around! The gold flames come up well with the green backdrop, makes it custom without being overpowering.

How does your zero go with that BP21? what prop and battery combo are you using with it? I was thinking of getting one for my corsair.
Michnet76 is offline Find More Posts by Michnet76
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:17 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Michnet76,

Thanks for the compliments. Glassing turned out to be alot easier than I thought it would be. I did not weigh it before I started, but I would guess a couple of ounces. It is powered by a Himax 2025-4200 in a himax gearbox with a 1500 Mah lipo. It requires a little over two ounces of noseweight to balance it. Lettering is 1" and 2" lettering stickers from Wal-Mart, the kind used for signage. All of the paint is Apple Barrel acrylic from Wal-Mart.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 09:53 PM
Carl
Joined Nov 2004
594 Posts
Dummy engine

Thanks P-40... I'll definatly look into glassing my next warbird, whatever that will be when the time comes. I'll keep an eye out in the local shops for some signwriters lettering... is the stuff you used vinyl cut lettering? I have a friend who's a signwriter, maybe I can get something custom made.

There's a guy on the australian ebay site selling GWS EPS300/350 brushless replacements for $60AUD so I rekon I might buy one off him and try it out, not sure what the motor specs are as he doesn't mention but I'd assume it would have to pump out more horsey's then the stock EPS350C setup. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I've also started work on my dummy engine, anything has to look better then the stock black foam job! it's made up of electrical wire, heatshrink tubing and some dodgy painting. It weighs a bit now but I'm not fussed as it'll help balance out the plane and hopefully won't have to add much more dead weight.

Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:39 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Nice Radial. Looks great. The letters are cut vinyl. They come with a few of each letter and number. I made some gear legs from balsa this evening. I'll post a pic later.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:04 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
A lot of great pics for your referance.

Just return from Germany. Take a look this thread: GWS team will meet you in 2005 International Toy Fair in Nuremberg, Germany
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331064

A lot of great pics for your referance.

For example:
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Feb 22, 2005, 05:23 AM
Carl
Joined Nov 2004
594 Posts
Just Maidened

Well the PT17's finished and had her maiden this evening. I thought I'd take some happy snaps before the big take off just incase it returned to earth in not such a good condition ;-) So I thought I had better immortalise my hard work with some photos:

On the car bonnet ready to head out to the field.

At the field, prop fitted battery connected ready to taxi out and ROG!

Yes that is a penguin in the pilots seat, he's my Tux pilot! Actually I might start a new thread regarding peoples pilots, I'm quite happy with my Tux! Keep an eye out for the new thread!

Anyway, on to the flight report... the motor I'm using is a speed 300 5.33:1 geared brushless motor with a jeti 18A brushless ESC running on 2S1P 2000mah lipo's spinning a 9070 prop. I have to admit this combination is nice. I tested this combo out on my e-starter first last night and it was nice and quick, made it fly like my corsair with EPS400C/3S lipo/1060 prop combo. The extra drag of the PT17 slowed it down a bit, but had plenty of authority in the air though. Anyway, I taxied out and gave it half throttle to establish a correct line for run up then gave it full throttle, applied a little up elevator and it leaped into the sky! I had setup up my elevator to be level with the horizonal stab. and it just nosed right up into the sky had to give it heaps of down trim to level it out. Aileron trim was perfect and rudder needed a little tweeking but was well behaved.

The ailerons are perthetic! Well after flying a souped up F4U they are! LOL! I had set them to recommended throws and gave them 30% expotential... very sluggish, so brought the bird back in... had an interesting landing but didn't crash or nose over! Adjust the ailerons to full throw (about 30mm up and 30mm down) and took off the expotential and took it back up... much better. About the same aileron/roll capacity as my e-starter. I can see I'll soon be making the upper wing aileron mod soon! LOL!. This thing has great rudder authority, hammerheads are very easy to pull off on this bird.

Got about 20 mins of broken flight time (flights of 5 mins each roughly) in with the first lipo... was starting to get dark so packed up and headed home... the 2S lipo was warm on finishing up - it is only 2000mah at 5C (10A draw) and I rekon that 300 brushless with 9070 is pulling very close, if not more than 10A so need to keep flight times short and manage throttle. She flies around at half throttle with no hassle at all, climbs and 90o banking turns are all easitly done so don't need to be going WOT all the time apart from doing some aerobatics.

All in all, a great maiden with no hassle or dramas, flew like she was on rails so the expression goes with plenty of speed and power for nice constant speed loops etc...

I had to add 3 fishing sinkers to the nose to level out the CG, this brushless motor is about half the weight of the EPS350C and the 2S lipo is pretty light so wasn't complaining of the dead weight. AUW is around 500grams - Nice!

My flying mate took video footage of the maiden and some clips from the following flights as well as some still shots of the bird flying around... not sure how it'll turn out but I'll digitise it all, upload it and post a link soon.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 05:38 AM
Carl
Joined Nov 2004
594 Posts
Here's a new thread regarding pilot figures with Tux the piloting pengium at the top of the page! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338973
Old Feb 22, 2005, 02:25 PM
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2004
166 Posts
Newly painted Spitefire it hasent been flown yet but hopefilly it will.
Helicopterkid is offline Find More Posts by Helicopterkid
Old Feb 22, 2005, 03:38 PM
Carl
Joined Nov 2004
594 Posts
Nice Spitty helicopterkid, what motor are you going to use to turn that 4 bladed prop? What size is the prop?

I have a mate who is getting another mustang and a 4 bladed prop would look great on it - keeping it scale and all.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 05:07 PM
JimThorpe, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2003
404 Posts
Great plane.
bigbear3721 is offline Find More Posts by bigbear3721
Old Feb 22, 2005, 09:07 PM
Jinx13
Manila Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
162 Posts
Here's my GWS P51 Mustang Reno Racer
I like it simple and a bit unique
Jinx13 is offline Find More Posts by Jinx13
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:57 PM
Carl
Joined Nov 2004
594 Posts
Nice stang Jinx13... I bet you don't have any issues with visibility flying it around!

Nothing like the satisfaction of a custom paintjob that's turned out well! I like to go against the flow and have something different then what else is around... infact, I didn't even like my PC looking like everyone elses... so went and designed my own...

Old Mar 01, 2005, 12:54 AM
Joined Feb 2005
30 Posts
Here is a link to a new line of paint for the RC hobby

http://www.warbirdcolors.com

This is a line of one-part, WATER-BASED, fuel-proof, acrylic polyurethane paints and primers. It sticks to anything, it dries HARD, can be sanded in about an hour, and the colors are accurate.
Chuck Graves is offline Find More Posts by Chuck Graves