SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:54 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Building a Tupolev ANT-4 from 3-views

Hi gang,

Here comes my next scratch built monster project. In this case, it's not so monstrous as it's in the same scale as the ANT-20. That is, it's in 1/39 scale giving the ANT-4 a 29" span with 123 sq in of wing area. My target weight will be 3 oz RTF with a pair of N20 motors for go and powered by a 2s Apogee 245 pack.

Here is the 3-view and a screen capture of the airfoil I've selected. The airfoil was selected as it's the closest to scale and for no other reason. If anyone's curious, in this case it's a Naca 2415.

As it's easier to split steps up, I'll post as many pictures as are appropriate but not necessarily 5 per post.

Let's get started.

The first step is to drag the 3-view into autocad and then scale it as necessary to bring the wingspan up to 29". I've also dragged in the rib screenshot to be drawn over by hand.
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2005, 01:05 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Once traced, I copied that rib over to the fuselage side view so I could scale it as appropriate and, more importantly, set the proper angle of incidence.

Next I draw in the wing outlines, followed by rib placement lines. As the wing tapers and the wing has a positive incidence, where each rib placement line intersects the leading edge, there is another line drawn horizontally to aid in scaling.

Ribs are then rotated 90 degrees to be in alignment with the wing and placed on each placement line with the trailing edge of the rib matching where the line and trailing edge of the wing outline intersect. Scale the ribs and the wing is half done.
Old Feb 01, 2005, 01:18 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
In this case, I'm going to use 1/8 square balsa stock for the spar with some 1/32 webbing between. The 1/8" squares are drawn in and copied along with a 1/16 by 3/8 stiffener/ turbulator. They each use the reference lines for placement.
Old Feb 01, 2005, 01:27 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Turn off the jpgs and here's a mostly finished wing. There's just the outside edges and ailerons left to take care of.

I use small rectangles (1/16 by 1/4) as gaps for a stiffener behind the wing trailing edge at the aileron hingeline.

Once the ribs are all rotated and bunched up, that same hingeline reference line can be copied 1/16" to the wing side and 1/8" to the aileron side. to allow for a true trailing / leading edge.

That's all for tonight.

Martin
Old Feb 01, 2005, 03:21 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Yes it's got lots of character hasn't it. Right up my street.

And two thumbs up for doing something different.

I'm surprised at the 3-view source you're using. This is much more detailed :
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/tb1.html

Maybe you didn't find it or got thrown by the alternative designation TB-1 ?

Cheers

Chris P
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Feb 01, 2005, 08:56 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Wooo! Thanks, Chris. I never even thought to check the airwar site for a decent 3-view.

Martin
Old Feb 08, 2005, 12:04 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Woooo! I win the "Least Popular Thread Ever" award! I guess I'll keep this one to myself

Martin
Old Feb 08, 2005, 01:09 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hunter
Woooo! I win the "Least Popular Thread Ever" award! I guess I'll keep this one to myself

Martin
Please continue, I just found this thread.

- Joel -
MetroGTi is offline Find More Posts by MetroGTi
Old Feb 08, 2005, 01:15 AM
brushless nutjob
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2004
235 Posts
super classy subject choice.cant wait to see how this shapes up. subscribed.
Inverted_Fly is offline Find More Posts by Inverted_Fly
Old Feb 08, 2005, 03:47 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hunter

Martin
Martin
There's probably only a few of us who like strange aeroplanes. My list of 'must builds' include such beauties as the Blackburn Botha. I'm just waiting for early retirement to be able to get stuck in. I've always fancied the TB-1 as it seemed like a good project for a simple scale model to replace my Twinstar with very little extra work, if you see what I mean.

If you really want to get people to at least open your thread then use the Tim Hooper trick of nifty titles like 'what's got a big nose and eats cars for breakfast'.

Don't get too disparaged. For lovers of 'samolets' here's a shot of a model of the 'Rodina' hanging up in the Monino museum which would also make a great electric model :
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:32 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Martin,
It's simply a question of narrative practice! You gave away the punch line before telling the story. And with two threads to comment on, I think most people are putting their two penn'orth on the other one. However, I for one am interested in seeing how you've done this in structural terms, because I do have thoughts of a similar sized Sunderland, and it will have to be a fairly similar bit of engineering.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Feb 08, 2005, 12:49 PM
Joined Sep 2004
35 Posts
Martin,
Don't stop now please, you just got me hooked. This is an aspect of the hobby that is in the realm of black magic for me.
VonZipper is offline Find More Posts by VonZipper
Old Feb 08, 2005, 10:59 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
well martin -as much as i love your scratch building--you kinda lost me when you fired up the auto cad!!

i should try to get one of those programs too..but it looks a leeltle complicated..

i hope you still build this plane,,its very cool..

T
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Feb 09, 2005, 04:49 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Further info for all 'samolet' fans :

I just received two second hand books I bought on Ebay (Germany). They are both from the 1970's, were published in the former East Germany and about Russian aircraft.

Mega awesome !!!!

These are the best books on Russian aircraft I ever saw, so I'm definitely on the hunt for more.

Chris P

PS - For our foam comrades. Did you realize that there was actually a Russian aircraft called a 'Zagi'
Old Feb 09, 2005, 08:42 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Strange plane, but I think it will make one great model.

I have hopes of building the Martin B10 someday. I love strange planes.

Shawn
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn