HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2005, 06:01 AM
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Slingsby T-45 Swallow

Hi,

I'm trying to build a 1/5th scale Slingsby T-45 SWALLOW and I would like to know if someone has build. I need some advises on building the wings with 1,5º diatheral. And if possible some photos.

Best Regards,

Paulo Guimarăes
(Portugal)
pguim is offline Find More Posts by pguim
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2005, 07:58 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
810 Posts
Swallow Builder

Paulo,

My friend Gerry Harrison has built the 1/5 Swallow (picture attached). I will pass on your request for information to him.

Dave Smith
Seadog is offline Find More Posts by Seadog
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:01 AM
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Superb,

The model is beatifull. I'm geeting very happy to see that this model has some builders arround the world.

For me is a question of having something diferent from the ASK-8 and other very usual models.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Paulo Guimarăes
(Portugal)
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:02 PM
Joined Jun 2003
6 Posts
Swallow Questions

Paulo,

My name is Gerry Harrison and built the Swallow pictures above, if you have any questions please ask on this forum so all can learn.

Gerry Canada
Gerry Harrison is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Harrison
Old Feb 02, 2005, 04:17 AM
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your availability to help.
I have some questions related to the wings.
The root profil and the tip profil are diferent and don't have information about the point were begin the transition between the two of them.
The second is related to the dietheral. How much digrees are advised to the wing tip?

Best regards,

Paulo Guimarăes
(Portugal)
Old Feb 02, 2005, 04:27 PM
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Hi Gerry,

Let me correct the last answer. The questions ins't about dietheral but about washout. The tipas have a washout, that I presume 1,5º? Let me now how you handel to make this washout.

Best Regards,

Paulo Guimarăes
(Portugal)
Old Feb 03, 2005, 12:08 AM
Joined Jun 2003
6 Posts
Paulo,

First question regarding the wing profile..you are right the root and tip airfoil profile are all that is shown. One is supposed to use the sandwich technique to construct the ribs..this method proved inaccurate and a big waste of quality balsa. For your benefit the root airfoil on the plan is a NACA 633618 and the tip is a NACA 4412, these are the airfoils used on the full size Swallow.
I did NOT use these airfoils and chose an airfoil I was familiar and comfortable with ,the Eppler 205 from root to tip. As the orginal airfoil is thick 18 % at the root and 12% at the tip ..I retained these on the Eppler 205 to keep the look and flying characteristics as close to scale as possible. I used Compufoil to generate all the ribs and thickness qualities.. Paulo I could mail you the templates if you wish.
As for the washout...look at the left wing on the plan and under the aileron you will see an outline of a 1 inch by 1/4 inch trailing edge stock about 12 inches long...just build your aileron rib tips right up this and there is your washout. Please note the wing is built flat on the plans....your root rib is built on an angle as shown ..everthing fit together very well for me. I found no errors on the plans other than one wing is 1/8 inch longer than the other. The Eppler 205 at 18 % makes the Swallow fly very scale like...If you what it to fly even better I would leave out the airbrakes ..at 1/5 scale the Swallow does not really need them saving you building time, servos and weight..which adds up to a better flying sailplane.

Any further questions please ask.. I could display more pictures of the Swallow if you like especialy those during construction although I did not take near enough.

Gerry
Old Feb 03, 2005, 04:40 AM
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Hi Gerry,

Related to the wing profil I think you are right. I tried to do the sandwich method and it was a waste of time. If you can send me the templates and show somw building photos that will be a great help.

Best Regards,

Paulo Guimarăes
Old Feb 03, 2005, 10:48 AM
Joined Jun 2003
6 Posts
Paulo,

I will get the profile information ready this weekend and send it to you...could I get your e-mail address or realtime address in Portugal ( click on my name on this forum and send me your e-mail ). Did you understand the method of establishing the washout on the Swallow? It may be a bit confusing as the plan is not that clear and I may not have explained it a clear as you would like ....Let me know.
Till next time..Gerry
Old Feb 03, 2005, 12:57 PM
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Hi Gerry,

I have send you my e-mail contact some minutes ago.
The wing washout is done by doing a tab with the same shape as the drawing shown on the plans that allows to mantain the correct distance between the building board and the rib TE?

Best Regards,

Paulo Guimarăes
(Portugal)
Old Feb 05, 2005, 01:39 AM
Joined Jun 2003
6 Posts
Paulo,

Please use this e-mail address to contact me as I have not received your e-mail address.. glider3@telus.net

Gerry
Old Feb 08, 2005, 10:07 PM
Joined Jun 2003
6 Posts
Paulo,

Did you recieve the Swallow rib profiles i sent you via e-mail.

Gerry
Old Feb 09, 2005, 04:43 AM
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the files. Yesterday nught I tryed to print the templates and the W1 to W3 were OK. Next week I''l be doing the wood templates.

Best Regards,

Paulo Guimarăes
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Well,

The first photo of the building work. Is a small prte already done. In future I'll do my best to bring more photos.

Gerard's

Paulo Guimarăes