Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2005, 06:26 AM
xtc
outrageously large member
no-where near tx
Joined Feb 2004
937 Posts
a zip launch is similiar to a catapult launch,,the tow hook is near the nose so the glider goes horizontal very fast until after release at which point the glider is rotated up to burn off the excess speed

dont try this without ailerons for roll control!

xtc
xtc is offline Find More Posts by xtc
Old Feb 01, 2005, 06:53 PM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts
O_O, wow. and i just made a hook for my RE handlaunch, anyone else chim in before i blow up my wing?
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami
Old Feb 01, 2005, 06:59 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Be sure the cg is correct...use approx 25ft of 1/8" tubing and 200ft of line....should be fine..stretch the tubing approx 2.5x its length ... I have used the 2m upstart on my gnome... and other HLG with much succ.ess... though these have stronger wings.

Mike
Old Feb 01, 2005, 07:45 PM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts
im not shure of the strength of it, it has survived many a bad v tails so far i just know when the wing and fuse were originaly biult 15 oz was competitive for javalin planes, should i not try to zip it or go ahead, its RE only
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:56 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
What i described was a hi-start launch... this works very well with smaller planes.
Old Feb 02, 2005, 02:42 AM
xtc
no-where near tx
Joined Feb 2004
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
im not shure of the strength of it, it has survived many a bad v tails so far i just know when the wing and fuse were originaly biult 15 oz was competitive for javalin planes, should i not try to zip it or go ahead, its RE only
the bungee controls the pitch the you have no yaw control while on the bungee

without ailerons you will have very little roll control at excelerated speeds???

ailerons are a must for this form of launching
xtc
Old Feb 02, 2005, 11:29 PM
Boomer
San Diego
Joined Dec 2003
159 Posts
If you are using only rubber/bungee (no string) make sure that the staked down end cannot let go (one manufacturer recommends two stakes) or you could end up like a dead vampire. Can ruin your shirt!
bomeara is offline Find More Posts by bomeara
Old Feb 03, 2005, 07:00 AM
DrCarter
Princeton, TX
Joined Jan 2005
638 Posts
You really don't have to have ailerons. Not meaning to correct another post but we have used this style of launch before models had ailerons. My first to do this with was the Skeeter when it first came out. Our local club has a once a month contest and we use small upstarts. With a slight wind we get about the same height as a good Disc launch. We have done this for over 20 years and I have seen 3 wings fold though the wind was over 15mph.

The best spot for the tow hook seems to be 1/4 inch in front of the cg. If the model is balanced perfectly, at 1/4 inch forward cg, you will not have to worry about stalls or pop offs at any wind speed and get the most altitude. The only control input needed would be rudder except for when it's time to come off the launch.
DFW_HLG_TG is offline Find More Posts by DFW_HLG_TG
Old Feb 03, 2005, 09:07 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,249 Posts
Seems to me that we are talking about 2 different launch methods. One which is a low power high start and another which is basically a catapult launch. Unless, you are familiar with both types, you could confuse the two.

The high start launch needs a tow hook close to, but in front of the CG. The catapult launch needs a tow hook considerably further forward, but not right in the nose of the plane.

XTC is discussing a catapult style launch which the plane is launched forward at a high speed. After the bungee disengages, you pull the plane up to climb. Since the bungee is controlling the direction of the plane, if you do not have ailerons, you will not have any roll control on the plane.

Thermalin is talking about an upstart launch which is simply a short highstart. RE planes can be launched easily with this method. Ray Hayes sells a "ZIP" start for HLG which is a short high start with lightweight rubber. This should be safe for most any HLG.

I would not recommend the catapult launch for HLG unless the wing has been strengthened with this type of launching in mind.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Feb 03, 2005, 10:32 AM
Delaware
Joined Aug 2004
412 Posts
We did this years ago when we wanted to even out the throwing strength of different flyers during contests. Two poles firmly in the ground about 15 feet apart. High start tubing stretched loosely in between. Twenty feet of string with key rings on each end. One key ring on the tubing, the other goes to the plane. Pull back to a pre-determined spot and let her rip. No ailerons on planes back then.
Terry
terry.cx is offline Find More Posts by terry.cx
Old Feb 03, 2005, 11:35 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,249 Posts
terry:

Interesting approach. Where were the towhooks located on the planes? How much stretch did you use?

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Feb 03, 2005, 04:31 PM
xtc
no-where near tx
Joined Feb 2004
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.cx
We did this years ago when we wanted to even out the throwing strength of different flyers during contests. Two poles firmly in the ground about 15 feet apart. High start tubing stretched loosely in between. Twenty feet of string with key rings on each end. One key ring on the tubing, the other goes to the plane. Pull back to a pre-determined spot and let her rip. No ailerons on planes back then.
Terry
place the tow hook right on the nose like the original topic of the thread and im sure you will need ailerons

xtc