SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2005, 01:49 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,868 Posts
Sterling Sukhoi 26

Picked up a case of the "I want to build a Sukhoi 31" but there seems to be a lack of models for EP. I found an old thread over on "Scale" where a Sterling Sukhoi 26 with a 26" span was converted, replacing the whole wing in the conversion with a symmetrical one. The model apparently was available frequently on eBay so I went looking for one. No Luck. After searching the web I found a hobby shop in Michigan that said they had one so I bought it for $30 including shipping. I think it will be great for a CDROM motor or one of the small motors like the AXI 2204/54 which I just happen to have.

It arrived in pretty good shape - a little crease in the canopy. It said Sterling Models by Estes on the box, but when I searched the web there was nothing to be found of any Estes Industries that sold model airplanes I guess they must have bought Sterling, put together some kits, then decided not to go into the model airplane business.

The hobby shop is on the web, but you have to call to order:

http://www.prop-shop.com/

The kit looked pretty nice, the die cutting was ok and the quality of the wood was good. There are two rolled up plans - one for the wing and one for the fuselage. There is a canopy and a plastic cowl, wing fairings and louvers for the fuselage, also a nice decal sheet.

After looking at the design, it is true the wing isn't symmetrical, but it looks ok and I decided to use it, if possible. Being a rubber power model it is a bit fragile with the 1/16" balsa sticks and there are no working control surfaces. I changed out the balsa sticks for basswood all around, except for the leading edge which was replaced with a harder balsa stick and modded the wing for ailerons. The placement of the stringers on the wing is great for making this modification.

The stringers were trial fitted to avoid mashing one of the ribs during assembly. A 45-degree diagonal was marked on the ribs just behind the rearward stringer on the top. Then the wing was assembled. After assembly the aileron was cut free flush with the two stringers. After cutting free the diagonal was cut off and 1/16" balsa glued to the back of the wing and front of the aileron. Two little pieces had to be made using the second rib for a template and extending it about 1/16" further for the inboard side of the aileron and the wing
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Jan 29, 2005 at 01:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2005, 02:25 PM
How am I not myself?
Montréal, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
249 Posts
Nice plane. I was also looking at the threads on that plane yesterday. It makes a very nice conversion model. There is also an Extra kit by Sterling. Keep the pictures coming.

Samuel
Park_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Park_Pilot
Old Jan 29, 2005, 02:36 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2003
355 Posts
I converted the Sukhoi and the Extra. A CDROM motor will give these near unlimited vertical. Great planes. I think I submitted some build threads a year ago or so. You may want to check it out.

I used bass wood stringers. The wing/fuse connection needs some beefing up. I snapped a wing during a series of snap rolls. My landing gear was CF rods. I'll see about snaping some photos for you.

Will
Will
Will-MO is offline Find More Posts by Will-MO
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:16 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,868 Posts
Will,

I just checked out your Sukhoi threads and am even more motivated. I figured the wing to fuselage needed some help so I have left the leading edge and all basswood stringers longer so I can come up with a stronger mounting scheme. I think the landing gear will be plugable because I fly on a grass field and am afraid they would be toast after the first landing. I mashed some of the fuselage formers during assembly and would recommend checking the stringers fit before assembling so as not to put any unnecessary force on the formers. Also maybe smearing some glue on them for strength and let it dry before assembly. I am thinking of adding some basswood cross bracing on several of the formers

Len
Old Jan 29, 2005, 04:38 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2003
355 Posts
Yep, the balsa in the Sterling kits is pretty fragile.

The Sukhoi took a Radio hit and piled in pretty good. I have two more kits and another Extra waiting for me to build. The Extra is still a great little flyer. The CDROM motor really makes both of these pretty awesome planes.

The Extra has a little dihedral while the Sukhoi didn't. It did make a flying difference. The Extra was pretty hands off, while the Sukhoi kept your attention all the time.

Will
Old Jan 29, 2005, 08:45 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,868 Posts
Tail feathers almost complete. It weighs 1.4 ounces at this point. Next will be figuring out how to place the radio gear.
Last edited by LenBFP; Jan 29, 2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:58 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2003
355 Posts
BTW, I added the rudder and Elevator tags and It actually made it fly worse. I talked to a couple guys and they has some fancy reasons, but their scientific answers are no longer in my memory bank...

Looked really cool though..
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:24 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,868 Posts
Quote:
BTW, I added the rudder and Elevator tags and It actually made it fly worse. I talked to a couple guys and they has some fancy reasons, but their scientific answers are no longer in my memory bank...
When you say "tags" what is it that you are referring to? Trim Tabs?

Len
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:18 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2003
355 Posts
No, its those rudder/elevator assist tabs on the ends of the elev. and on top of the rudder. Don't know the real term. They are scale, but these little planes don't need them. The rudder didn't cause the issues, it was the elevator. I should have just made it straight and simple. But then again the whole thing could have been my flying....

It appears that you have made yours to scale with those fragile ends/tabs on the elevator like I did. They look great. The plane needs very little elevator throws and will snap in a heartbeat if your used to the bank and yank flying style.

Will
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:27 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,868 Posts
Will,

Those things are to aerodynamically ballance the control surface.

The SU - 26, 29, 31 models are famous for snap rolling. I think keeping the weight down is probably the best solution. A lot of "short coupled" (short fuselage) taper wing aircraft models like WWII fighters exibit that behavior and it only gets worse as the wing loading goes up. My friend has a Dynamic Hotliner that was a bear with NiMh batteries, but when he went to lipos it got fairly tame.

Len
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:22 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2003
355 Posts
Len,

Gotcha...

I think the guy who I was speaking about this was Bill Stevens ( Stevens Aero) he said when he build the first IPS Cap232 it had the little balance thingies on it. He removed them and the plane flew better. I dunno.... They do look cool however..

You are making me think about starting another Sterling Sukhoi 26... I look forward to seeing your build.

Will
Old Feb 04, 2005, 03:40 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,868 Posts
Got to do some more work on the Sukhoi 26. Put in the aileron torque rods. Just took an old set from a Formosa and cut them down a bit. I will use either a small diameter aluminum tube or old goldenrod push rod material on the aileron that the wire will slip into. I will either use the CA hinges or tape the aileron. As you can see I decided to mount the wings before covering and will plank the wings out a rib with 1/32 balsa sheet to make it easier to cover.

Len
Old Feb 08, 2005, 11:49 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2003
355 Posts
Great idea on planking the wings. Should strengthen that weak point of the plane.

Looks great so far.

Will
Old Mar 13, 2005, 05:45 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,868 Posts
Finally got around to covering it. Used the only colors of Solite that I had. Set in the servos to check weight and ballance. It weighs 5.1 ounces so it looks like the flying weight will be around 6.5 ounces. Hopefully it will get finished up today.

Len
Old Mar 13, 2005, 05:59 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Fly that thing!

I built the wing and fuse last year. Promptly lost the canopy

...I'm looking for something to raise the enthusiasm to get me to finish it, but it will probably lose out to an own-design pattern ship next.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM