HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2001, 11:57 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,640 Posts
Plan ideas - What do you think?

Since my last posting about plans seems to have gone to cyber heaven, I thought I'd see what you thought of these possible designs:-
SPERRY MESSENGER
KINNER 'CANARY'
1911 HIRONDELLE
AVRO AVIAN
BLERIOT PARASOL
Sorry, couldn't resist another '14-'18 type.
Do please let me know which, if any, appeal to you.
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2001, 02:00 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Try this one: http://www.adrageous.com/burgessdunne/listings.html

The Sperry is too cute to ignore any longer!

Ditto the Kinnear

Regards

Dereck

[This message has been edited by Dereck (edited 09-06-2001).]
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 06, 2001, 03:18 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,640 Posts
Dereck,
What is it with you and this plane?
I'd need to study some three views before I'd even consider something like this. It's a little unusual even for me.
Pete
Old Sep 06, 2001, 03:43 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
So, Peter, does that mean that you only need a 3 view? I have a small one or you could get a copy from John Sizer over there.

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Sep 06, 2001, 05:32 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,640 Posts
Oh good grief Martin, Dereck doesn't need any encouragement. Mind you, you could always build one a bit smaller than your usual models.
Old Sep 07, 2001, 02:02 AM
Canyon Country,Ca USA
Joined Dec 2000
16 Posts
Go for the Sperry Messenger!!
Jim Catlett is offline Find More Posts by Jim Catlett
Old Sep 07, 2001, 04:13 PM
Castle Valley, UT
Joined Dec 2000
143 Posts
The Hirondelle (swallow) is on my list for some time in the distant future. It gets my vote! Sam
SamW is offline Find More Posts by SamW
Old Sep 07, 2001, 05:14 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Dec 1999
476 Posts
The Messenger is certainly a good looker to my eye.

I'll show my leanings towards Golden Age biplanes by suggesting a Stampe, Waco, Great Lakes, etc whenever you want to look a little later in time!

Ted
tiggs is offline Find More Posts by tiggs
Old Sep 07, 2001, 10:01 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Peter
Back when I was just starting in RC and still had time to tinker with all sorts of stuff (I was in the RAF, as opposed to working for a living ), I built this little thing out of dear old Aeromodeller, called "Fozzle".

It was about the ultimate in semiscale Dunne tailless bipes, FF for a Telco CO2 - if you remember those things. Fozzle was two parallel chord, swept back wings, about 12" a panel, trim tab / elevons on the ends, held apart - or even together - with a centre full depth 'fuselage' and tip skirts between the full chord of the tips, so they did fin stuff as well.

You trimmed it by tweaking the elevons up from a starting reflex setting. That little device would wizz around holding height in around a ten foot circle for minutes on end, in a real steep bank but still hold height.

I've often wondered why I don't dig out the plan - I know its in there someplace - and make a bigger one. From there, its a hop to a Dunne.

But you seem to have a better knack around little bitty RC than I ever have.

Besides, you need a challenge ...

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 08, 2001, 02:24 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,147 Posts
I have seen a large wet power Dunne flying at one of the La Ferte Alais shows in France, built by a German chap I believe. It was a remarkable stable flyer for such a fragile looking contraption, even in the rather gusty conditions prevailing at the time. I am working on a scale flying wing for Sp400 power too (Dereck knows which one), and I would love to see someone design a small Dunne.

Go for it,
Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Sep 08, 2001, 03:04 AM
Bath,Somerset,UK
Joined Sep 2000
82 Posts
Hi Peter,

Bleriot parasol would be first on my list,infact any bleriot,cant stop building them!!!.
But i am sure other members will gladly advise on what aircraft to design next,the problem is that there were so many good old aircraft,some good looking,and some bad!!!,and most of them,would be well worth modelling,i think you said this yourself Peter,in a previous article,afew months ago,about that strange looking aircraft,name escapes me now,sure you know!!,infact might dig it out and build it!!!.
Good luck,and we await your next plan

Cheers

Taube

PS Got your e-mail
Taube is offline Find More Posts by Taube
Old Sep 08, 2001, 06:15 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,640 Posts
Taube
Which strange looking aircraft? Some people would say that most of my models fall into that range.
I know I definitely said something along those lines in the DH6 article, but it could just as easily have been the Renard or the Botali Pama. There Again, it could have been.....
Old Sep 09, 2001, 02:14 AM
Bath,Somerset,UK
Joined Sep 2000
82 Posts
Hi Peter,

You are right,most are very strange!!!,but are classic,the early aircraft do have a special charm,and nothing can take that away,and seeing the aircraft,in model form, fly,just cant be beaten,yes on the DH6,but looks good in the air!!!!

Cheers

Taube
Taube is offline Find More Posts by Taube
Old Sep 09, 2001, 07:26 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
314 Posts
Hey pete,
The Sopwith Swallow looks good or to quieten Dereck down a bit try this http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/otproj.../triplane.html
Yup, The blokes at the Nieuport factory just couldn't help themselves. I eagerly await your version!....Well you asked for it!!
hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Sep 09, 2001, 10:02 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,640 Posts
Hugh,
You do realise that those comments are tantamount to sacrelige don't you? They are most certainly slanderous. Despite how much I love Nieuports, even I can't be goaded into building their triplane. Well, not this month anyway.