HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2005, 04:05 PM
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
208 Posts
A few questions on my new dragonfly..TIA

Hi fellas..took the plunge and bought a dragonfly...i know some of you hate it, but i have had great luck with GWS stuff in the past. I have NO heli experience so i will be learning. Couple of questions.

1. It came with a 300 motor..should i be swapping it out for a 150??? I see that they dont come with the 300 any more..should i make this change, or am i ok??

2. I read that people are adding heatsinks to the mixer board..where would i find one of these heatsinks..and where does it go on the board??? I looked on several of the vendors sites on here and didnt see a heatsink listed for the board.

3. battery choice. Is the GWS 2s 1300 a good choice? the price is nice, so i am wondering if people are having luck with this battery?

thanks for any advice. I am sure that once i gert it up in the air [hopeful] i will have lots more questions.

TIA

asr
ramw5p is online now Find More Posts by ramw5p
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:38 PM
St. Louis Mo.
Joined May 2004
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramw5p
Hi fellas..took the plunge and bought a dragonfly...i know some of you hate it, but i have had great luck with GWS stuff in the past. I have NO heli experience so i will be learning. Couple of questions.

1. It came with a 300 motor..should i be swapping it out for a 150??? I see that they dont come with the 300 any more..should i make this change, or am i ok??

2. I read that people are adding heatsinks to the mixer board..where would i find one of these heatsinks..and where does it go on the board??? I looked on several of the vendors sites on here and didnt see a heatsink listed for the board.

3. battery choice. Is the GWS 2s 1300 a good choice? the price is nice, so i am wondering if people are having luck with this battery?

thanks for any advice. I am sure that once i gert it up in the air [hopeful] i will have lots more questions.

TIA

asr
Hi , On the first question...... No!, Keep 300 motor I have two EM 300 dragonfys and one EM 150. The 150 drinks the batterys up a lot quicker, at least on the one I have with out giving very much power. The 300 motor is a lot more efficient. When you choose to go to better blades,and you will need this. the GWS blades are to pliable and will ware very fast. The new ones will requier that extra power. First symptom is the Death Wobble. Heli shakes a lot before taking off and wobbles about in the air and is very uncontrolable. this can cause the PHA-01 to over heat, which will cause tail rotor to spin to fast at very low thottle or no thottle. Once again making heli uncontrolable. Also if this happens DO NOT CHANGE SETINGS ON PHA 01! Leave radio on and un plug battery wait a few seconds and plug it back in and wait for green light. EM 300 is a very good starter heli!!! but be aware that the blades willl ware quick and give the false idea that heli is bad ,or PHA-01 is bad.. For a very good up grade go to www.like90.com these are the ones you will need. Also get head stifiner.

On second question.... You may or may not. I have yet to need heat sinks on any of my helis. just check that all rotating parts are in true. Main shaft, tail motor shaft, Flybar shaft is even. Also after you have put a little time on main blades , check mounting holes for oblong. this can cause them to rotate untrue. GWS blades do not last very long under a load. these are my findings.
one more thing, If you have more then one battery. give your heli a littel breake between batterys. This will prolong life of motors and keep PHA 01 healthy Also Crashes involving the main blades can prematurely ware out main blades. Just becuse you can't see any damage dose not mean it's not there. balance can be wiped out on one hard blow.

On third question.... The green battery pack is ok for about a day! In other words YES!!!! the GWS 7.4 Li-Poly packs are the bomb!!!!!!! For mouting them in CG place check JARHEAD HELI CLUB thread Look at the photos that The lost has posted.

Have fun with that Dragonfly!!!
I love all three of mine
If you have any other questions come back, we will all be here ,

Son House
Son House is offline Find More Posts by Son House
Last edited by Son House; Jan 29, 2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 07:25 AM
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
208 Posts
Thanks

I apreciate your input!! Ill get some of those parts you mentioned.

thanks again

asr
ramw5p is online now Find More Posts by ramw5p
Old Jan 30, 2005, 09:02 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son House
SNIP
the GWS blades are to pliable and will ware very fast. The new ones will requier that extra power. First symptom is the Death Wobble. Heli shakes a lot before taking off and wobbles about in the air and is very uncontrolable. this can cause the PHA-01 to over heat, which will cause tail rotor to spin to fast at very low thottle or no thottle. Once again making heli uncontrolable.
Also if this happens DO NOT CHANGE SETINGS ON PHA 01! Leave radio on and un plug battery wait a few seconds and plug it back in and wait for green light. EM 300 is a very good starter heli!!! but be aware that the blades willl ware quick and give the false idea that heli is bad ,or PHA-01 is bad.. For a very good up grade go to www.like90.com these are the ones you will need. Also get head stifiner.SNIP
Son House, your information is misleading and incorrect. The "Death Wobble" is NOTHING to do with the power of the motor, but is a direct result of the blades being unbalanced. With a standard helicopter, this is usually due to the blades being out of alignment, causing the helicopter to wobble. It will NOT have any direct effect on the PHA-01.

The blades on a 300 Dragonfly will NOT wear out quicker than on a 150.

If you do not know the correct answer, it is best not to give advice.....
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jan 30, 2005, 09:13 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Dec 2004
52 Posts
[QUOTE=Son House] For a very good up grade go to www.like90.com these are the ones you will need. Also get head stifiner.

What part # is the Blad up grade . Is it this one for the Dragonfly 300
FP238HHS
sellis4740 is offline Find More Posts by sellis4740
Old Jan 30, 2005, 09:33 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
[QUOTE=sellis4740]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son House
For a very good up grade go to www.like90.com these are the ones you will need. Also get head stifiner.

What part # is the Blad up grade . Is it this one for the Dragonfly 300
FP238HHS
Yup... the FP238's are the ones you want. (Make sure you get the CF head stiffener)

BUT... Im not sure i would suggest learning on the Like90 blades. Learn to hover on the stock blades.. then put on the like90's.

~Brian

PS. I use the 2s 1300mah gws packs on my DF.. they work great.
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost
Old Jan 30, 2005, 09:35 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramw5p
I see that they dont come with the 300 any more..should i make this change, or am i ok??

... GWS still makes the 300 DD tail DF. They just dont put it in the full kit anymore.
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost
Old Jan 30, 2005, 09:41 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLost
... GWS still makes the 300 DD tail DF. They just dont put it in the full kit anymore.
EM300H will be avlible again on massive production line when we start to produce PHA-01+ ready.

I guess there will be a gape for a few months out of stock.

Sorry, if this cause your inconvenience.

GWS do not wish some peoples keep attacking us...
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Last edited by GWS4CEO; Jan 30, 2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 09:43 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Dec 2004
52 Posts
Head Stiffner

Thanks. for the info. I do have a head stiffner from heli hobby it should work fine because it cost me $18.00 LOL
sellis4740 is offline Find More Posts by sellis4740
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:42 AM
St. Louis Mo.
Joined May 2004
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
Son House, your information is misleading and incorrect. The "Death Wobble" is NOTHING to do with the power of the motor, but is a direct result of the blades being unbalanced. With a standard helicopter, this is usually due to the blades being out of alignment, causing the helicopter to wobble. It will NOT have any direct effect on the PHA-01.

The blades on a 300 Dragonfly will NOT wear out quicker than on a 150.

If you do not know the correct answer, it is best not to give advice.....
I do not think you read it correctly. I stated that the blades will become more pliable faster. This is infact what happend to my helis. I have both 150 and 300. Was instructed on what to do. I spent the money made the changes and the out come was what was advised. The only thing any of us can do is speak from our own experiance. I have for sure seen opposing view points here and tried both until I found a solution. Also I got my first heli which was a 300 from www.gwsparts.com and was flying it pretty good after only a few weeks. Later I got the 150 just to see the diffrence. I found it a little underpowered. AGAIN THESE ARE MY FINDINGS!!!!!! Whats more .... A bent shaft or untrue balance in blades can most certainly cause the PHA 01 to overheat. It would be just like as Gerald at GWS parts puts it Holding the rotor head and give full throttle. If you think that will not effect VCD (Voltage control device), Try it. I am for sure no expert on micro heli. But attention to these things have made my learning curve very fast. IT WORKED FOR ME! I will not go back and forth with you as so many do on this forum. Just post in your opinion what you think is correct.

Son House
Son House is offline Find More Posts by Son House
Last edited by Son House; Jan 30, 2005 at 12:43 PM.