SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2005, 07:27 PM
Designer of Flying Things
Overland Park,Kansas
Joined Apr 2004
480 Posts
Where to find a value on Foam Safe Glue

I just shelled out $17.00 USD on 2 ounces of Bob Smith Industries "Super Gold+" at my Local Hobby Store. I did not realize it till i looked at the sales ticket. If I can't find a deal on this stuff, I may start using more epoxy, or I may have to go back to balsa! This glue is oderless (I smoke=nose broke!), and gap filling (gotta have it).

I would not want to store more than 4 oz. at a time. Are there some better deals on foam safe glues out there? I could care less what it smells like, as long as it does it's job well.

Thanks,
Rich
-=SLaPPiE=- is offline Find More Posts by -=SLaPPiE=-
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:11 PM
New Out Of Box (n00b)
Joined Dec 2003
117 Posts
Elmer's Glue All... really does the job mate!

KJ
guitarzan is offline Find More Posts by guitarzan
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:48 PM
Joined Dec 2004
2 Posts
Rich,

I've been using UHU Creativ' craft glue with depron but haven't tried it yet with fanfold. Apply it to each piece, let it set for about 3-5 minutes and the press the two pieces together. It bonds almost instantly. The only problem is that it doesn't sand very well.
jbrik is offline Find More Posts by jbrik
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:05 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,984 Posts
I've also read in many threads here that UHU Creative works good on FFF. Still have a bucket of glues to go through here though so I haven't made it to the craft store yet to pick some up.

-uproar90
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:11 PM
Overland Park,Kansas
Joined Apr 2004
480 Posts
Thanks, I will give those a try.

PS, this is a great deal on a vat o glu
http://www.ssww.com/store/product/sku=GL419/

Rich
Last edited by -=SLaPPiE=-; Jan 31, 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:14 AM
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Try Gorilla Glue or hot melt glue sticks. Always test on a scrap piece first!
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Feb 01, 2005, 01:01 AM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
I use a mix of low temp hot glue, polyurethane glue (gorilla glue or elmer's ultimate) and UHU creative. I mostly use the UHU glue, really works great.
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Feb 01, 2005, 02:24 AM
Suspended Account
Country Rds.
Joined Sep 2003
1,827 Posts
I have tried all of the above.
Liquid Nails "Perfect Glue #1" is another good choice.
Steve Guinn is offline Find More Posts by Steve Guinn
Old Feb 01, 2005, 09:04 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Guinn
I have tried all of the above.
Liquid Nails "Perfect Glue #1" is another good choice.
I'll second that. It's almost identical to UHU creative, or at least it works just like it. I had a tube of it but no one around here carries it anymore.
-Rick
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:11 AM
Califorina
Joined Feb 2002
213 Posts
Rich

If its strength you want from a cheap but very good glue use Elmer's Probond, 2 drawbacks- its expands( need to use very little in small spaces) & 12hrs to cure but if you water it down some 4-6hrs. Light weight, sandable and you can brush it on if watered down. If you don't water it down just use clear tape to control the expanding foam.

Probond has worked for me on all types of foam discuss in the Foamie forum and Balsa wood. Only issue is the 2 drawbacks mention above.

Mike
Weldman is offline Find More Posts by Weldman
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:33 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
I've used most all the glues mentioned above. The all seem to work, some better than others in specific applications.

Still, my favorite is one that *was* sold by JK Aerotech as "Jungle Milk." They sold it to be used as a primer coat for packing tape covering on foam. For that, it worked great.

But I found that it is fantastic for building, as well. For "instant" bonding, I put a layer of the glue on each of the two surfaces, let it dry for 15 minutes or so, then put the parts together. Had to be fast, as the bond was indeed pretty close to "instant."

To be able to adust the fit, I brushed on a second coat of the glue at the end of the 15 minute period, let it partially dry so it was just "tacky," then put the parts together and "wiggled" them into place.

The glue doesn't give you a hard bond like CA, making the joint brittle. It doesn't expand like ProBond and cause sanding problems if you aren't careful.

The downside is that is has no real gap-filling ability, but other than that, it's close to perfect. It is *very* light, adding almost no weight to the model. It is a rather thin liquid and is applied with a cheap camel hair brush, so you can put it exactly where you want it.

Hippo's instructions on building his Frog talks about using a spray contact cement, sprayed into a cup and applied as I described above. He says you can cut out the parts, apply the glue to all the pieces in the order of assembly, and by the time you put the glue on the last part, go back to the first part and start putting it together. That way, you assemble the whole thing in a single sitting. (Dry and ready to fly.)

I did this using the Jungle Milk and it worked.

I've made 3 models with the one jar of Jungle Milk, still have some left. Since JKA no longer carries it, I'll have to find a substitue. I've been told that Dave Brown's Sorgum glue is probably the same stuff, so I'll give that a try when the last of my Jungle Milke is gone.

Mike S.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Feb 01, 2005, 01:47 PM
Overland Park,Kansas
Joined Apr 2004
480 Posts
You all are great! Thanks for the ideas! I'm off to Home Depot and the Hobby Lobby craft store. I know I can get Probond, and Glue All, Liquid Nails "Perfect Glue #1", and UHU Creativ' may take some looking.

I was actually looking for a deal on the CA, but after reading the glue test thread, I will probably only use the CA when I need a fast set.

I will have to run my own tests, and see what works best for me. I want foam safe shoe-goo...lol. I'm sure I will like sanding the joint better with these softer alternatives.

Arevaderchi,
Rich
Old Feb 01, 2005, 01:54 PM
Suspended Account
Country Rds.
Joined Sep 2003
1,827 Posts
I don't like the UHU Creative. I drove 80 miles round trip to stock up on it and ended up giving it away.
Some report the UHU POR glue is good, but I have not tried it.
Steve Guinn is offline Find More Posts by Steve Guinn
Old Feb 01, 2005, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
What was wrong with your UHU Creativ? For me, it sticks as well as anything, better than most. My understanding is that UHU POR is the same thing, just different labeling for Europe.
-Rick
Old Feb 01, 2005, 09:30 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=SLaPPiE=-
You all are great! Thanks for the ideas! I'm off to Home Depot and the Hobby Lobby craft store. I know I can get Probond, and Glue All, Liquid Nails "Perfect Glue #1", and UHU Creativ' may take some looking.

I was actually looking for a deal on the CA, but after reading the glue test thread, I will probably only use the CA when I need a fast set.

I will have to run my own tests, and see what works best for me. I want foam safe shoe-goo...lol. I'm sure I will like sanding the joint better with these softer alternatives.

Arevaderchi,
Rich
Hobby Lobby craft store doesn't carry UHU or anything like it. Michael's craft store does though if you have them nearby. Also the online Hobbly Lobby International carries it.
-Rick