HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
Taylorcraft for electric

Would a Taylorcraft BC-12 (Dare engineering) of 27" wingspan originally for rubber be a candidate for 2 channel electric? If so, what powerplant does anyone reccomend? Length of fuse = 16". Wing area = 104 sq in. wingloading (for rubber) 1.6 oz per sq. ft. Weight = 1.12 oz Again all rubber specs.

Thanks
datsun74 is offline Find More Posts by datsun74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2005, 03:24 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Hmmmm........Martin Hunter's 1/39 scale ANT-20 that he's just posted down in Scale has me thinking about all sorts of small scale planes, and the T-Craft is one of my favorites.

Those numbers all say something along the lines of a GWS LPS-B2C-B or C on two very small lithiums and 5g or less servos to me, aiming for an all-up weight around 3 ounces. The Stevens Aeromodel DiddleBug uses this power system and is just a bit smaller (but has less area, too) - you might look at it for an idea of what sort of equipment is involved. (There are two of them pictured next to Martin's ANT-20 at the beginning of his thread on the plane, BTW).
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 31, 2005, 03:57 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsun74
Would a Taylorcraft BC-12 (Dare engineering) of 27" wingspan originally for rubber be a candidate for 2 channel electric? If so, what powerplant does anyone reccomend? Length of fuse = 16". Wing area = 104 sq in. wingloading (for rubber) 1.6 oz per sq. ft. Weight = 1.12 oz Again all rubber specs.

Thanks
From the comments I've read about the Dare stuff, I believe you might be happier with the Bell Clipped Wing T-Craft, available from Penn Valley Hobby Center. IIRC, it includes markings for Duane Cole's aerobatic show ship...something I'd like to do myself at some point.

Good old fashioned printwood, not laser cut, it's true, but a 29.5" span clipped wing Taylorcraft will have a bigger fuselage, relatively speaking. I have a Bell kit or two and can attest that the plans are beautiful, the wood is good quality, and even the decals are great.

Their price isn't bad either...

Of course, If you gotta have a genuine BC-12, you gotta. There's always the Comet 54" span stick & tissue kit...with light eqipment, Solite or Doculam covering, and lipo batteries you'd have a machine you could fly in a gym

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jan 31, 2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 04:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
Taylorcraft

I know bigger is usually better, but given the dimensions on this plane do you guys think it is a worthwhile project in terms of flyability? I consider myself an above average builder, just not too keen on the micro rc stuff (mainly powerplants and different methods of engine mounting.) Im reading all the post I can to get an idea of whats going on with the small rc stuff. Would solite warp this construction? Im guessing i would have to sheet the whole fuse or at least from the windshield forward. Thanks again for the help.

Aaron
Old Jan 31, 2005, 04:56 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
That's a very plausible project. Do as Bernard says, shoot for a 3 oz AUW, and she'll be a nice floater.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:13 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
taylorcraft

Ok. Going to start project tonite. Just looked at motors on Aeromodel site. Would gearing make a difference? There are 3 combos listed for gearing. Any reccomendations? Sorry Im new at the motor selection thing. See this link: http://www.stevensaero.com/cart/cart...category_id=44
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:17 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
It all depends on how much prop clearance you're going to have. I'd say any will work as I'm sure you'll be able to fit a 7" prop on the Taylorcraft. Myself personally, I'd base it on what's the scale size for the airplane.

Martin
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
Taylorcraft

Ok, thats done. Can you give me some direction on what I would need with the electronics setup. I know Im going to need 2 micro servos, lightweight batteries, micro reciever, and electronic speed control? How do I match up batteries with specific motor, or does it matter. I know my choices are limited due to weight. thanks again for help. Ill post pics when I start.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:30 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
As I say, do a little searching for DiddleBug threads and look at what's in them. Similar size and weight, and therefore similar constraints on components. At the moment the hardest part will be the battery as both the Etec 250s and the Apogee 245s are discontinued and the CBP 300s are out of stock. There are larger packs around, but they're rather heavier than the 0.5 ounce any of these weigh.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
Taylorcraft

Will do and thanks for the help.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 07:16 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Datsun, last time I checked (when I ordered one), www.zebrahobby.ca had Apogee 245's in stock. He only ships to Canada as far as I know, but if you're up here it's a possibility. Another possibility is the Apogee 420. I have one but haven't tried it yet. It weighs in at only 0.7 oz, so only 0.2 oz more than the 245 but flight times would be phenomenal.

For servos I'd just go with plain ol' GWS Pico BB's (not BB+'s as they're heavier) and use a berg 4 or GWS R4P for the rx.

Martin
Old Jan 31, 2005, 07:45 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
taylorcraft

What about a esc? I noticed someone had a cirrus micro joule pack but those are a whopping $140. Would that be the way to go? I think I could get by cheaper.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:01 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Any brushed ESC will work but about the lightest you'll find is the CC Pixie 7. I use one and love it.

Martin
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:01 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
I found ETec 250s here: http://www.eflightdesigns.com/cgi-bi...cts.cgi?CAT=19. I have never dealt with this vendor, so I can't advise you there.

I have a Pixie-7P in my DiddleBug for the ESC. Shorten the wires a bit to save some weight. No need to go to the MicroJoule stuff.

The rest of the equipment in my plane is the Berg 4 MicroStamp receiver and two Cirrus CS-4.4 servos. I'm tempted to try the new tiny Blue Arrow servos that Balsa Products has as an alternative......
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
equipment for taylorcraft

ok, heres what im going with:

gws pico bb servos
pixie 7p esc
gws pico rx 4 channel
etec 250 lipos
GWS LPS-B2C-C motor

Im guessing from reading I will need a crystal for the rx as well to match my radio? Im using a donated Futaba 6YF-FM with a 72.370 frequency (29?)crystal in tx.

I think that about covers it?

All of this totals about $150 (engine and batteries included). Why couldnt one go with the cirrus micro set up. I guess its all about the same?
Last edited by datsun74; Jan 31, 2005 at 09:28 PM.